Mountain Project Logo

What to bring on an international climbing trip? -Spain

Original Post
LLubchenco · · Carbondale, CO · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 25

YO!
Getting super psyched for a trip to spain next week that will involve 5 weeks between Catalonia and Mallorca. Dream come true, but, I'm realizing that I don't really know what I need to make it all happen. Anybody who's done some international climbing trips have any info? Anything you didn't bring that you wish you had? Is it necessary to have a whisperlite international so you can cook with a variety of fuels? The climbing gear is the easy part... Thanks for any help!

Alan Rubin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 10

I just got back from El Chorro--a bit south of where you will be--2 weeks ago. We stayed in rented rooms--the way to go in Europe as far as I am concerned, especially given the current costs for luggage. I have camped on prior visits though. Most Europeans use 'canister' stoves, and the fuel canisters are usually quite easy to get in Spain. Additionally at least some airlines won't let you bring fuel bottles on board--unless they are so brand-new that they are still wrapped!!! While it does rain in that part of Spain--and even snow on occasion, especially at areas above 1000m, you still don't need any heavy duty winter or expedition-style tents--a good quality summer one is fine. Bring a variety of clothes as conditions can be quite variable even over a few hours. Even down in El Chorro we'd be going from shirt-sleeves to 'puffys' and back multiple times during a day. Otherwise just bring what you would for back home--Spain is very civilized--except for the bull-fighting!!!

As for climbing gear. Presuming sport--and that is the main draw of the areas that you are visiting--big pitches are very much in fashion these days. I would not go with less than a 70, and more and more routes need an 80--with the equivalent number of QDs. There are good trad routes as well, so bringing a rack will add to your options but surely isn't necessary.

I can very highly recommend the area around the Sierra de Prades (the Rockfax Costa Daurada guidebook or O'Donovan's Tarragona Climbs)--places like Siurana, La Mussara, etc.

Have a great time. I love Spain. Take time to visit Barcelona!!! Alan Rubin

Frank Stein · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 205

Also keep in mind that camping in Mallorca, if you are still planning on going there, is illegal. Cheap apartments that time of year are plentiful however. We also found the Trango travel stick clip, which easily fits into luggage, very useful in most of our travels. However, I am a sissy who values my ankles.

As for stove/fuel, I would recommend picking up a Camping Gaz stove and fuel while there. You will find this fuel everywhere, and both the fuel and stove are pretty cheap. One downside is that you cannot get Gaz cartridges in the U.S.

Carefour and Tesco are European Walmarts, and you will find anything else you may need there.

Finally, a 120/220 converter is useful, but a simple plug adapter should do the trick for phones/tablets as most take either voltage.

Ian Dorko · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 110

bring a light rack even if you're planning on only doing sport climbs.
We ended up making a set of nuts to do a "classic, can't be missed" trad route at one point.

nutz

have fun, spain is awesome!

Ian,
That is awesome! Thanks everybody for the help!

pierref · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 0

My favourite multipiches areas are:
_ West catalunya (terradets, cap del ras, villanova, collegats, ...)
- Calpe area (ponoig !!!)
- Murcia area

You will be better with 2*50 m (as everywhere in Europ), a single BD rack (purple to yellow) and 12 QD's

Phil Lauffen · · Innsbruck, AT · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 3,098

Are you sport climbing or trad climbing? The sport climbing in Spain is beyond excellent, so you can easily fill your time just sport climbing which substantially limits the amount of gear you need.

Bring an 80m rope, Spain makes her rocks tall.

Just stay in apartments/refugios. They are cheap enough and its nice not lugging around a tent. A universal fuel stove is super nice.

Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175
LLubchenco wrote:YO! Getting super psyched for a trip to spain next week that will involve 5 weeks between Catalonia and Mallorca. Dream come true, but, I'm realizing that I don't really know what I need to make it all happen. Anybody who's done some international climbing trips have any info? Anything you didn't bring that you wish you had? Is it necessary to have a whisperlite international so you can cook with a variety of fuels? The climbing gear is the easy part... Thanks for any help!
Climbing friend,

Considerable gunnery.

youtube.com/watch?v=T9IZDIn…
Max Supertramp · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 95

Prophylactics

Max Tepfer · · Bend, OR · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 2,513

FWIW, when I was in Siurana last year, we bought a 70m Mammut Infiniti for about 120 euros. (new) I'd leave the rope at home and pick one up there.

JillianWeller · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 15

Hey I'm in Spain right now! Hit me up if you see this and we can climb

Hey Jillian! Sorry I didn't see this until now...
My partner and I are posted up in terradets for the next week! If you're nearby hit me up! We'll be around the Catalonia region until the 6th and then Mallorca for a week. I may stay longer in the region after that, but a little dependent on my money situation. Have fun, climb hard!!

Howard · · Costa Mesa, CA · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 2,695

Any idea which pro comprises a reasonable trad rack for major Spanish multipitch areas?

Howard · · Costa Mesa, CA · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 2,695
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

International
Post a Reply to "What to bring on an international climbing trip…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started