Mountain Project Logo

UTAH - 2015/16 Ice Season

vanman798 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 40

Dirtcicle Saturday Nov 21, 2015. A bit wet still but okay to top rope. Last night was 18 F in Helper, UT so cross your fingers that it stays cold and this will just get better and better.

William Kramer · · Kemmerer, WY · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 935
chadnuesmeyer wrote:#TeamEasy went up to the Uinta's today. Entering from Wyoming the gate is still open and driveable. November Wall - in and good Upper November Wall - in and good Mosquito - not a stitch of ice
Is the Kamas side closed? We were going to do the loop from Evanston and back through Coalville and Echo tomorrow, which I'm assuming Echo is dry dry?
shawn Kenney · · Draper, UT · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 3,112

Climbed Sundial Falls Saturday 11/21/2015 with 20 of my closest friends. Go during the week or make a reservation for the weekend. Long hike and long lines.

Rick Miske · · Orem, UT · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 90

Stairway, Nov 21. Left of center not "that" bad. Right side falling objects from above.

luke smith · · Salt Lake City, Utah · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 121

Thanks cdec, didn't figure Maple had anything in but one can hope this early in the season. Pm me if you have any of those screws left by Thanksgiving and I'll come check them out. Shawn did you say 20 people hiked up to the Sundial?Was it a stairs by the end of the day?

Garret Nuzzo Jones · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 1,436
shawn wrote:Climbed Sundial Falls Saturday 11/21/2015 with 20 of my closest friends. Go during the week or make a reservation for the weekend. Long hike and long lines.
I can't imagine standing in line for that thing, it would barely be worth climbing if it were 10 feet from the road.
Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 5

I top roped Stairway with Rick^^ on Sat. 11/21. That main line was decent for TR, but pro would have been pretty sparse. Unless it gets colder this week that line will probably be melted out after today.

Jeremy Bauman · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,067
chadnuesmeyer wrote: It is also in the Geo-Specific section Northern UT and ID section of the forums not the CO section. All the same, I will see what can be done to make life easier on those where the air is thinner and the pot flows free-er.
Thank you! I appreciate it. I get on MP when just trying to unwind and not spending the few extra brain cells is really approached. Thanks!
Neil Johnson · · Salt Lake City, Utah · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 209

The road to the Uinta ice from the Kamas side was in pretty poor shape on Saturday (for a 2WD commuter car). So we turned around and went up to Aspen Grove. Second Falls is climbable. Roberts Horn also looked like it's coming in pretty well.

Wally29 Wall · · Salt Lake City, Utah · Joined Sep 2006 · Points: 40

Guideline #1: don't be a jerk
This might fall into that category but if everyone keeps gang banging stairway on toprope before it's properly formed, it's going to take a lot longer for it to come in.
Patience young padawan.

William Kramer · · Kemmerer, WY · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 935

Road into Uintas from Evanston is pretty rough as well, no more winter maintenance, imagine gates will be closed soon. We made it to Ruth Lake TH before turning around and climbing at November Wall, which had some really fat lines at both lower and upper wall.

cdec · · SLC, UT · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 654

Speaking the truth should not qualify you Wally! Bravo!

Jim Clarke · · Summit Park, UT · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 1,656

Heading to November Wall tomorrow if anyone wants to join...Evanston around 930am? 20 years ice experience, safe and no ego...

Ty Falk · · Huntington, VT · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 280

Stairway is defnitily thin right now from the looks of it. Pitch one of the fang was better than expected. It seams like a relatively large rockslide came through the woods at the end of the fang approach which makes it a little worse right now.

Brett Verhoef · · Northern Utah · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 380
shawn wrote:Climbed Sundial Falls Saturday 11/21/2015 with 20 of my closest friends. Go during the week or make a reservation for the weekend. Long hike and long lines.
We must all be hard up for ice. Jeff and I climbed Sundial Falls on Friday. Breaking trail sucked after the last snowfall but we were the only ones up there.
Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 5

Wally, while I appreciate the sentiment, I learned a long time ago that unless you're knocking down curtains and daggers (which we didn't), climbing early season ice doesn't do anything to hamper it's growth. I'm 99% sure that with the melt/freeze cycle you won't be able to see any sign of our climb last Saturday.

chadnuesmeyer Nuesmeyer · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 150

Has anybody done anything in southern Idaho or Southern Wyoming? Sorry @Aaron, Cody is just a bit too far for quick Saturday trips. Although, #TeamEasy needs to get up there. If you drew a horizontal line across Jackson, are there ice climbing crags south of that line? Are any of them 'in' right now? What is the access like?

MP is notably quiet on routes in the area. Even in Jackson, MP is very quiet, I know there are more routes than are posted on MP. Any recommended guide books for this area?

Neil Johnson · · Salt Lake City, Utah · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 209

I know there is some supposedly good ice around Fremont Lake in Pinedale. Swift Creek Canyon in Afton has a couple of falls. I'm sure the road is closed by now, but it's probably a 2-3 mile walk. Star Valley is always cold, I'm sure these are in.

I don't know of anything in Southern Idaho, but there are a couple of falls right near the border in the Lewiston area. Approaches to them are pretty long, but the new ski resort may provide easier access to one of them. I've never been to any of them in the winter, so I have no idea what their condition might be like right now.

Not a lot of help, I know. But that's all I've got.

Jim Clarke · · Summit Park, UT · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 1,656

Always been interested in checking out the ice in City of Rocks...likely just for the novelty of it rather than great lines...big snow year & melt/freeze cycle might be worth the trip from SLC.

chadnuesmeyer Nuesmeyer · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 150
Neil Johnson wrote:Fremont Lake in Pinedale, Swift Creek Canyon in Afton, Lewiston area...
Shameless Shaemus wrote:City of Rocks...
Thanks for the intel... any solid links on MP, super topo, or Guide books that I should look into?
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern Utah & Idaho
Post a Reply to "UTAH - 2015/16 Ice Season "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started