Mountain Project Logo

Anybody here do anesthesia as a career and climb in front range?

Original Post
Vanilla Drilla From Manila · · Goiter, CO · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 50

Hello all,

I'm re-locating to Denver area mid 2016. I do anesthesia (Crna) and was looking to get some idea of how the area is in terms of livability, access, gyms, and maybe places to work? Anybody have any insight, let me know!

Dirt squirrel

Vanilla Drilla From Manila · · Goiter, CO · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 50

I guess I'll be n=1 out there.

Geo Mark · · Denver · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 0

Hi, My wife is an anesthesia resident. She doesn't climb, but I try to. Let me know if you have any questions.

ss · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 10

I know that COANA, CO Association of Nurse Anesthetists, is fairly active in CO. I'd suggest contacting them and possibly joining if you're definitely moving out to CO. It is a growing field, and there are a lot of hospital systems in CO to look at.

Max Supertramp · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 95

there are a lot of folks doing recreational anesthesia in CO. should be fine.

Steven N · · CO · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 80

Only you can answer the question on livability. If you haven't been out here before, I'd say spend a week on the front range and check out various communities. You might prefer downtown Denver or somewhere in the burbs.
The University of Colorado Health system is continually growing and isn't too bad of a place to work. I work in their ED in Colorado Springs.

mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0

You have money, I think you're going to be ok.

T-bone Bowen · · Golden, CO · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 0

Dirt Squirrel, Well I'm the CRNA you were looking for. I married a rope gun and find myself climbing with her a fair amount. I believe you will find more climbing than virtually anywhere in the country between Golden and Boulder. Boulder is for the most part not affordable. If you wouldn't mind sharing your Email or phone number I will give you a lot more information on the area, it's gyms and various jobs that can help support your addiction:).

Optimistic · · New Paltz · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 450

I'm a hospitalist and I don't live in the Front Range (although I used to) but if I can still weigh in...
-if you can set up your life in such a way (ie, don't buy the biggest house and most expensive car you can't afford) as to afford working less than full time, I doubt you'll regret it. Be flexible with your employer and assure them that you'll be front and center for the inevitable staffing crises that come up and will cover open shifts. More coverage is needed when it's too cold to climb, because that's when everyone's kids get sick and they have to stay home.
-insist (politely) on a schedule that includes at least one weekday free. Having a crag all to yourself stacked with classic routes is definitely worth holding out for the right work schedule.
-definitely Denver? Depending on the type of climbing you like to do, other cities in Colorado might work better and potentially be a less competitive job market and a cheaper real estate market.

Bill M · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 317

Fort Collins is worth considering as well

Ben Bruestle · · Pueblo, CO · Joined Dec 2001 · Points: 490

You can pass gas and climb like mad in Pueblo. PM me.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Anybody here do anesthesia as a career and clim…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started