Mountain Project Logo

Black Velvet Road Conditions?

Original Post
JCM · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 115

Going to Red Rocks for a week in early November. Flying in and renting a car. Need to decide whether to get a low clearance economy car, or if it is worth the extra 50 doll-hairs for the week to get something like a Rav4. There are several routes in Black Velvet we intend to do, so being able to drive in there is key. So, can a low clearance 2wd POS rental car reasonably get all the way in? Or is it worth it to rent something with some clearance?

sarcasm · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2010 · Points: 445

I'm probably not the most well qualified person to answer your question considering I'm not there and haven't been there for the last few months and the road conditions can change overnight but I will say that for the past few years I've been going to Black Velvet Canyon at least a couple times a year and everytime I've done so I've done it in a 2wd POS rental.

That being said, it's not very fun because you have to go so slow. And it's absolutely breaking your rental contract because I think in most contracts you agree to not take it off of a paved road. Also, there is lots of potential to fuck up that car if you aren't careful.

But, trust me, I get it there are just some routes that are worth the risk!!

Have fun and take it slow.

BigB · · Red Rock, NV · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 340

Id imagine the road isn't great right now, we've had BIG rains over the weekend(and that area got hit especially hard) . I'm going mtbing out there this sat am...so I will update after I've seen it with my own eyes.

Leslie H · · Keystone · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 415

I have been there twice this season and have seen a major difference between the first time and the last, after only a slight rain in between. I'm also curious as to how the road held up after this past weekend's epic downpours. It would be great to hear from anyone with firsthand pictures or observations.

Joy likes trad · · Southern California · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 71

Need beta on ruts ask Rico Tan.

well played^

JCM · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 115
Bryan Manning wrote:Id imagine the road isn't great right now, we've had BIG rains over the weekend(and that area got hit especially hard) . I'm going mtbing out there this sat am...so I will update after I've seen it with my own eyes.
Awesome, thanks.
Rico Tan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 100
This post violated Rule #1. It has been removed by Mountain Project.

Not allowed first amendment rights while being a target of slander.

Not allowed to exercise first amendment rights while being a target of slander.

Billy Malone · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 10

I have made it back there in a Prius, but I'm sure the recent rain didn't improve the road.

(I don't get the Rico joke)

Adventure Chumps · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 20
Billy.Malone wrote:I have made it back there in a Prius, but I'm sure the recent rain didn't improve the road. (I don't get the Rico joke)
It's referring to this thread.

mountainproject.com/v/how-w…

Here's the general gist:

Rico condemns people for climbing on wet rock.
Climbs on wet rock and gets called out.
Provides a crappy apology, yet fails to realize that he's being a hypocrite.
Claims he only climbed the 4th class portion of SS Gully, perhaps under the impression that 4th class rock is stronger than 5th class rock after rain.
Gets ripped on in this thread.
Goes berserk by blame shifting towards someone who isn't even involved in this thread.
To be continued....
Trad Princess · · Not That Into Climbing · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,175

MP delivers once again.

Remember when men were men, and owned up to a mistake and then STFU? Those were the days.

W L · · NEVADASTAN · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 851
Rico Tan wrote:Remember when men were men , when they hide behind computers and gave someone crap for racking up on the side of the highway, 22 hours after the rain on a sunny day. Then sent threatening Facebook message (re : Weston L (aka: Joshua Janes on FB)) even after I explained and already apologized for the action. I'm sorry 4th class scrambling is not allowed in the rain . If you want to make this a big deal after my apology......well, you already did.
LOL! I met you on the side of the road and openly questioned your decision-making....quite the far from hiding behind a computer. Additionally, Weston is my real name, I am not Josh Janes on FB sweetie.

You really have a hard time letting go, eh? "4th class scrambling" - you were climbing, with a rope on, the day after a significant enough flooding event that it closed SR-159, SR-160, as well as the Calico Basin Road. We're not talking a brief shower the night before. Road work crews were still clearing debris from the sides of the road when I drove out to scope to see if it might be OK to climb the FOLLOWING day. Further, if you guessed correctly, I didn't go climb yesterday - in spite of my partner being in from out of town and operating in a condensed timeframe. If you want to try to justify your behavior, have at it - but at the end of the day, the data doesn't lie:

Courtesy of the Desert Research Institute weather station at the Visitor's Center raws.dri.edu/cgi-bin/rawMAI…

I was out at the Oak Creek lot around noon. Last measurable rain on 10/18? 6pm. Maths...you are either not very good at them, or selectively are not being so. If help with maths is necessary:

youtube.com/watch?v=5l7KbMV…

In addition, measurable precip was recorded at 3am on 10/19. If technicalities are the game you want to play, that would be 9 hours before you and your partner were openly racking up in the lot.

As far as it being a sunny day, mostly cloudy might be a bit more accurate over the park. There is data to prove that as well (other than the fact that solar slab, the whole time we were talking, was in the shade).

We all make mistakes - I certainly have. Own them and move on with your life.
Trad Princess · · Not That Into Climbing · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,175

OH NOE!!!!

FACTS!!!!

EDIT: Thanks for the update - hopefully some educational value comes from threads like these, both in the discussion and the shaming of those with poor judgment.
|
|
|
V

Btw just so EVERYONE knows.... it rained last night again and was sprinkling this morning at 5am in summerland

Manderson198 · · Chattanooga, TN · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 637
Rico Tan wrote:I'm not allowed to defend myself after my explanation and apology , and should instead moving on while people make it look like I was climbing when there's a flood going on in the middle of the highway, which is far from the truth, thanks to you . What would you do Weston L , own it ?
Dude, you're just digging yourself deeper and deeper. Take your licks and move on. You made a mistake. In all reality, no big deal. Learn from it.

No one thinks you were climbing during a flood, but everyone KNOWS you climbed soon after. Presumably, you are a local, and should know better. And don't back-peddle and blame going out on your partner. You're the hot topic in regards to Red Rock weather. That's the way MP forums go.

A simple apology would have sufficed and allowed you to save face. Instead, you blame your partner, and justify going out in several misguided ways ("scrambling", other parties on the rock).

Anyway, this is all hilarious.

Also, Josh Janes is a prominent guide in the area, and an all around strong, strong climber.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Nevada
Post a Reply to "Black Velvet Road Conditions?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started