Mountain Project Logo

Anyone in CO have a rack of unused old style camalots stolen recently?

Original Post
Shelton Hatfield · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 650

I'll start off by saying I'm not convinced this gear is stolen. It's perhaps just as likely that someone ended up with this gear through legitimate means and is trying to make a buck off of some sucker. That said, their story is a bit fishy, and from talking to them I've gathered that they clearly know little to nothing about the gear in question, especially it's value. But that isn't a crime. I figured I'd throw this out there just in case.

While we're at it, we can play a fun game of "What do you think it's worth!"

Why do I find it suspicious? The original title said something about C4s and X4s. These clearly are not. The gear was originally posted for more than $1100 and the posting claimed the gear was worth more than $2000. You don't need me to tell you that 2 Gs for this pile is more than a little off base. When I asked them where the C4s and X4s were and if I was seeing the whole lot in this picture, they said that they hadn't pulled their gear out in a while, as if that were an explanation for having no idea WTF they own. They have since edited the post and lowered the price, but it's still at a whopping $850 dollars.

¡WARNING! If you are bothered by rhetorical devices, specifically hypophora, stop reading NOW as the rest of this post will undoubtedly piss you off.

Is trying to gouge people on CL a crime? No. Is it even uncommon? No.

But when my shit detector is going off like this, I'm usually being fed some shit.

Do I think this person is a thief? Meh. Do I think there is a chance? Yes. Do I think they are an idiot? I don't think you need me to answer that one.

Anyhow, I'm curious to see what people think of this or if any Front Range folks have had their gear lifted recently, although judging by the kit it could've been anytime in the last 15 years. If nothing else maybe you can get a laugh from this.

fluff head · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 65

I'll give you $750 for it

TSluiter · · Holland, VT · Joined May 2013 · Points: 314

I think your spidey senses are spot on with this one.

Do you have a link so I may troll for fishes?

"INCREDIBLY VALUE" lol

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

"Hypophora" is a new word for me. Had to look it up. Thank you, Shelton, for increasing my word power.

Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203

Old style cams on flea bay go for $25-$35. Add the other misc gear into the mix $400 tops.

Shelton Hatfield · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 650

THIS JUST IN

I looked at the post again and they have now lowered the price to $500 (likely in some way related to me letting them know how strongly I disagree with their concept of the gear's worth), as well as added the line:

"I'm a Colorado native and I love the climbing community"

You can't make this shit up, people.

If this person is truly just a well intentioned fool, I might be the biggest asshole ever. And because they may in fact be innocent of any wrong doing, I will refrain from putting up the link to their posting. Although a proper sleuth shouldn't have too much trouble finding it with the info in this thread...

And Frank, not gonna lie, it was new to me too. That's one of the great things about about the internet. Plenty of time to make a "well crafted" statement.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Anyone in CO have a rack of unused old style ca…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started