Mountain Project Logo

Midwest Ice Conditions 15/16 season

Original Post
alpinejason · · Minneapolis · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 176

Little thin still in Duluth

Casket

Double J · · Sandy, UT · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 3,931

Is it dry in there as well? Last time i was there to climb the far left walls were soaking wet, but that was a month ago

Dripping for in several areas. Seemed to be more noticeable as the day went on. Martini had a steady drip, enough to get my pant leg annoyingly wet. A couple routes over by big blue are probably a little too wet to climb without a jacket or warmer weather.

crap so far. no ice in OB yet.

Burton Lindquist · · Madison, WI · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 4,215

Todd over in Wyalusing told me there is ALOT of seepage this year coming out of the quarry all along the wall so this is good news.... PLUS.. the solid 2 days of rain we just received is going to really boost the water table levels!

Bow down to the cold gods! Pray for nice cold nights and 25 degree days...

Casket was wet across the board on Saturday.

charlie Carlson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 5

Does anyone know when sandstone will be ready to start ice climbing? When do they start spraying? with this cold the last few days I'm ready to get out and climb

facebook.com/Sandstone-Ice-…

Sandstone news is there, and usually updated. I haven't heard of farming yet, but headed to MSP tomorrow and will see some of the people in the know and can report back.
Petah Lenz · · minneapolis/st.paul · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 205

Farming is underway at Sandstone, but the temperatures are just not cooperating.

We hope to have some fatish ice for the Eleventh Annual Sandstone Ice Festival (Dec 18-20).

In the mean time we are kindly asking folks to stay off of the nascent ice. Thanks!

Good call Peter. Let it grow the next three weeks.

Report that mellow yellow in Nipigon was climbed last weekend. That's would have to be the latest start to the season ever.

Lucas Kramer 1 · · Duluth, MN · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 4

Still too warm in Duluth (and Sandstone) for any climbable ice. Please stay off any ice now in the hopes of a developing base for future bashing...

We stand to have solid ice with a strong natural supply if we get the right temps..

James Schroeder · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined May 2002 · Points: 3,166

Bump. I hate that this thread had slipped to 13th in the most recent posts for the midwest... Anything? Anywhere? Anybody?

At this point only at the higher elevations out west.....
Drive or fly west young man!

Casket is still wet. The west end had some ice but was crashing down all day.

Casket 12/5

Sandstone had a surprising amount of ice on Saturday, a lot of natural ice as well. In the 30 minutes I was there I heard several avalanches. Definitely stay off.

Sandstone 12/5

James Schroeder · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined May 2002 · Points: 3,166

So after 3 cold-like days (highs from below to just above freezing) I snuck down to Governor Dodge this morning at sunrise hoping. I was pretty sure I'd find nothing, but it's the day before the solstice and I had to try something before next week's warm spell (highs pushing 50!). Much to my chagrin, Cox Hollow was a raging falls (as expected), with only a trace of ice on either side. I'd post the pictures I took, but they'd just depress you. Besides, what little was there this morning will be gone by the end of the week. Instead I'll leave you with this.

youtu.be/IvmeUStFvz8

Managed to locate a bit of ice and mixed yesterday 12-19-15. Secret location!
Went to this area on a total internal hunch and hit the jackpot ( or at least close to that given the non-winter so far).

Mike Sohasky happy to have a Guardian Angel.

Erol Altay working the strenuous overhanging iced off-with TheDevilMadeMeDoIt.

J Walton · · Round Hill, VA · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 20
Burt Lindquist wrote:Managed to locate a bit of ice and mixed yesterday 12-19-15. Secret location! Went to this area on a total internal hunch and hit the jackpot ( or at least close to that given the non-winter so far).
Secret Location!? Grrr... ;-/
Anyone know if the Thunder Bay area's getting any snow/ice? Looking for a destination for a couple of days between holidays here. Camping is okay.

JWalton...

not really all that secret... just kidding really... It's within DLSTP. Plain as day for anybody hiking around and looking for such things.

You can check for some ice conditions in OB/Kama bay area here:

acctbay.ca/default.php

There has been a couple of reports for each area by a friend on mine so far. I think the snow conditions are squat so camping would be pretty easy.

Gabe B. · · Madison, WI · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 86

Any one know where to find ice that's in currently? I was hoping to head out on Sunday.

Thanks,

Gabe

Gabe,
Sandstone is in, casket is in, munising has a few routes in. Don't know of anything in southern Wisco, but if you find ice-Please Post!

James S, think cox hollow is in?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Midwest
Post a Reply to "Midwest Ice Conditions 15/16 season"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.