Mountain Project Logo

climbing pack

Original Post
McHull · · Catoctin Mt · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 260

Anybody have experience with this pack? I'm looking for a pack that your second would wear. big enough to carry lunch, water(six pack) etc.
thx
Matt

Patagonia Linked Pack 16L

pack

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492

If the pack also needs to carry gear or clothing to/from the crag, I would think 16 liters is on the too small side. Just my $0.02.

Matthew Williams 1 · · Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 85

If you like Patagonia gear, the Ascensionist 25 is a nice compact climbing pack which would provide a little more room and is super versatile. I like the 35L a whole lot...

I have some larger packs to hike in gear, ropes & clothes.
This would be just to take along on 3 or 4 pitch multi. think Seneca Rocks

Nick Drake · · Kent, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 651

A friend has the link and likes it, they like attaching the rope to the pack.

Personally I just have an REI flash 18 if I need to bring a pack (which is rare). That thing is a whopping $25 so I don't mind trashing it. For the descent just have the partner wearing the pack put the rack on their harness, other partner does a backpack carry of the rope.

rgold · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 526

I like the Petz Bug petzl.com/en/Sport/Packs-an… . At 18L it works well as a single pack for the party carried by the second. It has a number of nifty climbing-specific features. But there are now quite a few packs in this category, with probably not all that much real difference.

Nathan Self · · Louisiana · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 90

Check out the Mochilla Pack at TufaClimbing. I have one, and it's a great smaller bag.

tufaclimbing.com/store/

Marmot Compressor is a nice smaller bag, too...

I believe Fish Products makes a smaller bag that's good as well.

fishproducts.com/catalog/ha…

Thanks taking the time Fellas!

Chris Reyes · · Seattle, WA · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 40
Nathan Self wrote:Check out the Mochilla Pack at TufaClimbing. I have one, and it's a great smaller bag. tufaclimbing.com/store/ Marmot Compressor is a nice smaller bag, too... I believe Fish Products makes a smaller bag that's good as well. fishproducts.com/catalog/ha…
Any idea if there's an in depth review/video/look at the Mochilla pack?

I was looking at the same pack as the OP (I've got a pata gift card) and so was hoping for some reviews. The Mochilla is enticing though, but the site definitely doesn't seem to cover any of its features. I'd love to get my hands on a video.

Figure a 16L for multi, 30L for alpine/cragging and bigger things for...bigger things should be an adequate quiver of bags.
Josh Kornish · · Whitefish, MT · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 800

Hey fellas,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm the designer of the mochilla and I really need to update my website with new photos. My products are really a constant evolution and I've been fine tuning every detail.

I'll make one this weekend when I have time and post some better photos and do an in depth product video.

Furthermore I love doing custom colors (1000d cordura, no extra cost) and I'm happy to make small mods.

Thank you again for the interest.

Cheers!

Chris Simrell · · Leavenworth, WA · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 115

I've used the Mochilla and the Linked 16.

I think they are both fantastic small climbing packs. Both allow you to attach a rope easily to the top which I appreciate. The biggest difference is the Tufa pack has a side zip, and the Pata has a outside front zip pocket. When it comes to multipitch climbing I really like having the outside front zip like the pata. The Tufa side zip is nice for day hikes and such. Other than that very similar.

Lots of color choices on the Tufa which is fun, and the satisfaction of buying from a small climber owned pack maker. Ordering, communication, and delivery with Tufa was great.

For what it's worth, my wife said she thought the Pata fit her better. She is 5'2.

.02cents

TheGiles wrote:I've used the Mochilla and the Linked 16. I think they are both fantastic small climbing packs. Both allow you to attach a rope easily to the top which I appreciate. The biggest difference is the Tufa pack has a side zip, and the Pata has a outside front zip pocket. When it comes to multipitch climbing I really like having the outside front zip like the pata. The Tufa side zip is nice for day hikes and such. Other than that very similar. Lots of color choices on the Tufa which is fun, and the satisfaction of buying from a small climber owned pack maker. Ordering, communication, and delivery with Tufa was great. For what it's worth, my wife said she thought the Pata fit her better. She is 5'2. .02cents
Thank you for the comparison, Giles. Real, honest user feedback is invaluable to me and I really appreciate it.

I'm going to be making a shorter model in consideration of the ladies for sure. I'm not sure when you ordered but I also dialed in the straps a bit more and am really happy with how they perform across varying terrain (Approach / Climb).

I know some people don't like the idea of a side zip, maybe they don't trust zippers, but I also find it especially handy on the approach (hiking). I'm looking to design a new configuration with an external zip above the straps, behind the neck.

I'm very open to any and all suggestions.

Cheers!
bearbreeder · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 3,065

For multi where the weather can change i use the mec alpinelite 18

mec.ca/product/5028-694/mec…

Partner with alpinelite 18

For long summer multi where the weather is stable and with minimal approach i use an old mec blitzcrag 13L

Partner with blitzcrag

If you only had one choice for a day pack to do it all get ~18-22L ... With a rope carry system and preferably an ice axe loop (for day alpine)

It should weigh no more than ~500-600g max .... And at minimum 200+ D nylon, preferably thicker for more rock use

Theres many such packs around and you really need to try em on for FIT fully loaded

For example i really wanted to like the BD speed 22, but the moment i put the rope and some weight on it ... My shoulder started hurting like hell

So go find the best FIT

;)

