Mountain Project Logo

Save the Tufas from Corruption in Mexico: Sign the Petition to Open the Illegally Blocked Road *Access Update*

Original Post
Mark Grundon · · Lee Vining · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 2,076

Just asking for a few clicks. Here is a translated by Google to English version of my friends petition to the government here in Nuevo Leon. Basically there is an amazing climbing area practically in the city of Monterrey but actually in Cumbres de Monterrey National Park. A mining company owns the land accessing the park but through a lot of research my friend from Monterrey has found that the road is public. We have the title to the road and he is working to have the government remove the illegal gates blocking the public road. The mining company is owned by one of the more powerful families in Monterrey so we need all the support we can get to stop any further illegal actions from the mining company. They have already been fined for some their other illegal activities in the area such as diverting water illegally.

Petition for El Diente

Here is the translation in English:
The company Minas Tooth S.A; the company in question illegally closed the last stretch of road tooth ending the barrel of the Tooth (National Property by CONAGUA) in the places where we practice various adventure sports like rock climbing, mountaineering , cycling, etc. Therefore, we seek to denounce and ask the competent authorities to release this road and public use is of utmost importance to the community and minority groups (mountain sports).
The access of emergency vehicles in case of accidents is vital, as well as private vehicles, since in the event of a serious accident, the chances of survival would be void by 2 kilometers you have to travel on foot, where is the gate that obstructs and impedes the right of way over the public highway; with the release of this way achieve expand our ability to plan daily life through sport mountain and have a healthy life in a natural environment, through sports after or before work and \ or studies; therefore call on the relevant authorities to release the way to the tooth, we direct this citizen petition to the following government agencies:

Mayor of Monterrey: Lic.Adrián Emilio de la Garza Santos,

Secretary of the City of Monterrey, Mr. Federico Vargas, directed for 28 municipal councilors and two Trustees.

Recovery Committee directed the Municipal Real Estate Municipality of Monterrey.

Municipal Secretaries: City Secretary (Address Juridica), Secretary of Urban Development and Ecology (SEDESOL) (Urban Control, Juridica Address, Address Grievances and Complaints.

Secretary of Treasury (Department of Municipal Heritage)

Governor of Nuevo Leon, Ing. Jaime Rodriguez Calderon.

Facts Location of the property known as the old road to the tooth: original deeds of: road to the tooth, Registration number: 1904 Volume: 58, Book: 0, number of ID: 19016, dated 10 \ 10 \ 1939 , certified and ratified deeds, located in the archives of the Registry and Cadastral Institute of Nuevo Leon (IRCNL) (original request for property in small movements and duplicate), location data of the duplicate of the scriptures the way the tooth Monterrey, Auxiliary, Volume 11, Book 8, Registration: 1371, ID Number: 18296, number of pages 5-15 dated 1949.

League where the total length of the path shown to the tooth according to the deeds: goo.gl/maps/DBarrPQjqyv

Here is a photo to show it's not choss:

Ken Noyce · · Layton, UT · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2,648

Signed.

Awesome thanks.

Morgan Patterson · · NH · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 8,960

Great! Done...

Nick Jackson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 135

Signed. Where is the more info on this place? It looks amazing.

It's basically in Monterrey. Take a right after Autozone on the Carretera Nacional going towards El Salto. We will post better info once the illegal door gets taken down and things settle out but contact me if anyone is interested in coming to check it out I am there a lot.

Ope · · NFA · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 0

Thanks to you and the others Mark for all the hard work. We have been in El Salto climbing. Going to stop in and do some tufa climbing soon!
Ope
Oh yeah.....signed

Steven Groetken · · Durango, CO · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 390

Signed. Good luck with this. Money talks in Mexico and if the company has familial ties with the local government, which is likely, it's going to be an even bigger struggle. I hope for the best since that place looks awesome.

Manny Rangel · · PAYSON · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 4,789

Easy to support this effort. Right now the first modern route is going up El Diente, big wall style. You can find more info on FB: SIERRA MADRE MOUNTAIN CLUB facebook.com/groups/6628113…

Luke Mehall · · Durango, Colorado · Joined May 2009 · Points: 2,508

Right on Mark and Joel, fight for your rights!

Thanks Luke. Hopefully you can make it next winter.

DrRockso RRG · · Red River Gorge, KY · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 815

Signed, thanks for the work Mark. What's the access situation right now? Sneak in only? My Spanish isn't very good so I'd rather not risk being harassed by a guard.

Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,419

Rock Climbers of The World Unite

You can hike in up the river and the guard will leave you alone.

Limpingcrab DJ · · Middle of CA · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 1,055

Picture of a bigwall from inside of a cave? Ya, safe to say this place looks amazing! Good luck with your efforts.

Ti ck · · souf yeast · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 1,790

wow looks awesome! good luck

HBergmann · · Lexington, KY · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 0

Signed. My friend just came back from EPC and told me everyone's talking about this place being better than El Salto. I'm thinking about going in the summer. Is it too hot to climb there in June? What do I do to climb there? Last thing I want is to ruffle rich people's feathers, get busted and go to mexican jail. Anyone seen documentation that this is federal land? Maybe by June it won't have any more access issues.

If you want to see the legal documents in Spanish Joel is always posting updates in this group. facebook.com/groups/6628113…

It includes the recent notifications from the city to the mining company to remove their illegal doors blocking the public road. All rivers are federal so hiking below the river is a guaranteed hassle free access. It is best to contact someone local in the Sierra madre mountain club before you go for the current situation because it changes weekly.

Access Update:

There were police posted 24/7 for a supposed investigation into the main person fighting for access to El Diente. The investigation was for "eviction" charges claiming the person who has collected the public documents showing the road and canyons are public is kicking the mining company off their land. It doesn't take much to realize that 24 hour police for two months just to keep climbers from climbing takes a high level of corruption. Their corrupt investigation has ended but nobody is currently climbing there. The employees that realesed the documents stating the road is public have since lost their jobs for the county.

There is a future celebration for the sistership relation with Cumbres de Monterrey the park Diente is part of and Yosemite. Currently the park is stating a law that bans all bolting in the park which basically makes climbing illegal in El Salto and Huesteca as well. We need to work towards a climbing management plan with CONAMP the Mexico park service to show that climbers are stewards of the parks. We are in the end fighting a mining company that hasn't operated in years and is trying to block access to one of Mexico's natural wonders so they can build mansions at the footsteps of the park blocking access for all users.

Before the mining company successfully scared everybody from going to El Diente it was being enjoyed not only by climbers but numerous famlies arriving to hike and enjoy it's beauty right within the city.

Here is a link to an article in Vice Sports about El Diente:
sports.vice.com/en_us/artic…

Julius Grisette · · Carbondale, CO · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 5

Wow, keep fighting the goood fight.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Save the Tufas from Corruption in Mexico: Sign…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started