Mountain Project Logo

Wear your orange/bright colors

christoph benells · · tahoma · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 306

why would anyone take offense to wearing the color orange?

i dont get it inyokern. its fine to be opinionated but how can you be against a color?

i often wear orange in case i need to be found by a SAR party. it seems pretty simple to me.

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

I feel that red looks best in photos but i will settle for any bright colors.

you don't have to hunt to kill your dinner. growing up on a farm we processed a lot of our own critters. It's where the food actually comes from.

Tzilla Rapdrilla · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 955

Sorry Johhnyrig, my perspective is only skewed by dealing with assholes in the woods for the last 40 years while trying to go hiking and climbing. In my local crag, where target shooting was outlawed years ago after the first innocent person was shot and killed, a second person was murdered this summer in July. The poor guy was just sitting by his campfire and was mowed down by gunfire from an unknown, but illegal location. For 2 people to be killed in an area as vast as the Pike National Forest, for just being there means that using guns in that area is an infringement on those taxpayers rights from using their national forest. Use a more controlled mechanism to hunt. I don't have anything against eating meat, in fact it tastes quite good, but I'm not likely to get shot from one of the meat packing plants in Greely.

Merlin · · Grand Junction · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 10

What does the guy killed by some schmuck in Pikes have to do with hunters? As far as I can tell you are supporting your "majority of hunters are endangering me" silliness with two non-hunter related deaths. The Pikes death was some jackass shooting guns out of season for the hell of it. He should be found and convicted. The incident had fuck all to do with hunting.

Way to learn logical thinking in over 40 years of being in the outdoors.

johnnyrig · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 105

Yeah, you know... I see plenty of non-hunting assholes with guns driving up from the city to go shooting in the hills. Maybe you should take your opinion down to the slums and sling it there. Far more likely to get positive results by educating that lot than to assume all hunters are represented by them.

Are you, by chance, a Sierra Club member? Never had such an unwelcome feeling as when my wife dragged me to a local chapter meeting. Great info on bats; but had to be the iciest reception I've felt since I gave the ex the divorce papers.

You shouldn't have to wear your seat belt either. In fact, maybe you could try that out as a form of protest against all the other bad drivers in the world. Are you by chance a racist too? Kinda the same thing, assuming a minority of some class of people to be representative of the group and then projecting that characteristic upon the rest. Seen plenty of that in my 40 years of being around other people.

Anyway, doesn't really make a lick of difference, does it? I'm not going to change your mind, and you're not going to affect the way or the location where I hunt (or any other hunter, for that matter). Have a nice life. Eat some bacon. Wear orange. Wear antlers. Wear a target. It's your right.

Jake Perry · · Concord, NH · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 1,382

I was out at Boulder Natural yesterday and I'm pretty sure I heard gunfire for most of the time I was there (about 7 hours). I couldn't tell where it was coming from but I was wearing a bright, neon green longsleeve shirt.

So yeah, probably a good idea to wear at least something bright, I've added orange duct tape to the back of my pads for this reason too.

Travis Dustin · · Mexico Maine · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,665

Wow!!! I never expected this to turn into this. I just wanted to make people aware. I was caught off guard from my experience the other day. I never expected hunters where they were . Do what you want out there its your right but be warned it is hunting season. I don't want to see anyone get injured over something they could have possibly prevented by doing something so easy as wearing bright colors and making some noise.

Travis Dustin · · Mexico Maine · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,665
Jake Perry wrote:I was out at Boulder Natural yesterday and I'm pretty sure I heard gunfire for most of the time I was there (about 7 hours). I couldn't tell where it was coming from but I was wearing a bright, neon green longsleeve shirt. So yeah, probably a good idea to wear at least something bright, I've added orange duct tape to the back of my pads for this reason too.
My friend who is a hunter went out with me during bear season last year and said I should put something on my black crash pad. In a hunters eyes a large black thing moving through the woods could be confused easily. They are not used to looking for that sort of thing in the woods
Jason Hayden · · North Clarendon, VT · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 9,585

As a lifelong Vermonter who lives in a rural area I can attest to the need to always wear fluorescent orange during hunting season. I've been sighted in on twice while mountain biking never shot at luckily - many trails that we use for mountain biking or climbing are not state recognized recreation areas and don't fall under the hunting laws. Pway has tons of deer, bear, and waterfowl...it's likely that if you are hearing multiple shots then its duck hunters at one of the ponds or people hunting ruffed grouse. At pway many of the bouldering areas are not on official trails and a person scrambling up a hill in dark clothes with a black pad on their back could be mistaken for a critter...it wouldn't be right but it could happen. Remember the woman shot in Maine in the late 1980's that had on white mittens while hanging clothes on a clothesline in her back yard...I was living up there then and the public opinion was split on fault - crazy!

