Mountain Project Logo

Anyone climbing at Rocktown this weekend? (2/12 - 2/15)

Original Post
JD Borgeson · · Little Rock, AR · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 2,064

I'm thinking about traveling there from Arkansas alone and wouldn't mind climbing with some folks if possible. spotters are always nice in a strange land. will bring local beer. first time at rocktown, but can usually climb at least v5 in most areas I've visited (besides my one day at HP40).

Alex Martin · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 66

My girlfriend myself and,my dog are going,to,rocktown on Tuesday through Saturday. More the,merrier

PCowan · · Loveland, Co · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 5

Just a FYI from another thread:

sharyl
2 days ago

quote | flag
heads up on rock town if you head that way. part of rocky lane washed out and you can't access rock town via chamberlain rd (big fines if you try to go in this way). To get to rocktown you will need to go out hogjowl rd to dogherty gap.

parkmaps.com/USA/Georgia/State...

It has been years since that was my home crag, but my memory of the gap drive was one of serious 4x4 requirements. Maybe a current local can chime in on the approach?

Good luck that place is a gem.

Alex Martin · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 66

Well that blows seeing how,I spent months planning this trip. Any info on access would be much appreciated

michael sticher · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2011 · Points: 0
seclimbers.org/modules.php?…

Hate to beat a dead horse here...I've never taken that back road, but a recent MP thread had several people indicating that it was passable without 4wheel drive.
sharyl Crossley · · Chattanooga, TN · Joined May 2013 · Points: 0

You don't need 4wheel vehicle, but it is rutted and slower going than the other access. I've driven it in 2wd, 4cylinder Chevy s10 pickup. It's also a very scenic route. Higher clearance vehicles will have an easier go...it's fine if take your time.

JD Borgeson · · Little Rock, AR · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 2,064

Was there weekend before last. I think the road has had some work done because there was not a single section I would even consider rough. a camry could make it easy.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "Anyone climbing at Rocktown this weekend? (2/12…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started