Mountain Project Logo

C4 6 vs Big Bros

Original Post
Colin Garceau · · Montreal, QC · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 10

I'm wondering getting a big piece to add to my rack.

I don't have a #6 yet but the Big bro of the same range is cheaper.

Is it just a novelty of worth considering?

nathanael · · Riverside, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 525

Can't walk a big bro

Jason Todd · · Cody, WY · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,114
Nathanael wrote:Can't walk a big bro
+6
Shelton Hatfield · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 650

I have a green bro and a #6. I think the green bro goes bigger than the #6 but still covers some of the range of the #6. For single pitch I almost always take the #6 over the bro. I really only bring the bro if I'm already racking my #6s and want more big pieces, or if it is a really long route or approach and I don't want to carry the #6, especially if it only has use in one spot.

I feel a lot safer with the #6 beneath me, but I haven't used the bro a ton or ever fallen on one, so there's that.

And yes, everyone loves a big cam top rope.

Geoff Georges · · Seattle, WA · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 4,649

It is really hard to place a bro correctly, and you will need 2 hands, so like above said, it usually is used with big cams, move cam with you, leave bro where you have a good stance to place it, repeat.
Some cracks just won't accept a bro, can't be too flaring or knobby, they like a nice clean parallel sided crack. But I have to say I have used the green and blue bro allot more then the #6 cam, usually with a #4 and #5 cam leapfrogging, and leaving the bro's along the way.

Todd R · · Vansion, CO / WY · Joined May 2014 · Points: 40

I have both and climb a decent amount of offwidth. I definitely prefer the 6 and only use the big bros when they're necessary. Or as another poster has mentioned to leave behind as back-up pro while I bump that 6 higher and higher and higher and higher. Leading on top rope is pretty sweet :)

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492
geoff georges wrote:It is really hard to place a bro correctly, and you will need 2 hands, so like above said, it usually is used with big cams, move cam with you, leave bro where you have a good stance to place it, repeat.
I've never needed 2 hands to place a Bro. Get out there and practice with it.
Ray Lovestead · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 108

It only takes one climb that requires that you place a big bro with one hand, or else, and congratulations, you just figured out that you can place them one handed no problemo.

(my apologies to the grammar Nazis)

dahigdon · · phoenix, Az · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 220

Correct me if I'm wrong guys:

- doesnt a Big Bro take a force in nearly any direction when placed well?
- would the comperable big bro also cover a wider size range? potentially making it more versatile?
- you can't walk them, but you can use them to fend off pesky bears

Shelton Hatfield · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 650
dave higdon wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong guys: - doesnt a Big Bro take a force in nearly any direction when placed well? - would the comperable big bro also cover a wider size range? potentially making it more versatile? - you can't walk them, but you can use them to fend off pesky bears
-I find them to be pretty easy to dislodge, but maybe I haven't figured out how to place them well.
-Yes, I believe a comparable bro has a greater range than the cam, but I'd say "more versatile" is still really debatable.
-Truth. A large bro is probably the finest weapon on your rack.
Kent Richards · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 81
dave higdon wrote:- doesnt a Big Bro take a force in nearly any direction when placed well?
In my limited experience, I'd say "no". But, maybe mine aren't placed well by your standards.

I've had one pull out when the follower was hanging because a traverse caused a diagonal pull on the Bro.

Big Bros are lighter and take up less rack space than comparably-sized cams.
David Coley · · UK · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 70
Colin Garceau wrote:I'm wondering getting a big piece to add to my rack. I don't have a #6 yet but the Big bro of the same range is cheaper. Is it just a novelty of worth considering?
1. get the cam
2. don't get the BD, get a wild country friend 6. It is more stable.
Ray Lovestead · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 108

David -

I've used an older #6 Wild Country and it is about as stable as the stock market. Did they improve it?

reboot · · . · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 125
Ray Lovestead wrote:David - I've used an older #6 Wild Country and it is about as stable as the stock market. Did they improve it?
For walking up or as a placement? IME the dual axle makes walking up more stable, but as a placement, the thinner/shorter axle and the less lobe to axle contact surface makes it much more wobbly compared to the WC.
David Coley · · UK · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 70
Ray Lovestead wrote:David - I've used an older #6 Wild Country and it is about as stable as the stock market. Did they improve it?
Not sure, the springs are very powerful, so possibly. And the axel is longer than a BD, so it looks more stable, but maybe this is just cosmetic?
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Trad Climbing
Post a Reply to "C4 6 vs Big Bros"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started