Mountain Project Logo

What's a piece of gear not many people own, but you use/recommend?

highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 35

I don't understand why you guys are trying to climb either wearing your wedding ring or drag it up the route with you. Mine stays home or at least in the truck. If I forget, I clip it to my keys. There's nothing on my rack I haven't dropped at least once.

For my contribution, a super thin packable windbreaker. Mine gets about as small as a baseball and easily fits in a pocket on multipitch and is always in my bag. It's been up walls and sport climbs alike. It adds a ton of warmth and comfort for no extra carrying effort. Mine is pullover style to keep the bulk down from zippers. It has several patches.

I would suggest a middle of the line windbreaker. Too low and it'll be heavy and have a liner and pockets. Too high and it'll be flimsy, although it'll pack down to about the size of an egg.

Nathan Self · · Louisiana · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 90

HighAltitude,
You drop lots of stuff. Aren't you afraid of micro-fractures?

Also, my ring doesn't weigh that much, so there's no hauling involved. Have you tried using a 3:1 for that baller band of yours?

highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 35
Nathan Self wrote:HighAltitude, You drop lots of stuff. Aren't you afraid of micro-fractures? Also, my ring doesn't weigh that much, so there's no hauling involved. Have you tried using a 3:1 for that baller band of yours?
I've been climbing for a long time, so basically if it can happen, I've seen it happen. I actually can't remember the last time I dropped something but I know it can happen. Why lose a ring.

As far as my baller band goes, it's titanium and my biners are aluminum, so I'm certain that within moments of me mixing those metals that there would be a fire, or galvanic black hole, or something. Best not poke the sleeping bear.

Nice

Scottmx426 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 0

+ 1 for peanuts and offsets DMMs. Also nice for yosemite is offset cams in small finger sizes when that pin scar or flare is all you have.

Trevor Burke · · SF Bay Area · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 5

belay glasses

Nice one, DRusso. I attach my chalk bag with a quick link, so it's a double duty bailer.

Nkane 1 · · East Bay, CA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 140
DRusso wrote:Quick Links are the best cheap bail biner and also can be used to leave on a sketchy rap anchor.
C'mon guys, we've been over this. Don't use quick links as bail biners. They're a pain for the next person to climb the route and they rust shut. Use a biner as a bail biner. Facing the loss of $6 will incentivize you not to bail.

C.f. mountainproject.com/v/what-…
mountainproject.com/v/links…
mountainproject.com/v/baili…
& cetera & infinitum
Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,419
Rich zz wrote:What's a piece of gear not many people own, but you use/recommend?
Not all this common stuff.....We all carry cord, nut tool, various micro wires....

Loaded side ways?
Fixed! Cool....that's a1st...

Anyone else have one ( or more )
Of these?

Case of KetelOne for climbing?
nah, Not so much....
But prolly why it loaded side ways... Ha!
Dolt crag sak/rope bag
Full, clam shell opening, lite-weight, Super tuff construction, almost 50 years old.
matt c. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 155
DRusso wrote:Quick Links are the best cheap bail biner
There is a special place in hell for you.
DR · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2014 · Points: 974

You are right, don't use quick links as bail biners. They are a pain to get off for the next person, but are still helpful for backing up/replacing sketchy anchors.

matt c. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 155
DRusso wrote:You are right, don't use quick links as bail biners. They are a pain to get off for the next person, but are still helpful for backing up/replacing sketchy anchors.
Glad to see you are a born again biner bailer.
Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,419
Rich zz wrote:What's a piece of gear - not many people own, - but you use/recommend?
Kong, HydRo-bot latest version.2015
,Un-common , New , Foreign, Cross-over from other activity,
ol' school,circa1990s Old, Rare,
Auto-Block mode
Forthright · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 110

#11 Hex ie COW BELL.

Super light and cheap way to protect #3->#4 sized cracks.

DR · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2014 · Points: 974

Revolver biner on the rope end of a draw. dmmclimbing.com/products/re…

Use them on first draw, roof/bulge draw, or wandering placements to reduce drag.

fossana · · leeds, ut · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 13,318
psakievich wrote:Ball nuts!
+1
Adam Fleming · · AMGA Certified Rock Guide; SLC · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 441
DRusso wrote:Revolver biner on the rope end of a draw. dmmclimbing.com/products/re… Use them on first draw, roof/bulge draw, or wandering placements to reduce drag.
Also great for 3:1 assisted raises.
Brandon.Phillips · · Portola, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 55

+ 1 hollow block and peenuts

M Sprague · · New England · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 5,090

A hand mattock for rough cleaning the really dirty spots (ledges and wider cracks) on new or old forgotten routes in New England.
and a cheap version of this for cleaning out cracks and prying small loose flakes

The bend makes it much better than a regular old big screwdriver.

Plus a 5 ft pinch point pry bar for the big stuff.
Kyle Linebarger · · Seattle, WA · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 45

I don't always sport climb, but when I do, I like to bring my Kong Frog quickdraw. It's great for stick clipping (with a clamp taped to a pole) or for high clips.

amazon.com/gp/product/B002B…

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "What's a piece of gear not many people own, but…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started