Mountain Project Logo

Show Me Your Tools

William Kramer · · Kemmerer, WY · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 935
Matt..C · · South Lake Tahoe, CA · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 20

How do you like the Raptors?

William Kramer · · Kemmerer, WY · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 935

Those belong to my 16 year old son. He tried a pair of those, Vipers, Fuels, Nomics, DMM Apex and Switch, and my X-All Mts and a pair of X-Dreams I was borrowing, and he came away liking the Raptors best. They are definitely heavier than some of the others, but they stick good, and are really really solid feeling when hooking rock on mixed stuff. We haven't had the chance to try them on thinner ice yet, but it is snowing in our hills as I write this, so maybe ...

Zac St Jules · · New Hampshire · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 1,188
Theriault wrote: plus I sold 3 pairs in the last year hahah
Marty, what is the difference between the two farthest right grivel sets?
Jon H · · PC, UT · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 118

Those are the Force Alloy on the right, Master Alloy on the left. He's also got a pair of Force Carbons on top. Both Force have the same geometry, the Carbon just has additional protection against impact with the aluminum brace curving up inside the neck.

I think those Master Alloys were originally mine :)

Force is more dry-tooling specific (note the handle offset is nearly 3x larger) with a more aggressive pick angle. The Master is designed as more of an all around ice tool, however it's certainly on the aggressive end of the and is best dedicated to featured, vertical (or overhanging) ice with significant amounts of mixed as well.

Marty Theriault · · Quebec, QC · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 310
Jon H wrote:Those are the Force Alloy on the right, Master Alloy on the left. He's also got a pair of Force Carbons on top. Both Force have the same geometry, the Carbon just has additional protection against impact with the aluminum brace curving up inside the neck. I think those Master Alloys were originally mine :) Force is more dry-tooling specific (note the handle offset is nearly 3x larger) with a more aggressive pick angle. The Master is designed as more of an all around ice tool, however it's certainly on the aggressive end of the and is best dedicated to featured, vertical (or overhanging) ice with significant amounts of mixed as well.
exactly that !
AThomas · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 25
Theriault wrote: plus I sold 3 pairs in the last year hahah
Holy shit, I need a better job.

Ice is coming!

the dike was climbed yesterday!

Zac.St.Jules wrote:the dike was climbed yesterday!
http://www.mountainproject.com/v/black-dike-got-climbed-today/111185855
Todd Anderson · · Santa Fe, NM · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 160

In honor of mounting a pegboard

Disorganized useless junk

T.L. Kushner · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined May 2009 · Points: 5

i'm certainly not the experience ice climbers that you guys all are. and my tools aren't as new and fancy as yours. but i just bought my first set of tools earlier this week and i'm very excited to do more ice climbing this winter. i've only toproped in passed seasons so i'm definitely eager to get onto some bigger stuff! bring on the COLD!!!!!
mark55401 · · Minneapolis · Joined May 2011 · Points: 355

nice tools ^^^^

T-Bob · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 50

T.L. Kushner, those BD Prophets are great tools. Use them till you crush them. I bet they win the fight.

T-Bob wrote:T.L. Kushner, those BD Prophets are great tools. Use them till you crush them. I bet they win the fight.
+1 for great tools
christoph benells · · tahoma · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 306

anyone on here know how cassin c14 crampons fit with scarpa phantom guide boots?

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480
T.L. Kushner wrote: i'm certainly not the experience ice climbers that you guys all are. and my tools aren't as new and fancy as yours. but i just bought my first set of tools earlier this week and i'm very excited to do more ice climbing this winter. i've only toproped in passed seasons so i'm definitely eager to get onto some bigger stuff! bring on the COLD!!!!!
The only thing that matters is that you're excited for ice season.
Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480
christoph benells wrote:anyone on here know how cassin c14 crampons fit with scarpa phantom guide boots?

They'll fit. Try offsetting the front bails for a better fit if you need to.
CCChanceR Ronemus · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 130

Nomics complete with mustache duct tape. Ice tool heart framing hyalite from the MSU dorms.

On a different note, the picks on my nomics have started to have a couple mm of play when the shaft is torqued back and forth. Anyone else notice this? I've had a buddy who sent 4 pairs back to petzl because of it. Think it's really an issue?

Nomics

its usually just the 2 bolts, look if the treads on them are crushed, happens after a while and gives 1-2mm play

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Ice Climbing
Post a Reply to "Show Me Your Tools"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started