Mountain Project Logo

Bouldering around Highlands NC?

Original Post
calpals · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 10

I'm going to be around Highlands/Cashiers North Carolina around thanksgiving and I was wondering if there's any decent bouldering around that area. I've heard of Granite City, but I'm not sure what it's like. Any info would be super helpful, thanks.

webdog · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 0

Is it a time restraint, no partner, no gear? There is so much climbing in highlands/cashiers that I can't imagine trying to only get 10 feet off the ground. The only bouldering that I can think of is probably what you stated, it's outside highlands. If you've got gear there are some pretty well protected 5.6-8 climbs only a few mi outside highlands. There is an 800 ft 5.4 20 min from highlands. There's some bouldering in pisgah over in Brevard which is 1hr away

Brad Caldwell · · Deep in the Jocassee Gorges · Joined May 2010 · Points: 1,400

Granite City is 15 minutes or so outside of Highlands and has a small collection of fun routes...beta is available in the Upstate Bouldering Guide. About 10 minutes north of Cashiers are the 107 Boulders, right on the side of hwy 107, that provide another small collection of fun routes (including some really hard routes)...beta for the 107 Boulders can be found in the Southern Appalachian Bouldering guidebook. Pisgah offers tons of bouldering, if you know where to look! Again, both of the books mentioned above contain bouldering spots in Pisgah...select routes at the North Side and Nowhere Boulders are in the Upstate Bouldering Guide and 4 other spots in the Southern Appalachian Bouldering guidebook. There are great bouldering spots in the Jocassee Gorges, 45 minutes-1 hour away in SC, covered in both of those books as well. Check out Tinyurl.com/UpstateBouldering or Tinyurl.com/JocasseeGorgesG… for info on how to order those books. If you need specific beta on any problems, feel free to get in touch!

calpals · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 10

Thank you both! Ill be sure to check them both out!

Clymbnbear · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 0

Hi calpals I grew up in Highlands and now live in the Asheville area. Recently we have been establishing a really rad boulder field in the Highlands area. Its close to granite city but directions are a little crazy. Its also " kind of a secret" . I will probably be in the area as well around Thanksgiving and would be glad to give a tour. What area are you coming from?

Brad Caldwell · · Deep in the Jocassee Gorges · Joined May 2010 · Points: 1,400

Hey @Clymbnbear...I'd love to check those boulders out sometime. I'll send you a PM and try to set something up!

Clymbnbear · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 0

yep yep, glad to give a personal tour...cant give out directions though... not mine to give know what i mean? thanks John

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "Bouldering around Highlands NC? "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started