Mountain Project Logo

Miura to TC Pro sizing

Original Post
Bob Johnson · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined May 2014 · Points: 192

I climb in Miura size 44.5 and am currently looking into getting TC Pros for an all-day/crack shoe. Stores never have my size, so I'm looking to order 2-3 pairs and then keep the ones that fit best. Your toes are supposed to be a little flatter in the TC Pros compared to the Miura, right? Does anyone use both shoes? What size do you wear in each shoe?

grubbers · · West Shore · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 0

I wear a 42 in both the Miura and TC Pro, 10.5 street.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

"A little" in the sense that multi-pitch climbing is "a little" higher than bouldering, lol. Miuras (VCS?) are super down-turned, aggressive shoes, whereas TC Pros are flat. If you're looking for an all-day fit and planning to do crack climbing, you need to size much higher than you would for the Miuras. For crack climbing in particular, you want your toes flat...no curl. Think street size or maybe 1/2 size down. Realize that you might not be able to edge as well, but with the P3, it should still be pretty good.

Bob Johnson · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined May 2014 · Points: 192
Ted Pinson wrote:"A little" in the sense that multi-pitch climbing is "a little" higher than bouldering, lol. Miuras (VCS?) are super down-turned, aggressive shoes, whereas TC Pros are flat.
They are the Miura lace-ups. I use them for everything from bouldering to multipitch climbing currently. They aren't quite an "all-day" shoe, but they aren't too bad. I guess my toes appreciate a break after 2-3 hours. The way I have them fit is pretty snug though, so my toes are curled...not good for crack climbing. Maybe I'll order a 44.5 and 45 and see how those are.

Thanks!
Muscrat · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 3,625

11.5 street. 11.5 TC pro, all day comfy. 10.5 Miura. One pitch wonder.
I have friends who size the TC down 2 full sizes, but they take them off at every belay. Go street. Also when you re-sole they are tighter.

jdejace · · New England · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 5

I have worn:

43.5 Miura VS for sport/boulder. These have to come off between pitches but climb really well.

44 Miura lace, I can keep these on several pitches but they're still quite snug and will start to hurt eventually.

44.5 TC Pro. All day.

Bob Johnson wrote: They are the Miura lace-ups. I use them for everything from bouldering to multipitch climbing currently. They aren't quite an "all-day" shoe, but they aren't too bad. I guess my toes appreciate a break after 2-3 hours. The way I have them fit is pretty snug though, so my toes are curled...not good for crack climbing. Maybe I'll order a 44.5 and 45 and see how those are. Thanks!
Oh, sorry...these days, when people say "Miuras," I assume they're talking about the velcros, which are a very different shoe. I would guess the 45s should be good for crack climbing, although your toes might be flat in a 44.5 just by the nature of the last.
Luc-514 · · Montreal, QC · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 12,536

Street 8.5, Miura lace and VS 39, TC Pro 39.5.
But I should have traded the comfort of that half size for increased precision and less foot roll when playing on micro edges.
Next pair to match my Miuras.

MorganH · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 197
Ted Pinson wrote:"A little" in the sense that multi-pitch climbing is "a little" higher than bouldering, lol. Miuras (VCS?) are super down-turned, aggressive shoes, whereas TC Pros are flat. If you're looking for an all-day fit and planning to do crack climbing, you need to size much higher than you would for the Miuras. For crack climbing in particular, you want your toes flat...no curl. Think street size or maybe 1/2 size down. Realize that you might not be able to edge as well, but with the P3, it should still be pretty good.
I don't agree, I wear the exact same size in the TC pros, the solutions, and the Muiras.

For multipitches and crack climbing?

dano72 · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 5

street 10
42 in both miura vs and TCs.
TCs took a while to break in, but theyre multipitch comfy now.

Mark O'Neal · · Nicholson, GA · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 3,323

The variations here are fascinating. Since I have both I'll share

Street - 10
Miura Lace Up - 42 - OK for bouldering. Hurt like hell on a full pitch
TC Pro - 42 - All day comfort but start to hurt a little towards the end
Mythos - 42 - I could sleep in these things

Something else to note is the length of your 2nd toe. Mine is longer than my big toe and changes the comfort level of different styles of shoes.

MorganH · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 197
Ted Pinson wrote:For multipitches and crack climbing?
Yep. 42.5 for all of them.

My big toe is flat in the tc pros, a little curled in the muiras, and significantly down-turned in the solutions.
DWF 3 · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 186

38.5 miura lace for a performance fit that has stretched over a few resoles to performance comfort. I feel no space in the show when climbing and can wear them for hours without pain but it feels nice to take them off.

The TCs are funny. Had a 40, dropped to 39.5 and they were comfortable and precise until they stretched then felt loose and sloppy. Dropped to 39 and the were tight but climbed great. The Achilles area would burn after a pitch or two and would be terribly painful. I cut the slingshot rand in the back and the shoes are now super precise and comfortable for crack climbing and all day wear.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Miura to TC Pro sizing"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started