Mountain Project Logo

PAS pissing match

Original Post
Sean Kirtley · · Utah · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 275

Let me preface this with stating that I am Newb status...

Its time for me to start cleaning my own single pitchsport routes.

It seems that a lot of people are using these PAS chains of different makes and materials.

My initial thought was that I would just pick one up for $20-30 and be done with it. Then I got thinking that is a lot of money for something I'm only going to use for single pitch cleaning up. Not to mention the bulk.

So then I got to reading on this forum and saw that me posting this question would likely result in a pissing match about using a PAS, the climibng rope, slings, purcell prusik, cord/webbing. I'm still a bit confused.

Remember I'm cleaning a single pitch sport top rope anchor and I want to double Rope Rappel off the chains/rap rings.

1. If you say Use the Rope explain how you mean? I get it for Multi pitch. but for a a rap with both ropes im not grasping it.

2. The Purcell Prusik... you would need two for redundancy?

3. Could i make one out of webbing that would be strong enough and sufficient.

let me know what you think.

If you have pics of your other solutions rather than a PAS i would like that.

Trad Princess · · Not That Into Climbing · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,175

Interesting sideways approach to the

"lower or rappel off a sport climb" argument.

I give it a 6.

Petsfed 00 · · Snohomish, WA · Joined Mar 2002 · Points: 989

Supposing there are draws already at the anchor:

Carry 2 additional quickdraws. Clip both to your belay loop. Clip one of the anchor draws to one of the draws on your belay loop. Clip the other anchor draw to your other belay loop. Clean as normal.

Nick Venechuk · · Golden, CO · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 60

A runner or properly tied loop of cord (often tied at halfway for adjustment) is a cheap and reliable solution. Used that method for years until I started climbing more multipitch and wanted something adjustable and switched to the PAS.

If you think you'll eventually want a PAS then you might as well get one now but otherwise a runner/loop of cord with a locking biner will serve the same purpose of securely attaching you to the anchors while you do the rope dance.

EDIT: yeah back it up with a draw/draws before you untie. Runner/cord/PAS is there for the quick-connect.

BigB · · Red Rock, NV · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 340

between this and the "analyze this anchor" ...I'm thinkin troll

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

First of all, don't ever trust your life to one connection. If you check the anchor failure thread, somebody had a near fatal accident when one of the anchor bolts blew. When you're on belay, you have an entire set of draws below you as backup; when you're on direct at the anchors, that is the ONLY thing keeping you alive. If $20 is too much for something that important, perhaps you should reexamine your life choices. Some people will use a PAS and a QuickDraw, which is fine, but I prefer 2 PASes. You could also just use a long sling with a locking biner (cheaper), but I like PASes because they're adjustable and are usually the perfect length for cleaning anchors. Having 2 of the same means that they'll be equal length and should be equalized.

The pissing match you'll start is in regards to getting down. Rapping is fine and how most people are taught to clean anchors, but it will not work on the kinds of severely overhanging routes found at a lot of sport areas. You might want to consider learning how to clean by lowering through the anchors.

Anyways,

1) yes, this is just for multipitch anchors.

2) 1 Prussik cord for backing up your rappel. 2 is for ascending a rope, which you shouldn't have to ever do (nor would you know how) in a single pitch sport scenario.

3) Yes.

20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,346

The cheapest way to clean the anchor is to just clip into the anchor with two quickdraws and untie. The cheapest and safest way to clean the anchor is to clip into the anchor using a draw, pull a bight of rope through the anchor, tie a figure eight on a bight and clip it to your belay loop w/ a locking biner, then untie and lower off. This is the safest and cheapest option as it does not require the purchase of any gear you dont already have, and you never untie from the rope. The downside is this method wont work if the anchor only has 5/16" chain as you cant usually get two bights of rope though a link that small unless you're using a really thin rope.

Personally, I use several different methods so as to stay fluent in them all, but most commonly I just use a PAS, untie, then rethread the anchor. I mostly use a PAS because I do a lot of route work and having a theater is nice for bolting.

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

There are lots of ways to do this. Read up, think about what suits you, borrow some stuff, if you can, and try it out at ground level. I use Purcell's (yes, can be used for ascending), and I've been practicing using the kitchen cabinet handles. DO PRACTICE!!

And, some noobs can use Purcell's to ascend. Neener, neener, Ted. ;-)

csproul · · Pittsboro...sort of, NC · Joined Dec 2009 · Points: 330
Ted Pinson wrote: 2) 1 Prussik cord for backing up your rappel. 2 is for ascending a rope, which you shouldn't have to ever do (nor would you know how) in a single pitch sport scenario.
You do realize he was asking about a Purcell Prusik, right? Not at all the same thing as a normal Prusik cord.
Trad Princess · · Not That Into Climbing · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,175

I KNOW ABOUT CLIMBING!1!1!1!1!

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252
csproul wrote: You do realize he was asking about a Purcell Prusik, right? Not at all the same thing as a normal Prusik cord.
Oh, good catch. Yeah, in that case - 2.
fromtheestuary · · North Carolina · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 60

If you are just cleaning single pitch sport, get two 24" slings and two lockers. Girth hitch them through both tie in points, then when cleaning attach one to each bolt and clean as necessary.

Bryan Manning wrote:between this and the "analyze this anchor" ...I'm thinkin troll
Not a troll - sorry if my newb questions are suspecious
FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Lightflight wrote: Not a troll - sorry if my newb questions are suspecious
And that is why I wouldn't seek advice on the Internet. Always someone that will mock you or question your intentions. Do you have an experienced mentor?
Ted Pinson wrote: If $20 is too much for something that important, perhaps you should reexamine your life choices.
It's not that I'm not willing to pay it. Just thinking that is the same as 60' of webbing or 40' of cord that could be multipurposed.

Thanks all for the feed back. It's got the wheels turning.
Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175

climbing friend,

do not piss your money on PAS, and if you do, do not run it between your legs as the thong.

If you must, you may simply spend a couple dollars of 1" webbing, and tie some overhand knots in it, virtual same as PAS. For the climbing sport, why not easily use a couple of quickdraws? If you are not rappelling climbs of multiple pitch?

FrankPS wrote: And that is why I wouldn't seek advice on the Internet. Always someone that will mock you or question your intentions. Do you have an experienced mentor?
I don't mind much if people mock me or question my intentions. I also don't put a whole lot of stock in internet as being Fact. I do like to collaborate though to get me thinking and confirm thoughts that I have.

I do have experienced mentors I can call on. they seem to use a PAS chain.

If the anchor was built like the one I mocked up in the picture, couldnt I just clip into the anchor then proceed with cleaning procedure?

Anchor

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

You don't have to have a PAS but I like mine alot (well sterling version of it). I use it to climb in on single and multi pitch. I have used it to build anchors when I ran out of slings on the way up pitches. I use it to hang my hammock when I camp etc.

If you want make your own version but I is nice to have something you can unclip from your harness and clip to a piece of gear or anchor when you are pumped.

bearbreeder · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 3,065

Take a 120 cm nylon sling, tie 2 overhand knots ... Girth hitch it to your harness

Just as "safe" as a PAS, perhaps more so at a fraction of the cost

Thats all there is to it

;)

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0
bearbreeder wrote:Take a 120 cm nylon sling, tie 2 overhand knots ... Girth hitch it to your harness Just as "safe" as a PAS, perhaps more so at a fraction of the cost Thats all there is to it ;)
Technically weaker due to the knots (well maybe the same as a PAS version but weaker than sterling) but you should not plan on taking a factor 2 fall on one.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "PAS pissing match"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started