Chris Simrell · · Leavenworth, WA · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 115
Josh Kornish wrote: Thank you for the comparison, Giles. Real, honest user feedback is invaluable to me and I really appreciate it. I'm going to be making a shorter model in consideration of the ladies for sure. I'm not sure when you ordered but I also dialed in the straps a bit more and am really happy with how they perform across varying terrain (Approach / Climb). I know some people don't like the idea of a side zip, maybe they don't trust zippers, but I also find it especially handy on the approach (hiking). I'm looking to design a new configuration with an external zip above the straps, behind the neck. I'm very open to any and all suggestions. Cheers!
Shorter model for the small people would be really nice. For the record I find the side zipper on your pack trustworthy. Interested about your new idea regarding the pocket - it's cool you're motivated to improve / innovate. What I like about the Linked 16 pocket is this: at a belay change-over I can really easily un zip and grab a quick bite, get some tape, etc etc with out having to open the whole bag a look around inside. granted these packs have inside pockets, but those can be obstructed by jackets and to get there you gotta undo the top clip and the cord blah blah. I just love the ease. The side zip on your pack gives similar ease but it leads to the whole pack so little items are harder to grab, and stuff might fall out. I know i could put little stuff like snacks in my pockets but i have a bit of a pet peeve regarding things in my pockets. Which brings me to another good review of one of your products - the Salathe sack, which I wasn't sure i'd like, but on small multipitch routes I loved it. Just the right size. Also good for longer routes where the follower has the pack but you need some stuff at hand as the leader for whatever reason. Also good for fast dayhikes/trailruns. Good stuff.

Take care.
John Butler · · Tonopah, NV · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 115
Chris Reyes wrote: Any idea if there's an in depth review/video/look at the Mochilla pack?
photos of what fits inside here:

mountainproject.com/v/leade…
DR · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2014 · Points: 974

I use the Linked as my multipitch pack and so far its been great. I like the hydration sleeve and the chest strap keeps in secure so even when you are making big move its not sliding off your shoulder.

Josh Kornish wrote: I know some people don't like the idea of a side zip, maybe they don't trust zippers, but I also find it especially handy on the approach (hiking). I'm looking to design a new configuration with an external zip above the straps, behind the neck. I'm very open to any and all suggestions. Cheers!
A vertical zip on a climbing pack is not good when the pack is used for climbing because of the very real potential for dumping stuff when the pack is hanging from the belay anchor and the zipper is opened.

A possible solution would be to put a haul loop in the back seam at the side, half-way along the zipper. Hanging the pack from that would make the zipper a horizontal zipper at the top and then there is much less chance of things falling out, and you'd still have the convenience of the vertical zipper when hiking.

I still think it useful to have an internal pocket with zipper access from the outside for all the small items that are most likely to fall out (with either a side zipper or top opening).

A drinking tube port that is constructed so that the tube can be pushed into the pack from the outside would be handy. Once you're on the climb, the only time you're likely to drink is when belaying. So then you pull the tube out, but otherwise it is pushed in right up to the valve and out of the way while climbing.

The Petzl Bug has an interesting feature: there is a pocket the size of the entire pack formed by a back panel that isn't sewn across the top. Petzl advertises this as a place for a guidebook, but really, does anyone actually carry a guidebook up climbs any more? The pocket is, however, extremely handy for street use when traveling: maps and brochures (and passports) stow flat, don't crumple and are easily available without opening the pack. This back pocket cannot be stuffed with things without making the back cylindrical, but it is a great place to stow something thin like a windshirt or light rain parka and have them instantly accessible.
Spiny Norman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0

Mountain Tools Jet Pack or Jet Ultra. Best small-medium climbing packs on the market.

At nearly 24L, those Mountain Tools packs are in a different category. More relevant would be their 15L Stealth Pack.

tomW · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2011 · Points: 10

FYI I'm pretty sure there is a new BUG coming out this year. If it comes out this year, I bet it'll be in sometime in the spring.

rgold wrote: A vertical zip on a climbing pack is not good when the pack is used for climbing because of the very real potential for dumping stuff when the pack is hanging from the belay anchor and the zipper is opened. A possible solution would be to put a haul loop in the back seam at the side, half-way along the zipper. Hanging the pack from that would make the zipper a horizontal zipper at the top and then there is much less chance of things falling out, and you'd still have the convenience of the vertical zipper when hiking. I still think it useful to have an internal pocket with zipper access from the outside for all the small items that are most likely to fall out (with either a side zipper or top opening). A drinking tube port that is constructed so that the tube can be pushed into the pack from the outside would be handy. Once you're on the climb, the only time you're likely to drink is when belaying. So then you pull the tube out, but otherwise it is pushed in right up to the valve and out of the way while climbing. The Petzl Bug has an interesting feature: there is a pocket the size of the entire pack formed by a back panel that isn't sewn across the top. Petzl advertises this as a place for a guidebook, but really, does anyone actually carry a guidebook up climbs any more? The pocket is, however, extremely handy for street use when traveling: maps and brochures (and passports) stow flat, don't crumple and are easily available without opening the pack. This back pocket cannot be stuffed with things without making the back cylindrical, but it is a great place to stow something thin like a windshirt or light rain parka and have them instantly accessible.
Thanks, Rgold. I totally understand the worst case scenario and really I'm not sure if I would buy a leader pack with a side zip from anyone else. If anything it is an eventual weak-point, no doubt.

Really clever idea with the side haul loop. I'm gonna ditch the side zip with this pack and I thought up a clever way to make a really nice pocket right behind the neck. I use to have a bug and never used the guidebook pocket but I really do like the idea, especially in an urban pack. Could be handy for hauling as well.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "climbing pack"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started