Mountain Project Logo

The Wind Tower Quicklink Fairy

Original Post
Eric Klammer · · Eagle, CO · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 2,070

Why? Who are you? Quicklinks were once again added to "The Bomb" rappel anchor, this time at the top of pitch 2. Screwed directly onto the nice and well oriented rap rings.

The P1 anchor used to be similarly afflicted with a quicklink through the same hanger as the rap ring.

Anyways, I've got your stuff. I'll get it back to you in return for some preferably new ice climbing gear. You pay shipping obviously.

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525

just be glad they're adding gear and not taking it...

evan h · · Longmont, CO · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 360

If I understand the set up correctly, this individual may be installing quicklinks to prolong the life of the anchor. If people are at times lowering through this anchor and the rings get thin, the whole system will have to be replaced. Quicklinks can be worn and easily replaced without removing any studs, hangers, etc. I do understand that this is primarily an anchor used for rapping, but I see no reason to remove the links.

Frances McMeinenschnitzel · · Aurora, CO · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 5

Ladies and gentlemen... stop... close your eyes... and imagine a world where quicklink users and rap ring user can join hands and live in peace.

Eric Klammer · · Eagle, CO · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 2,070

Haha, yeah, not a huge deal, was just genuinely curious as to the reasoning.As the rings are attached directly to the hangers and oriented perpendicular to the rock face, the added quicklinks were pretty useless. The links are parallel so pulling a rope is going to be difficult if not impossible and will most likely leave your rope a pig tailed mess.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "The Wind Tower Quicklink Fairy"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started