Mountain Project Logo

UTAH - 2015/16 Ice Season

Travisstull Stull · · Placerville, CA · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 215

Lots of stuff coming in well at Maple pics 12/30 and 1/2

luke smith · · Salt Lake City, Utah · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 121

Thanks Allen, just wanted to make sure I wasn't parking anywhere illegal haha. Maples is looking good, I may have some updates from the Southern Wasatch tomorrow. It seems that the ice is coming in well in all of Utah, I've been hearing optimistic stuff about the desert too...and Matt, I was down in Provo Friday, didn't see a book anywhere, sorry. It might have blown away, it was windy. But most everything is looking pretty solid frozen down there, the North side stuff looks like it's coming back in fat.

Matt Selman · · Salt Lake City · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 200
  • SPOILER ALERT: Incredibly clichéd post follows*
Did anyone happen to find a yellow (13cm) Petzl Laser Speed screw on Scruffy Band on or after the evening of Saturday, January 2nd? Brews for anyone saintly enough to return it but not too saintly to pound some brews. Thanks all!
hightide · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 35

I was belaying at the top of the first pitch on the GWI on Jan. 1st around noon when a group above lost a screw and quick draw that skidded all the way down to me. If this is your gear, send me a message describing the screw and draw so I can return it to you.

Bshirley · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 0

went to indian canyon yesterday. not much ice in there right now. dead deer falls is the only thing in.

perropirana Santibanez · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 25

Frozen Assets is in!
Have fun.

luke smith · · Salt Lake City, Utah · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 121

Scoped out Assets w/ binoculars from the road, it is in but it looks like you beat me to it. Santaquin stuff is looking good, Backoff and Squash Head are both fat, Candlestick looked good, ATC needs maybe five feet to connect and Angel still has a ways to go (of course). Get Back On It has about 15-20 ft to be fully ice.

Blackmore · · Cedar City, UT · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 51

How hard is it to set up top ropes at maple? Do you have to lead or can you walk around.

Matt · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 106

Matt Selman.. i saw a petzl 13cm at the base of the climb when we packed out. I yelled up to the party still on route and asked if they dropped a screw. If this was you guys, we left the screw where it was at the base of the route.

Matt Selman · · Salt Lake City · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 200

Matt Berry, thanks for the shout that day! Unfortunately, my partner is new to ice and that was not the only 13 cm to escape his grasp...

Blackmore, Maple is a mixed bag for topropes. Nothing in Box Canyon can be walked around (unless you want a really *long* walk; same goes for the main road routes. On the other hand, a good chunk of routes in the Left Fork have relatively easy access (Engagement Alcove primarily).

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 21,746
Blackmore wrote:How hard is it to set up top ropes at maple? Do you have to lead or can you walk around.
Pretty hard.

What might work is asking a party to put a rope up for ya.

Its a bit of a hike to get to the canyon rim on any side and then try to figure out where the routes are. Not to mention a slip might not be great.
perropirana Santibanez · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 25

I am off tomorrow anyone interested in getting out?
505-206-6207.
L.

Kevin Chuba · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 135

Damn this community is psyched!!

Sunny-D · · SLC, Utah · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 700

I'm trying to get out on Wednesday but am in need of a partner. I have the experience and gear and am willing to lead everything or swap leads. Who wants to go?

Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 5

Climbed Pure Fun in Battle Creek canyon this morning. Good thick plastic ice. Lots of water coming down though, we need some cold for this thing to stick around. Battle Creek falls is not in at all, it was gushing this morning.

Ty Falk · · Huntington, VT · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 280

Any one have a Provo or LCC update. Seams like it has been around 40 deg with light freezes the last few days. Hopefully things are not falling apart.

Tyson Taylor · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 70

The apron is fat in Provo, with good stuff up to 5th pitch of stairway, as of Sunday 1/5.

Ty Falk · · Huntington, VT · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 280

^Thanks. Seams like yesterday was really warm anyone out yesterday or this am?

morgoth70 · · Bountiful, UT · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 25

I was out at Joe's yesterday and it WAS a bit on the warm side: some running water and slushy ice in a few spots but still pretty solid over all. Upper pitch of CCC was in great shape and Deadbolt was pretty fat, although the stream crossing was slightly dicey.

TimThompson Thompson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2014 · Points: 5

This morning I went up to Battle Creek Falls area, pretty much every climb was in terrible condition. We ended up not climbing at all because it was too dangerous.

I haven't been back down to check out anything in Provo yet, everything I was on this weekend was really good but its been pretty warm.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern Utah & Idaho
Post a Reply to "UTAH - 2015/16 Ice Season "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started