Mountain Project Logo

old school climbing gear pricing PLEASE HELP

Original Post
Jeremy Almond · · Las Vegas · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 1,666

I have a buddy who has a bunch of gear from about 15 years ago. It's mostly very lightly used. I want to buy it. .. but we have no idea what a fair price is. Needing help. Pictures provided.
16 nuts
8 cams (4 camalots, a solid stem 3 or 4, 2 little aliens, 1 friend)
4 hexes size 6,7,8,9
Assorted slings, draws, biners

Cams

Biners

Slings and daisy chains

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

The runners, daisies and dogbones should be replaced if they are 15+ years old. As well as the slings on the cams. $150-200 for the lot.

Edit: after reading about "solid stems," (only one cam has a solid stem, right?) I'd only offer $125-150 for all.

Josh Kornish · · Whitefish, MT · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 800

Frank is right about the slings, but I think his evaluation is a little low. ~$300 is where I'd be considering everything is lightly used and I would be comfortable offering a friend this.

I used to buy and sell a lot of gear but really it's hard to say without closer inspection. Replace those slings and you'd have a nice little starter rack.

Cheers!

Muscrat · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 3,625

$2 each for any biners
$0 for the soft gear, toss it. DO not be tempted to use it in 'non-fall' situations (yes, i have heard that said)
$50 for the nuts
$30 for the hexes
$200 for the cams. They all need to be reslung.
$60 for the ascenders
$10 for the pulley
I buy and sell bunches of gear, this is halfway between what i would want to pay and what i would want to sell for.
Friend might cut you a deal to taking it all, packages usually come cheaper than individual pieces.
And yes, yer gunna die.

We all do.

Scottmx426 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 0

That top left purple-ish dog bone next to the blue ascender looks like the old REI brand sling. Mid 90s for sure. The hard good look in great condition. What year did the .5 and .75 go to single stem? Late 90s?

bearbreeder · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 3,065

~200-300 for everything

You can use 7mm cord on the friends/camalots and webbing on the aliens rather than reslinging if ur cheap

Replace the dogbones with new slings to turn em into alpine draws

But dont throw away the old slings either .... Mark them with tape as not for climbing use and use em to practice knots and testing

;)

Andrew Yasso · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 215
Jer Alz wrote:I have a buddy
Is this the guy who dropped you in the recent weekend whipper? I hope he's getting out of climbing...
Spiny Norman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0

For re-slinging I've had good luck with Mountain Tools in CA. BD and Metolius also have re-slinging services but only for their self-branded gear. So I'd go with MT.

Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203
Muscrat wrote:$2 each for any biners $0 for the soft gear, toss it. DO not be tempted to use it in 'non-fall' situations (yes, i have heard that said) $50 for the nuts $30 for the hexes $200 for the cams. They all need to be reslung. $60 for the ascenders $10 for the pulley I buy and sell bunches of gear, this is halfway between what i would want to pay and what i would want to sell for. Friend might cut you a deal to taking it all, packages usually come cheaper than individual pieces. And yes, yer gunna die. We all do.
Best and most accurate advice.

Oh, none of that gear is old school. Hell it ain't even that old.

Haha not the guy who dropped me.

It is a rei draw... I think it probably is all from 90s. My buddy climbed professionally back then and this is his gear. He stopped climbing when he joined the army

Anyone interested in purchasing any of it?
Except the 4 camalots, nut, and hexes.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Jer Alz wrote:Anyone interested in purchasing any of it? Except the 4 camalots, nut, and hexes.
I thought you wanted to buy it? Now you're trying to sell it?

Thanks for the info too

lucander · · Stone Ridge, NY · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 260

Wait...you got a prodeal and don't own a rack? Or know market value?
What happens in Fight Club.....

Just saying.

nathanael · · Riverside, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 525

I want the ascenders

Muscrat · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 3,625

The smell of a troll.

My buddy decided to keep the gear. He would want $500 plus for all of it and did not want to piece it out. So it's not for sale

Patrick Corry · · PA · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 75

So, 15 years ago is 'old school'? Jeez, if that's true some of my gear should be sent to the Smithsonian.....

grog m · · Saltlakecity · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

500 for all of it??? Get real bro that's outrageous. You should still try to convince him...doesn't sound like he will ever use it.

It's ok I will get all new stuff

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "old school climbing gear pricing PLEASE HELP"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.