Mountain Project Logo

Petzl Helmet Crack

Original Post
simplyput . · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 60

I have an approximately 3 year old Petzl Elios helmet. Th helmet lives in the back of the truck when not in use and has not seen any rock fall or impact of any sort when being used. A few days ago I noticed that some of the hard foam on the inside top portion of the helmet has developed three 'spider' cracks. Mainly in the front, on the sides and middle.
My immediate reaction is that the helmet is now compromised and should be retired.
Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing and should I mention it to Petzl, or is this just normal wear and tear?
The cracks, sorry if the quality is no good:

Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203
simplyput wrote:The helmet lives in the back of the truck when not in use and has not seen any rock fall or impact of any sort when being used.
What else lives in the back of the truck? I bet something that slammed into it while driving around. Time for a new helmet.
Kristen Fiore · · Burlington, VT · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 3,378

You'd be surprised how much wear and tear a helmet encounters in 3 years. Just picture how many times you've shoved it into the trunk or crammed it down in a bag trying to get it to fit. It takes its toll as the styrofoam flexes every time.

As for retiring it? Your call. I have a small crack in my helmet foam that I keep a careful watch on. I've been debating replacing it for months.

T340 · · Idaho · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 5

UV and high temps can also compromise the safety of a helmet. I'd replace it, myself.

rocknice2 · · Montreal, QC · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 3,847

I'd say it's scrap. Buy a new one.
That helmet saw some abuse somewhere. Whether on the rock, in your pack or truck. It was crunched at one point. I wouldn't bother calling Petzl it doesn't look like a defect. Looks like it did what it was supposed to do.

EDIT:
After rereading the OP, I see the its an Elios not a Meteor.

If the ABS outer shell is not cracked and completely intact then its probably OK.

Rob WardenSpaceLizard · · las Vegans, the cosmic void · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 130

its fine, its only designed to protect against falling rocks. its not going to give you much of a barrier against banging your head upside down anyway so the cracks are a non issue. additionally a suspension style hard top has no foam and will keep rocks out of your brain. i would not think twice about continuing to use it. I also had the eilos for awhile. I prefer the vector from BD

simplyput . · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 60

Yeah, I figured it was from getting banged around in the truck (I live in it, so everything sees action).
In which case I will chalk it up to wear and tear and not waste my time reporting the issue to Petzl...

Graham Johnson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 0

I had an elios that did something similar. Hadn't taken any significant hits but the foam cracked inside like yours did. Being a poor student at the time I kept using it until the foam broke enough to fall out. Then I got a new one. I'd get a new one sooner rather than later.

that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 236

Bin it, it's not worth the risk.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492
simplyput wrote:Yeah, I figured it was from getting banged around in the truck (I live in it, so everything sees action). In which case I will chalk it up to wear and tear and not waste my time reporting the issue to Petzl...
I think we all know what Petzl would tell you.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Petzl Helmet Crack"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started