Mountain Project Logo

Suggestions for best softshell pant that could work for both rock and ice

Original Post
Ben Pontecorvo · · Eugene, OR · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 155

Looking to buy one pair of pants for rock and ice- something that is water resistant and I could layer under for ice, but not too hot/thick mild rock climbing.

OR Prussik Pants anyone?

George W · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 6

I had this thought once, then after using a lightweight soft-shell in the cold and bitter wind, I realized that there wasn't a pant that does both well, despite my wooly base. Good luck, though!

grubbers · · West Shore · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 0

Black Diamond BDV pants. I've worn mine on rock in the summer, on ice when it's 10 below, and everywhere in between.

Michael C · · New Jersey · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 340

Patagonia Simple Guide pants (not sure if they carry them anymore). For ice, you'll need a pretty decent baselayer though.

Ghost · · Burlington, VT · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 107

The Simul pant seems to have replaced the Guide pant from patagucci. I've loved it on rock and early season ice so far. The Guide was my favorite, and I expect this to be just as good.

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/mens-simul-alpine-pants-for-alpine-climbing?p=83060-0

I haven't worn them, but the OR Prussik looks to be in the same ball park.

For any of these lighter weight pants that are good on rock you'll want a pretty warm baselayer for ice.

Todd Anderson · · Santa Fe, NM · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 160
TimVT wrote:For any of these lighter weight pants that are good on rock you'll want a pretty warm baselayer for ice.
Yes.

I like Rab's Sawtooth pants. They're on the thinner side, so you need a baselayer (I use Cap 4) for ice climbing.

Do yourself a favor and get a squirt bottle of Nikwax TX-Direct to make your softshells much more water-resistant. They make a wash-in version as well, which I haven't tried.
Daniel Chambo · · Chapel Hill, NC · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 85

Mountain equipment Ibex pant. They have thigh vents that actually make a difference on the approach or warmer weather.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Suggestions for best softshell pant that could…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started