S. Neoh · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 35
Jake Perry wrote:I've added orange duct tape to the back of my pads for this reason too.
Holy Cow. I never thought of that. Good tip.
S.Mckinna · · CaƱon City, CO · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 1,725
Dylan B. wrote: Yes. And if you steal stuff from an unlocked car, it's 100% your fault. And if you take project draws or stowed gear, it's 100% your fault. Who's at fault isn't really the important question, though, is it? The important question is how to efficiently mitigate the risk. Wearing a garish vest is an easy, efficient way to mitigate the risk. The victim has to live with the consequences. Perhaps the burden of wearing an orange vest is too heavy to be worth it to you. Perhaps you don't really mind getting shot or even killed. That's a value judgment you have to make for yourself. Just like I lock my car and hide my valuables, choose to wear a seat belt, and don't leave project draws or stowed gear, I'm willing to wear an orange vest as a precaution against reckless or even innocent hunting accidents. And I appreciate the reminder from the OP.
+1
Victor K · · Denver, CO · Joined Jul 2003 · Points: 170
$6.00 on Amazon.

I was going to make a joke about getting a farm hand with a rifle for only 6 bucks but then I realized it's not PC and nothing is funny anymore.....

S. Neoh wrote: Holy Cow. I never thought of that. Good tip.
Thanks haha. I just bought a few rolls of orange colored duct tape from staples and tacked 'em on. I had fun with it too and made a smiley face. I might just make the eyes into x's later as a joke lol.

I guess the closer you put the tape to the edge of the pad, the quicker it will come off (I had some really close to the edge initially and it rolled off when I pulled the pad out of the car). But the stuff in the middle of the pad has stayed on pretty well. Another good idea is to clean the back of the pad a little bit before sticking the tape on, so it sticks better, I just brushed off the pad a little. Another good idea is to have a piece or two of tape on the side of the pad that your carry it on, perhaps near wear your head and shoulders will be when your carrying it, also on just the sides of the pad as well, however it doesn't like to stay on too well to the sides.

I may at some point look into just getting a blaze orange piece of fabric similar to my pad's material (organic) sewn onto the back and sides, it'd probably be a worthy investment (probably wouldn't cost that much if you know someone who can do it, if you have to ship the pad anywhere though to get the fabric sewn on then it'll be waaaay more expensive).

it is actually illeagle to purposfully interfere with hunting in many states.

Josh Gregg · · Bridgewater, VT · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 0

Not a hard thing to throw some orange on at all. I used to hunt and was shot at while wearing orange, while hunting. Isolated incident and I have nothing against hunters, but I never go out in-season without throwing on some bright colors and some bright colors on my deer-colored dog.

Being right is pointless if you're dead-right.

The majority of hunting accidents here in VT involve hunters wearing cammo instead of orange. often its family members or someone from the same hunting party.

M Sprague · · New England · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 5,090

Doesn't Organic offer the option to customize your pad when ordering? You could ask them to build it with blaze orange accents if you tend to go to areas where there is hunting.
organicclimbing.com/

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65

Maybe wear one of these?

M Sprague wrote:Doesn't Organic offer the option to customize your pad when ordering? You could ask them to build it with blaze orange accents if you tend to go to areas where there is hunting. organicclimbing.com/
Yeah, they can do that stuff (for an extra fee) but I already have the pads, and it would cost like $100 to send my pads back to them so they could do that, then like $100 to send them back... at that point you could buy another pad or a rope.

Maybe they'd be willing to let me just buy some of their blaze orange fabric instead, and just have someone I know sew it on... This would probably be way cheaper.

Marc801 wrote:Maybe wear one of these?
LOL
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Wear your orange/bright colors"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started