Mountain Project Logo

Face Protection

Original Post
Patrick Shyvers · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 10

Quick question for you all;

What do you like to use for face protection?

I normally carry a buff, balaclava, or both and some lip/face balm.

However just the other day I was sucking wind up a mid-13er with temperatures in the mid-teens and winds up to 30-35mph. My hood wasn't enough protection, and my buff was trapping stale air just as I'm fighting for oxygen. But take the buff off, and my face is ravaged by the wind. I wound up trying all sorts of ways of wearing the buff in hopes of improving ventilation, but with little success.

So, I'm wondering. Do you suck it up on the rare times when nasty weather rolls in? Do you opt for a ski mask, ala rei.com/product/725711/seir… ? Do you go all the way to a full mask with heat exchanger, rei.com/product/791255/talu… ?

FWIW my lower face is covered with a light beard. That plus the ice on my beard protects my jaw pretty well- it's my temples, cheekbones, and nose that get really exposed.

Ken Noyce · · Layton, UT · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2,648
Patrick Shyvers wrote:Quick question for you all; What do you like to use for face protection?
Usually 3/8" bolts, but for softer rock I'll go with 1/2"ers. Obviously if it's in a tropical environment you have to go with titanium, but for most areas stainless is fine.
FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
kennoyce wrote: Usually 3/8" bolts, but for softer rock I'll go with 1/2"ers. Obviously if it's in a tropical environment you have to go with titanium, but for most areas stainless is fine.
Funny. Sort of.
Kevin Heinrich · · AMGA Rock Guide · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 286

The Seirus brand balaclavas (or whatever you want to call it) are THE way to go. I think I have the one you linked to and I wore it in -50F (wind chill) conditions regularly last winter (and will again this winter). Breathing in them is no problem.

jaredsmokescigars · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 65
FrankPS wrote: Funny. Sort of.
Not really.
Luc-514 · · Montreal, QC · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 12,506

I've used the old OR Gorilla mask a while ago with ski goggles, worked great on Mount Washington in 100+mph winds.
outdoorresearch.com/en/ws-g…

Using some Dermatone face balm does help a lot when you're getting pelted by ice crystals.

Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175

climbing friend,

you would be using this

Jon H · · PC, UT · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 118

I use a regular Buff. I never found conditions to be worse than a buff could handle, including Mt. Washington and RMNP in winter.

And I normally have a short beard most of the year, but I really hate having one in winter. It ices up and then feels 10x worse than just exposed skin.

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

yeah i like the good ole beard mustache combo. get some fresh pow freeze and thaw and some snot in there and its bulletproof.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Patrick Shyvers wrote:it's my temples, cheekbones, and nose that get really exposed.
Cheeks and nose, sure, but your temples? With a sufficient hat or balaclava and goggles those shouldn't be exposed at all.
Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

1. shave pubes
2. glue to temples and cheek bones.
3. problem solved

Clint White aka Faulted Geologist · · Lawrence, KS · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 151

It sounds like you were hyperventilating if it trapped that much stale air. Take deeper fuller breaths using the buff, and try different mouth, lip shapes with nose exhaling. Double buff, one on neck and mouth, one on head.

That rebreather would be appropriate on Everest, or in a Star Wars movie.

Blowhard McDouche · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 0

The neoprene makes are nice, but I found it helped to cut a few connections in the breathing holes to make a couple of bigger holes.

But yeah, proper breathing is key.
Deliberate deep breaths and full purges every so often .
Ya gotta clear the co2 out to let the o2 in...

Clint White aka Faulted Geologist · · Lawrence, KS · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 151

Full breaths is the key, to the point that you feel the diaphragm fully extend - the diaphragm will get stronger over time and make this a natural thing. Most people only use part of their lung capacity. Force the breath out; this causes increased pressure, which helps gas transfer at the molecular level.

I have a thicker felt or fleece like baklava that I wear when it gets uber cold instead of the buff. More surface area captures more moisture to dehumidify the air on the way back during the inhale. Making it fit right in the mouth is important. If it is loose, the air goes down to the neck and jacket area, and then you breathe that old air back in. That is why I prefer the Buff.

Running often in cold dry air tempers the cells along the throat to withstand more dryness. We are weak with our temperature and humidity controlled environments. Try driving with your windows down and head out the window in the inbetweens.

Clint White wrote:I have a thicker felt or fleece like baklava...
Doesn't that get all sticky with the honey and everything?

Baklava:

Balaclava:

Aww, horseshit! I am not sure I can blame that on autocorrect! Some baklava would be nice, and might help. Honey in the beard isn't good though.

doligo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 264

I only like covering my face when I'm sitting/standing still - otherwise, balaclavas, buffs or neck gaiters just get condensation from breathing and freeze up, which really sucks. I use a Buff for my chin/cheeks, but don't cover mouth/nose and put some sort of petroleum jelly product on my face when it's cold or very windy. I forget the name but there is a product that has a Norwegian flag on it, comes in a tiny tin that you could purchase in ski shops. But it's basically glorified marked up Vaseline.

mmmm, baklava! Damn you, Marc801, tempting us here trapped in the culinary wasteland...

doligo wrote:...and put some sort of petroleum jelly product on my face when it's cold or very windy. I forget the name but there is a product that has a Norwegian flag on it, comes in a tiny tin that you could purchase in ski shops. But it's basically glorified marked up Vaseline.
Are you thinking of Dermatone?
dermatone.beaumontproducts.…

That's it! I love that stuff. Oh, and my bad it used to come with Swedish flag on it. I'm confusing it with Neutrogena that uses Norwegian flag...

Scott McMahon · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,425

Man's face protection

Face protection

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Mountaineering
Post a Reply to "Face Protection"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.