Mountain Project Logo

Yosemite April 1st to mid April

Original Post
Malin Andersson · · Uppsala · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 15

Hi!

I'm looking for people to climb with in Yosemite April 1st to mid April. It will be my first time there so it would be great to climb with someone who knows the area, but someone new to the area would be cool as well. Then we can explore together :)I would just be really happy to find a climbing partner!

I mostly sport climb, can lead 5.7 to around 5.10c. Can follow up to around 5.11c/d. Would love to do some 1 day multi-pitches. I've been climbing for 4 years.

A bit about me, I'm from Sweden, 28 years old. I love to travel and to spend time outdoors. Going to Yosemite will be a dream come true, there are no big walls like that in Sweden :)

Best, Malin

Patrick M · · Greely Hill, CA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 10

Hi Malin,

I will be out West from March 22 through April 22 climbing Southern California/Nevada, but would like to do some climbing on Sierra granite. I have never been to Yosemite but would love to partner up if you find no one else. I climb the same level as you for sport, and also lead trad up to 5.9 and have all the gear+rope. I am an experienced/safe belayer and hope for the same with my partner. Let me know if you would like to meet as my schedule for my trip is flexible at this point.

Patrick

Hi Patrick!

Would be great to partner up! And nice that you also have trad gear, opens up for many more possible climbs in Yosemite I assume :) I have gear+rope for sport climbing. Sounds good that you're an experienced and safe belayer, I would say I'm that as well. Though, I'm pretty new to multi-pitching.

My plan is to head to Yosemite March 31 or April 1 from San Francisco, and then stay for about to weeks. So I could meet up during that time.

/Malin

Muscrat · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 3,625

Make alternate plans. There is a good chance the valley will be wet. Have you ever placed gear? There are a few lines to get your head around gear in the valley, but if you only have a couple of weeks you might want to get a head start somewhen sooner? Multi-pitch is serious stuff, even on something like Manure Pile. What are your sleeping plans? Do you have a bucket-list? There is sport climbing in the valley (i hear), but it is limited and bold.
Ever heard of Smith Rock? Sierra east side? Might check it out.
$.02

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

Yeah, like Muscrat said, don't go to Yosemite for sport climbing.

Here's a book you might want to consider, but looking at the table of contents, I still don't see much sport climbing (and not really aware of any based on my limited experience there):

supertopo.com/packs/yosemit…

Lenny Kozlov · · San Francisco · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 5

Hi Malin
I'd probably be in Yosemite 3-4 days during that period

Are you into crack climbing? Yosemite trad and multipitches are mostly about cracks. There are some sport climbing routes but trad is way more interesting

Thanks for the advice everyone :)

I'll go to Red Rocks first and then head to Yosemite in the middle of April instead. I really want to go there even if I can't climb that much. Hopefully there is something I can do, or perhaps I can take a course. I have 2 months in total so Yosemite is not my only stop.

Then I plan to go to Smith Rock after that, I have been there before. Very nice place and lots of sport climbing:)

I haven't done much crack climbing, but would be fun to try it.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California Partners
Post a Reply to "Yosemite April 1st to mid April"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started