Mountain Project Logo

Ward Pound Ridge Reservation

Original Post
lukeweiss · · St. Johnsbury, VT · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 30

Anybody have more detailed beta on the crags in the reservation? Thinking about popping over there this weekend while visiting family.

Morgan Patterson · · NH · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 8,960

Leatherman's Cave - Good bouldering
Spy Rock - Good bouldering
Ravens Rock - Good Bouldering

Not really a crag destination. Armonk was a great crag but its still closed to the public ;-(

grew up in Armonk. I miss the crag. anybody been back there?

Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,419

Think Tics, - just don't leave any.
Think Tics, - hope they leave you alone.
Think Tics, - some, ? Un-repeated?, very hard things have been done.

I spray my legs and. Socks with Deet . I tuck my pants into the socks and stop and brush down often. I have brought home tics. If you feel sick, but don't see a bite, (take an antibiotic and) see a doctor,!

The Pound ridge reservation at .Cross River, NY offers a days worth of fun climbing possibilities.
An area known as Leatherman's cave has a few steep walls with accessible walk arounds for top roping

.-what is allowed??no rope?no climbing ??! stay low profile?

The less talked about climbing- in this zone, the better,
There is a beautiful roof crack with a few fixed pieces dangling
towards the left of most prominent wall in the area
The main entrance to the reservation is located on route 121 right after it's intersection with route 35 in cross river.
However, the easiest way to, get to leatherman's is by parking on Honey Hollow rd, which is off 121 a little ways further down.,
Drive on this road for half a mile and keep a look out for a trailhead on the left. explore the area, there is a wooden bridge near the entrance of the trail. this trail also leads to a lookout point with great exposure.

Lots of unknown climbers have been staying low key. Please brush off holds after climbing.
There's a few gems to climb.

There is a 'private' Parks' woods lane, that loops past Steep, over hanging 'black' rock.
The cliff faces west I think ?- West Face @ East View.?

lukeweiss wrote:grew up in Armonk. I miss the crag. anybody been back there?
Me too... learned to climb there. Incredible crag... I was working with AF a bunch of years ago trying to get access but we were unable to get in touch with the owner. Folks over at Valhalla might know what the current state is but I'm pretty sure its still fenced off and no trespassing signs posted. I would love to get access back to this crag.
RockinOut · · NY, NY · Joined May 2010 · Points: 100

Drove by about 2 months ago…temp chain link construction fence was up.

DanielPerret · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 0
rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/fo…

I seem to remember something about a ban on roped climbing, but haven't lived out there in several years.

Morgan,
Byram Hills?

lukeweiss wrote:Morgan, Byram Hills?
Roped climbing and bouldering in Ward Pound Ridge Reservations is definitely not allowed. Used to be allowed back 20 years ago but not today... Park manager stated it was a liability issue and the determination was made by county parks office over concerns about previous frivolous lawsuits.

I do know however, that people regularly boulder in the park despite the ban and haven't heard of an issue.

Byram Hills... the Armonk Crag is on Byram Lake Road so yeah think they're the same. A climber actually used to rent a house on top of the cliff and they used to access it that way when the property was shut down to the public (so someones grand kids could have a place to dirt bike). One day the owner found them there and was not happy and kicked them off.. think he threatened to call the police too.

I'll try to re-inquire and do some digging and see if I can't figure out who owns the property these days. 2013 was the last time we worked on this at the Access fund.. at that point the current owner was open to a waiver system, I think, but the gentleman who was working with him was fighting cancer and I'm not sure what happened but never heard anything from him.

Oh I know the history! I was wondering about whether you went to Byram Hills.

Ah no... From Stamford originally.

Huge Drift & I mean by some 75 miles.

This is what I found when I was wondering
what a house next to the next world class bouldering area cost

.33 Limekiln Rd. .. .$.599,900
Enchanting 3 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath Antique home built on a

natural white limestone quarry. Circa 1740

GOT BOLTS?

The deck overlooks the magnificent 100 ft. quarry. Beautiful stonework, pony barn, shed and garage. Babbling book, waterfalls,

Three floor to ceiling fireplaces, chestnut floors, double batten doors with the original hardware, hand hewn beams. Lots of windows show this unique property and bring all the sunshine in.

open meadow, specimen plantings and wildflowers on this one of a kind tranquil 12+ ac. historic site.

Wow that's crazy.. I might have to stop by sometime and ask to see the old quarry...

And they're wrong, it's NOT limestone... its the West Stockbridge MARBLE (!!!) and the house sits right on an old fault line.

And I wouldn't call it world class bouldering...

Step lightly
This is a thing I know a bit about. Get dressed act interested in the home
The way the real estate game works is they - the home owner, will insist that you go through Thier realtor if you show up with out your own.
Then you maybe asked to pre qualify.

If you can, find a realtor to take you on the chance that you are real but does not have to sign you up.

imply it is to win over some one who you will need to Qualify for a big enough loan ,
hope that, that lets you out of giving too much info.

The asset that is the quarry may preclude it from getting a 80% bank loan.?
Which is a 'cloud' on the property. So needing special financing? Or
Providing good negotiability ?

Your tall for the home. It has very low ceilings. .. If your job qualifies you as a potential buyer,
Go for it

Nah just spoke with the realtor... she said old lady owns the home. Realtor said she's nice old woman last name Sherman and to drop a note or stop by and ask which, I will next time im up there... purely for the go check out an old historic site. Climbing would be cool but the house is literally built on top of the quarry so unless you own it, you ain't climbing it. If it were $500k I'd consider it... 12 acres and your own climbing area!

Right almost thirteen acres! I did not check taxes or costs, but the location is a good one.

The " entry road " has 3 or four properties all in the million$ price range with commiserate tax bites.

An old lady wants or may have plans to get out before the snow flies .
So a bit of waiting might be a more stealthy way to check it out.

Went in from Bald Rock road . To the Quarry stiff bush whacking, super steep white marble
And some climbable with tons of work.
To short ? to steep?Holds? Edges?
not for climbing but a very cool, cool spot !
or goat pen.
The deer use it now ~ beware of the tics!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Ward Pound Ridge Reservation"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started