Mountain Project Logo

Suggested Spots for a Rainy Week?

Original Post
Adam Ploof · · Burlington, VT · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 11

Hi all,

A friend of mine and I just arrived in Phoenix with plans to spend the week exploring and climbing, but the forecast for most of the Southwestern United States is looking like rain all week. Does anyone have any suggestions for places to climb that has either an OK forecast or sheltered climbing? We're open to some driving so it doesn't necessarily have to be near Phoenix.

Thanks,

Adam

Paul Zander · · Bern, CH · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 739

Priest Draw is a possibility - you can climb under roofs no matter how nasty the weather. Not sure on road conditions, you may have to hike in a bit depending on snow/your rig.

Dominic Weinstock · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 230

Yeah the draw is a good call......and shouldnt be too rainey.....mostly snowey :) what grade you lookin for? I could recommend a roof.

Manny Rangel · · PAYSON · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 4,789

Next three days may be bad but you will have better weather afterwards. If you don't want to squat under a rock in Flagstaff, head to the areas near Phoenix. The McDowells, Pinnacle Peak are just north of Scottsdale and will provide good rock and climbing.

Other areas near Phx may be fine then too. What are you looking for? What kind of climbing/grades?

Adam Ploof · · Burlington, VT · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 11

Thanks for the replies. We ended up camping at Molino Basin near Mt. Lemmon. The weather turned out OK enough to climb during the beginning of the week. There's so much to explore up there. I'm looking forward to getting back to that area sometime soon.

-AP

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Arizona & New Mexico
Post a Reply to "Suggested Spots for a Rainy Week?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started