Mountain Project Logo

Ouray ice park is closed looking for some back country ice!

Original Post
Melco · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 0

Heading home from California and was hoping the Ouray ice park would be open, any suggestions on some other ice routes close by?

K Weber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 15

There is a ton of moderate ice in that area. Just look in the guide book.

Jim Fox · · Westminster, CO · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 50

Don't know when you are passing through but I read that the ice park is tentatively opening this Friday, Dec 18th.
With current weather in CO, it seems pretty likely

beaki · · San Jose · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 100

someone was mentioning "the" guidebook ... sorry for my ignorance but which one is the best for the ouray area? is it worth it I am heading to the ice festival in jan 2016 and either before or after the festival would like to do some ice outside the park, too.
thanks !

Matt Johnson 1 · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 0

I am heading to the park Dec 31st and will be there all weekend if anyone is interested in climbing I have enough gear to build a few top ropes.

LIV Veraldi · · Lone Tree, CO · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 495
beaki wrote:someone was mentioning "the" guidebook ... sorry for my ignorance but which one is the best for the ouray area? is it worth it I am heading to the ice festival in jan 2016 and either before or after the festival would like to do some ice outside the park, too. thanks !
Jack Roberts - 2 books on Colorado Ice
climbing coastie · · Wasilla, AK · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 95

I agree that the book is essential!

With avalanche conditions high recently the Skylight area has been a popular option, with the crowds to go along with it. We went to Telluride and did Bear Creek and Ames Falls/Practice Area to find safe ice.

With avy conditions improving options should open up over the next few days.

Blowhard McDouche · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 0

Rumor is tomorrow...

Cale Hoopes · · Sammamish, WA · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 10

I hear some of the camp bird climbs are in. I've seen pix of friends on Choppo's Chimney and Chockstone Chimney. Easy to get to... WI3-5.

Jack's book is the best.

James2 Jones · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 0

Been warm out at night. They hired a bunch of easterners for some reason to make the ice, so far they are having trouble. Campbird is ruined, the top rope crag mentality has invaded the ice there, Roberts is rolling over in his grave, thanks SJMG's.

James2 Jones · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 0

Open with very limited terrain, no South Park which is surprising since it sees no sun to speak of, and is usually fat first. Nothing below the upper bridge. Will be impossible to get on any climbs since there has been 'guides' here chomping at the bit to make money on the ice park for a months now. They will have every climb taken, in fact the ice park is all about the monopoly of guides and guiding.

James2 wrote:Open with very limited terrain, no South Park which is surprising since it sees no sun to speak of, and is usually fat first. Nothing below the upper bridge. Will be impossible to get on any climbs since there has been 'guides' here chomping at the bit to make money on the ice park for a months now. They will have every climb taken, in fact the ice park is all about the monopoly of guides and guiding.
Well, that's depressing to hear...

We will be there Jan 8-10. With current weather forecast, I'd hope the entire park will be open and the ice in decent shape. The ice festival is the following weekend, so I'd guess they will be making ice like crazy.

This will be my first time ice climbing in many, many years. Unfortunately, sounds like most any place with reasonably easy access is likely to be a s__t show these days

Justin R · · Ouray, CO · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 0

I wouldn't worry too much about the park being "ruined." The closed area downstream of the bridge only has a few good climbs. In general, they are shorter with awkward with belay locations. The open areas are where most climbing goes on anyways. Even during the weekend, there's always an open route. One overlooked route in the school room is just as you get on the trestle. The anchor is some chains running underneath the trestle. Just don't go during the ice fest. It's so crowded, no one climbs there anymore.

bevans · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 0

The areas that are still closed were closed mainly due to snow coverage and the resultant difficulty farming. A large group of volunteer guide staff and several others just spent a full day cleaning a ton of routes in multiple areas. This will hopefully get things developing quickly. Fingers crossed for cold nights!

The areas currently open seem to be in good shape.

Justin R wrote:I wouldn't worry too much about the park being "ruined." The closed area downstream of the bridge only has a few good climbs. In general, they are shorter with awkward with belay locations. The open areas are where most climbing goes on anyways. Even during the weekend, there's always an open route. One overlooked route in the school room is just as you get on the trestle. The anchor is some chains running underneath the trestle. Just don't go during the ice fest. It's so crowded, no one climbs there anymore.
Well, that's more encouraging to hear. Thanks.

Ice Fest looks like fun but probably not if you really want to get some climbing in....
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Ouray ice park is closed looking for some back…"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.