Mountain Project Logo

STOLEN Bag from Portsmouth Grey Hound

Original Post
Adam Moser · · Portland, Maine · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 40

I am trying to help out a friend who recently got seriously ripped off. He was traveling from NYC up to Portland, Maine to come climbing this past weekend. When I picked him up in Portland we realized that his large Granite Gear Duffel Bag was stolen from under the bus at one of the earlier stops, most likely in Portsmouth, NH. He lost about $4000 worth of gear, mostly brand new ice climbing setup, a DJI Phantom drone, and other winter clothes and climbing gear. We have already been in touch with the police as well as Grey Hound Corp. At this point it doesn’t look very promising that any of his gear will be recovered. If you see any of this stuff showing up online or in local pawn shops please drop me a line! My buddy is a professional photographer and gear reviewer, this stuff is his livelihood. Thanks for your help.

Adam

Full list of lost items:

DJI Phantom 2 Drone w/ exra battery and backpack case
Petzl Nomics Ice Axes (new pair, never used!)
Petzl Lynx Crampons (never used)
Scarpa Mont Blanc Sz 10.5
Petzl Aquila Harness (never used)
Petzl Elios Helmet – Blue (never used)
GoalZero Sherpa 100 Battery pack
GoalZero RockOut Solar Bluetooth speaker
Petzl Nao Headlamp
Black Diamond Icon Polar headlamp
ZPacks Ground sheet and poncho (cuben fiber, never used, crazy expensive!)
Outdoor Research Gambit Gloves
Outdoor Research Alti Mits
Panasonic Eneloop batteries with charger
Stanley Thermos
Coast HP7 Flashlight
Coast Polysteel600 flashlight
EMS GoreTex Shell Pants
EMS Icarus Down Jacket w/ Hood
REI Thermal base layers top and bottom

Trad Princess · · Not That Into Climbing · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,175

great pics.

renters insurance scam?

Unfortunately none of the gear is insured. Like I said Milo is a professional photographer, his watermark is present on two of the photos. We are also sending this post to pawn shops so they have a list of what to look for.

Bill Shubert · · Lexington, MA · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 55
Adam Burch wrote:great pics. renters insurance scam?
Why would an insurance scammer post to mountainproject? It'd be better for them to report their "loss" to the insurance company and tell nobody else.
Bill Shubert wrote: Why would an insurance scammer post to mountainproject? It'd be better for them to report their "loss" to the insurance company and tell nobody else.
Why would they file a police report?

Because you have to. In addition, it lends credibility to the story.

Bill Shubert, you are clearly not from the streets...unlike me.
Richard Murray · · Conway · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 95

Dude, that sucks. I recently took a Trailways bus from NYC to Keene Valley, and I saw in the fine print that they were only liable for a couple hundred bucks in baggage loss/damage. I had a considerable duffel-o-gear as well, and I rolled the dice, not inquiring about the additional insurance.

I've also recently had a loss/damage claim with American Airlines and came REALLY close to their pay-out limit.

Next time, I'll probably go for the add'l insurance... That, or check the fine print on my renter's insurance.

Good luck, man.

UPDATE:

First time I've ever heard of anyone actually getting stolen gear back! We kept the pressure on Greyhound and they eventually released the name of the passenger who was suspected of stealing the bag to the Portsmouth police. The police contacted him and he returned the bag with everything in it. Not quite sure what made him think he would get away with it but luckily this one has a happy ending!

Scott McMahon · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,425
AdamOFMaine wrote:UPDATE: First time I've ever heard of anyone actually getting stolen gear back! We kept the pressure on Greyhound and they eventually released the name of the passenger who was suspected of stealing the bag to the Portsmouth police. The police contacted him and he returned the bag with everything in it. Not quite sure what made him think he would get away with it but luckily this one has a happy ending!
Awesome!! But why the hell wouldn't greyhound do that right away? Sheesh.

Glad to hear that! Score one for the good guys.
Jon H · · PC, UT · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 118

Hope the thief was prosecuted.

mark felber · · Wheat Ridge, CO · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 41
Scott McMahon wrote: Awesome!! But why the hell wouldn't greyhound do that right away? Sheesh. Glad to hear that! Score one for the good guys.
Because Greyhound is the dregs of the transportation industry.

Glad the gear got retrieved. Was the thief charged, or is he claiming that he took the wrong bag by mistake?
M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911
Adam Burch wrote:great pics. renters insurance scam?
.5/10, sad score

Adam Burch wrote: Why would they file a police report? Because you have to. In addition, it lends credibility to the story. Bill Shubert, you are clearly not from the streets...unlike me.
1/10, you can do better than this Burchy

I'm impressed that the DirtyDog actually helped out, its as if they knew they had a regular thief who did this regularly?
T Roper wrote: .5/10, sad score 1/10, you can do better than this Burchy
I gotta retract my initial hypothesis on this one, and I'm glad the gear found its way home.

T Roper, you continue to disappoint. Post after post of solid yawnz. Must be something they feed you east coast boulder bros.
Adam Burch wrote: I gotta retract my initial hypothesis on this one, and I'm glad the gear found its way home. T Roper, you continue to disappoint. Post after post of solid yawnz. Must be something they feed you east coast boulder bros.
NOOOOOOOO WAYZ MANZ, EAST COAST RULEZZZ!!!!

way to retract your rude comment though, is that how CA boyzzz do it?
mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0

I'm bummed he got the drone back.

Is no one else impressed that grey hound is still around?

T Roper wrote: NOOOOOOOO WAYZ MANZ, EAST COAST RULEZZZ!!!! way to retract your rude comment though, is that how CA boyzzz do it?
It wasn't rude, it was insightful. However, looks like I was wrong, so I called myself out. Put myself in the Burch Zone, I guess. If you're not familiar with that...likely you will be soon. Your kind always ends up there.

EDIT: correction and this - I wonder if the thief saw the victim posing like a champion with his gear for photos. Not much of a stretch.
Adam Burch wrote: It wasn't rude, it was insightful. However, looks like I was wrong, so I called myself out. Put myself in the Burch Zone, I guess. If you're not familiar with that...likely you will be soon. Your kind always ends up there. EDIT: correction and this - I wonder if the thief saw the victim posing like a champion with his gear for photos. Not much of a stretch.
1/10, more rude than even a NYer.

;)
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Lost and Found
Post a Reply to "STOLEN Bag from Portsmouth Grey Hound"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started