Mountain Project Logo

Gunks Camping : MUA still open ?

Original Post
Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 4,098

If anyone wants to talk about this actual subject, post away!

The original thread on this topic turned to such crap I just deleted the whole thing.

Kevin Heckeler · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,616
Brassmonkey wrote:Thank you!!
+1

To update the MUA status - yes, as of Nov 16 2016 it is open. The word on the street is that the rangers are strictly enforcing the 3 day overnight limit. Additionally, it's asked you carry out everything you bring in.
MojoMonkey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 66

Related - is the AAC one now closed for the season? I just tried the booking site but no dates can be selected for a reservation. I can't tell if that means it is closed (the about page says it will close mid-November) or if it is booked up. I'd assume they would take down the reservation page while it is closed. I clicked into next summer and no days were available there either, so it doesn't look like it is just left up for advanced booking of next year.

Looks like nice weather this weekend too. Hopefully the MUA won't ever close, not least because the AAC one will not be year-round. I've made trips there in every month of the year when weather works out. Is camping at the AAC location when it is closed permitted?

I pinged the contact address to find out - and whether a 2016 opening date is yet known - but maybe someone here already knows.

bcaiell3 · · Beverly,MA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 0

I called today and they said they would be open till midweek for certain and to call back on Wednesday for an update on this weekend.

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

I would think this would be a good plan B if the camps are closed.

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/climber-communal-home-near-gunks/110554739

MojoMonkey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 66
bcaiell3 wrote:I called today and they said they would be open till midweek for certain and to call back on Wednesday for an update on this weekend.
Thanks - I got similar info back from the campground host. Reservations for next year will open some time in January. No camping allowed at the AAC site when it is closed.

AAC wrote:We are currently open until Wednesday, we may be open this weekend I will know by Wednesday. It all depends on the weather, Most of my facilities are outside and need to be closed up before any severe winter freeze. We will open up our reservations for next season in January. When the campsite is closed there will be no more camping here until spring. As far as MUA that should be still open once we have closed.
Jon Frisby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 270
Kevin Heckeler wrote: +1 To update the MUA status - yes, as of Nov 16 2016 it is open. The word on the street is that the rangers are strictly enforcing the 3 day overnight limit. Additionally, it's asked you carry out everything you bring in.
I'm the source for the word on the street. Rangers told our neighbors to come out, then got them to breakdown camp and leave. The big pile of trash that people added to all summer was cleaned up several weeks ago so please try not to re-perpetuate that fuckshow by packing out EVERYTHING
Mtn Cat · · Denver, CO · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 21

A bit off topic, but how busy was the AAC campground this season? Did it completely fill up on Saturday nights? I know the MUA was pretty jammed up most weekends.

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

If you plan a few weeks in advance the AAC had spots Saturday nights. The few times I checked last minute the AAC was booked up Friday and Saturday nights. Fortunately I was able to camp (thanks Gail) elsewhere.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Gunks Camping : MUA still open ?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started