Mountain Project Logo

Harvard Cabin, Mount Washington

Original Post
Sean Hoffecker · · Sandy, UT · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 10

A group of us is heading up this weekend (MLK Weekend) and I'm worried that the cabin will be full. Does anyone have experience with this? Would they turn us away if they reach full occupancy? I've been looking around and can't find anything as far as reserving spots. Any beta would be greatly appreciated!

divnamite · · New York, NY · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 90

You'll know how many are heading up by checking in at Pinkham Notch visitor center.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Sean Hoffecker wrote:A group of us is heading up this weekend (MLK Weekend) and I'm worried that the cabin will be full. Does anyone have experience with this? Would they turn us away if they reach full occupancy? I've been looking around and can't find anything as far as reserving spots. Any beta would be greatly appreciated!
Yes. You can camp nearby if the cabin is full, but you cannot use cabin facilities if you are camping.

harvardmountaineering.org/c…

Don't get it confused with the Harvard Outing Club cabin, a different building just off of Rt 16.
Mike Hasse · · New York, NY · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 365

Also as a head's up, the cabin often fills up by Friday night of a long weekend with good weather (sometimes even the available camp sites). Its worth being prepared to sleep in one of the lean tos over at Hermit Lake, which adds max of 30 minutes to your Huntington Ravine approach (15 if you're on skis).

Sean Hoffecker · · Sandy, UT · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 10

Thanks for the info guys. Any chance any one spends enough time up there to venture a guess if it will fill up by the time we get in Friday evening?

Jacob.B · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 0

You could call Pinkham's Notch and ask how many spots are still open before leaving but it would be hard to say if they'd still be open when you got there.

Mike Hasse · · New York, NY · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 365

I have a feeling it will be pretty popular this weekend. It's a long weekend for many and the ice is likely to be pretty good. If there are more than a couple of people in your group, I'd be prepared to stay in a tent or at Hermit Lake and check it out when you get in. If you only have a couple people in your party you'll probably be fine.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Mountaineering
Post a Reply to "Harvard Cabin, Mount Washington"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started