Mountain Project Logo

UTAH - 2015/16 Ice Season

Daniel Kryger · · wanship, UT · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 10

Any one free Monday morning for ice?

Wally29 Wall · · Salt Lake City, Utah · Joined Sep 2006 · Points: 40

I've got all day off tomorrow, Monday, if anyone is interested in getting out. Would be psyched to go check out maple.

cdawg lion · · BeaUTAHfull · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 165

The ice in Maple Canyon is coming in well! The main road and left fork have many climbs in. Chicken limbo, Running man,Bowling Ball head wall, Deep Throat Maple, Get Whacked and many more. Get stoked for ice!

Get Whacked WI5+

Alec L · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 632

We beat out a trail to FMR Saturday -- get up there, it's fat and sassy!

Mark leading FMR

chadnuesmeyer Nuesmeyer · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 150
Alec wrote:We beat out a trail to FMR Saturday -- get up there, it's fat and sassy!
I have heard reference to this in the past and admit, I don't anything about it. What and Where is FMR?
Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 21,746
chadnuesmeyer wrote: I have heard reference to this in the past and admit, I don't anything about it. What and Where is FMR?
Big flow up high you can see as you drive up canyon from the Fang in Provo Canyon.

Looks like a grind to get there, but, was lookin' large and in charge this weekend.
Kevin Hansen · · Melba Idaho · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 130
chadnuesmeyer wrote: What and Where is FMR?
I too didn't know. I looked it up in the new Beehive Ice Guide on page 188.
I just might make the trip down to Utah this coming weekend just for this route.
Twin Falls is BAD. The ice is white, sublimated, and dehydrated. The worst part is fresh new ice i growing over the top of the old junk, so your tool and screw placements are good but only for the first 2 inches. Behind that its air.
Jim Clarke · · Summit Park, UT · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 1,656

In St. G. for work this week. Looking for a partner to do Hidden Haven (or other Southern UT classic) this Friday 1/15...20 yrs. ice experience have all the gear...let's get after it!

Blackmore · · Cedar City, UT · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 51

I am psych to get out climbing, will meet at Maple. I have the week of the 24- 29 of January off. Could climb for one day or more. It has been a long busy x- mass season long hours at work.

Blackmore · · Cedar City, UT · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 51
Shameless Shaemus wrote:In St. G. for work this week. Looking for a partner to do Hidden Haven (or other Southern UT classic) this Friday 1/15...20 yrs. ice experience have all the gear...let's get after it!
I live in Cedar I can meet you Friday. I have been climbing for 30 years, into Ice for 16 and I have doubles or a single rope, and some screws.
Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 5

Anyone get out in Provo today that can report on conditions. I'm planning on hitting Bridal Veil or Stairway tomorrow morning. I'm guessing the lower pitches on everything are in good, but wanted to see if anyone got eyes on anything.

Matt Primomo · · Leavenworth, WA · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 80

Hey fellow climbers,
UDOT is planning to do avalanche control work on US-189 in Provo Canyon tomorrow morning, 1/13. We will be shooting at a few targets on the Bridal Veil side of the canyon. In order to do this, all ice climbing between Vivian Park and Canyon Glen will be closed from 12:15am to 10:00am on both sides of the canyon.
Sorry for the inconvenience. Please help to spread the word.
You can get the latest info via UDOTAvy on Twitter.
See our page here for more info:

udot.utah.gov/main/f?p=100:…

Thanks

Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 5

Thanks for the heads up Matt^. Guess I won't be climbing in Provo Canyon tomorrow afterall. How is GWI these days?

Bonneville Williams · · Salt Lake City, Utah · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 145
Ryan Hamilton wrote:Thanks for the heads up Matt^. Guess I won't be climbing in Provo Canyon tomorrow afterall. How is GWI these days?
Was up there last Saturday. It was climbable but was starting to deteriorate quite a bit compared to the week before. There were a couple of spots at the start of P3 that were punched through to the water/rock below and a couple of spots in the snowfield between P1 and P2 that were giving way under body weight. Hopefully with the cold this week conditions will improve.
Jordan Gilbert · · Ogden, UT · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 861
Angles Tiers 1/8/16

Skinned up Providence Canyon to check out the ice up there. The crux was postholeing through waist deep snow up to the route.

Last Chance Falls 1/13/16

Last Chance was good and fat, but a little brittle.

Great Amphitheater Gully 1/3/16

The Great Amphitheater Gully came fully in after the new years cold snap. Was hoping to get on it but the warm up after that started breaking it up quick. Hopefully we get some more snow and another cold snap to form it up again...
perropirana Santibanez · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 25

Anyone up for climbing tomorrow anything but GWI.

luke smith · · Salt Lake City, Utah · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 121

I was gonna head up LCC tomorrow morning- any chance you want to climb around Scruffy Band for a bit Perropirana? Pm me if you want to or have any other ideas.

Michael Beasley · · Boise, ID · Joined May 2015 · Points: 90

hey guys just wondering if anyone is willing to take me out, I live in boise and it looks like our season may be ending soon, so I'm thinking about taking a drive down to slc. Don't know the area all that well, only been to lcc once and American Fork twice. Would love to get out with someone who knows where everything is. Have gas money and beer. Thanks in advance!

Matt Wolski · · Salt Lake City · Joined May 2002 · Points: 355

Luke, I climbed the Scruffy Band with my friend Chris this afternoon. It's good to go. Have fun. I added a little piece of spectra to the lower rappel anchor because the existing tat is pretty sun damaged. I didn't have a knife to make it pretty. There's a blue webbing anchor around a scrub oak before the final steep stretch that could use some love, too.

If either of you are feeling bold, Scruffy Right might even go.

Billyjack Cundiff · · Salt Lake City · Joined May 2014 · Points: 55

Any info on how Willard is right now?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern Utah & Idaho
Post a Reply to "UTAH - 2015/16 Ice Season "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started