Mountain Project Logo

Front range snow climbs

Original Post
Jeremy Espinoza · · Denver, CO · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 80

I'm looking to climb something this Monday. Doesn't have to be a peak, a fun ridge is a plus. With the amount of snow we just got, I'm looking for something with relatively low avi danger.

Grizzly Peak and North Star Mountain are possibilities, what else is good? How would James be after this snow? For reference, ive only done a couple winter climbs, but do ice climb. Something easy/moderate but still interesting would be ideal.

Thanks for the advice!

Eric Klammer · · Eagle, CO · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 2,070

The East Ridge of Bancroft is a pretty fun day out. Mostly mellow scrambling with one rappel into a notch and a short pitch out.

It's been awhile since I've been up there but with some caution on the approach and descent I think it'd be pretty safe.

fossana · · leeds, ut · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 13,318

The E Ridge is super fun with snow (even if you have to hoof it up the road), but the current avi forecast looks a bit grim: avalanche.state.co.us/ Hopefully things will settle down for you by Monday.

Thanks for the replys. I have been eyeballing the east ridge of Bancroft for a while now, but don't have rock gear for the notch. Any easier suggestions?

Couloir Forbin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 0

Atlantic Peak's West Ridge from Mayflower Gulch

North Star Mtn East Ridge from Hoosier Pass

Grizzly Peak D from Loveland Pass

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. We ended up climbing Atlantic Peak's west ridge and had a good time with good (albeit very windy) weather.

Atlantic Peak's west ridge

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Front range snow climbs"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.