Mountain Project Logo

Vertical Limit with Bear Grylls!!!

Original Post
Craig Childre · · Lubbock, TX · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 4,860

So last week, after some bad ass American Ninja Warrior finals stage one. Bear Grylls was out with another celebrity. This time with Michael B Jordan, they climb up some cliffs. Then made the ultra-wise decision to... rap into an abandon mine shaft? Safely out of the wind and cold. Next up traverse across the old crumbling spiral staircase on an oddly brand new cord. Found their exit point, but it's shut and locked tight to keep people out. So, what's a Bear to do? "I've got some det cord we could use"....I know the whole thing is scripted and scouted... but this new show seems to indulge in the ridiculous scenarios that only seems fitting their aimed at celebrities ... I instantly the thought of "Vertical Limit" flashes to mind. Anyone else shutter to watch further? I mean dude just blew the door off what was very clearly a dangerous mine, then books it to go spend the night spooning with a sheep. I'm not joking! SPOONED with SHEEP! Some kids or a goat could have wander into and fallen in that mine they left all blown to bits.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Craig Childre wrote:So last week, after some bad ass American Ninja Warrior finals stage one. Bear Grylls was out with another celebrity. This time with Michael B Jordan, they climb up some cliffs. Then made the ultra-wise decision to... rap into an abandon mine shaft? Safely out of the wind and cold. Next up traverse across the old crumbling spiral staircase on an oddly brand new cord. Found their exit point, but it's shut and locked tight to keep people out. So, what's a Bear to do? "I've got some det cord we could use"....I know the whole thing is scripted and scouted... but this new show seems to indulge in the ridiculous scenarios that only seems fitting their aimed at celebrities ... I instantly the thought of "Vertical Limit" flashes to mind. Anyone else shutter to watch further? I mean dude just blew the door off what was very clearly a dangerous mine, then books it to go spend the night spooning with a sheep. I'm not joking! SPOONED with SHEEP! Some kids or a goat could have wander into and fallen in that mine they left all blown to bits.
Yeah, saw it - had some of the same thoughts. Totally scripted and pre-planned, so we don't know what the producers agreed to or did after shooting the segments. Maybe the mine - at least the entrances - was/were destined to be filled in. Perhaps that gate was to be replaced and BG merely started the job. You know there's a crew of about a dozen on these BG episodes.
Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

"I've got some det cord." Ha ha ha. Funny stuff. Having actually been buried in a cave with at least a pound and a half of Kinopack, we opted to...

wait for it...

dig our way out.

Just one question. Did he have to at some point

drink his own piss?

Nic Harnish · · Durango, CO · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 615

I think we should congratulate Bear! Anyone willing to take his actions seriously should probably do us all a favor and die taking his actions seriously

johnnymuir · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 20

Bear Grylls is to survival what Dr. Oz is to medicine.

Buff Johnson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 1,145

if only someone coulda zapped the cord

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

What do you have against sheep?

Ney Grant · · Pollock Pines, CA · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 1,375

"I've got some det cord we could use"....

I don't understand. I bring explosives on many ventures, and you can clearly see them in this photo of my supplies laid out before a rebolting project. Do you know how hard it is to get some of the old old 1/4' buttonhead bolts out?

Rebolting gear, plus explosives.

mcarizona · · Flag · Joined Feb 2007 · Points: 180
Stich wrote:"I've got some det cord." Ha ha ha. Funny stuff. Having actually been buried in a cave with at least a pound and a half of Kinopack, we opted to... wait for it... dig our way out. Just one question. Did he have to at some point drink his own piss?
When they drank the piss behind the Kraft boulders!!!!! Probably less than 4 miles from that grocery and all the kind restaurants by the gas station. Ninja warrior rocks, tho..
Steve
Scott McMahon · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,425
johnnymuir wrote:Bear Grylls is to survival what Dr. Oz is to medicine.
HA!!!

"do us all a favor and die taking his actions seriously" LMFAO GOLD!

So someone does carry det cord... RAD usage too!

I stand corrected. Had not considered the retro bolter.

Nice story Stich!

Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 86

It is TV...

Just go climb and don't worry about it.

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480
Parker Wrozek wrote:It is TV... Just go climb and don't worry about it.
But how else can I brag to my friends that I'm a bad ass climber, skier, mountaineer?
Ney Grant · · Pollock Pines, CA · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 1,375

I'm going to fess up because I thought someone would surely jump on me for using explosives to remove bolts. I don't - it was a joke. The explosives you see in the photo upthread are fireworks and I had put them there for the heck of it a few months ago when I put together that photo. 1/4" buttonhead bolts can be hard to remove however...

christoph benells · · tahoma · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 306

bear's got nothin on this guy

youtube.com/watch?v=uWGcTvH…

or this guy

youtube.com/watch?v=5iyNncv…

Buff Johnson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 1,145
Zabadoo · · Grand Rapids, MI · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 15
christoph benells wrote:bear's got nothin on this guy youtube.com/watch?v=uWGcTvH… or this guy youtube.com/watch?v=5iyNncv…
I just about spit tea out of my mouth when the kangaroo guy got kicked in the face by the kangaroo at 5:50.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Vertical Limit with Bear Grylls!!!"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.