Mountain Project Logo

TR Onion Valley/Kearsarge Pass

Original Post
Stringlord · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 5

does anyone know of any TR climbing in the Onion Valley/Kearsarge pass are, will be camping out there next weekend...

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Stringlord wrote:does anyone know of any TR climbing in the Onion Valley/Kearsarge pass are, will be camping out there next weekend...
I don't know of any established routes in that trailhead area, but I'm sure you could find some decent rock to build anchors and TR. On either the Kearsarge Pass trail or the Robinson Lake(?) trail.
Joy likes trad · · Southern California · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 71

the high country is dominated by clean untouched granite. the smaller it is the more likely it's been passed by. Every time I hike a high sierra trail I marvel at all the FAs just sitting there undone.

Onion Valley crags

does anyone recognize the crags which are in Onion Valley, has anyone climbed them. we will be camping in Onion Valley next weekend and would love a shot at them...
Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349

Stringlord...... you need to walk into that place, and find out for yourself...

Kearsarge Pass is not generally noted for the good climbing cause most of the stone is pretty chossy.

That being said, I was told by a reliable source, that about .5 hour to 1 hour up from the parking lot, on the right, there is a sport climbing crag, bolted up and all, nice and purdy. I haven't been there so please come back and let us know.

Frank is correct when he says to go look around.... one can TR EVERYWHERE one looks.....

Jeff Mahoney · · Santa Barbara, CA · Joined Feb 2007 · Points: 1,320
Guy Keesee wrote:about .5 hour to 1 hour up from the parking lot, on the right, there is a sport climbing crag, bolted up and all, nice and purdy.
If it's this one, then you'll need to hike a 10-minute mile to make it in a half hour:

A crag.

(It's the obvious crag up and right past Flower Lake. Worth checking out, but don't expect a stroll.)
Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349

Jeff.... thanks for the clarification. You know how the grapevine works...

so about 1 to 2 hrs?

So Jeff, is it worth it?

Fat Dad · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 60

String, that's the north side of University Peak. There's supposed to be a 5.7 somewhere up there put up by, who else, Fred Beckey.

Joy likes trad · · Southern California · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 71
Fat Dad wrote:String, that's the north side of University Peak. There's supposed to be a 5.7 somewhere up there put up by, who else, Fred Beckey.
there are Beckey routes on every single large face of the eastern apron. most have never been repeated or logged.
Jeff Mahoney · · Santa Barbara, CA · Joined Feb 2007 · Points: 1,320
Guy Keesee wrote:Jeff.... thanks for the clarification. You know how the grapevine works... so about 1 to 2 hrs? So Jeff, is it worth it?
I didn't notice any bolted lines when I was up there last (2009), but the rock is good and the cracks on the south face were fun (as far as I soloed up them). If I were camping in Onion Valley, I would definitely block off a good chunk of a day to find out what the crag has to offer now.

Dad,

Any idea how far University peak is from the Onion Valley campground??

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

I would suggest you get a topo map of the area, so you can see where Flower Lake and University Peak are.

its about a 3.5 mile hike up the Kearsarge pass trail out of OV , but i cant seem to find any beta on rock climbing it only mountaineering type climbs. But, i did come across the south face of Charlotte Dome, which i am now obsessed with and is within my climbing ability.....

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern California
Post a Reply to "TR Onion Valley/Kearsarge Pass"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started