Mountain Project Logo

Tow Hitch Cargo Carriers

Original Post
Tristan Burnham · · La Crescenta, CA · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 2,176

I just got a 2001 Rav4 and was thinking about getting one and then strapping some rubbermade bins on them for extra space.

Anyone have a tow hitch cargo carrier on their car or suv? Like it? Lame?

etrailer.com/dept-pg-Hitch_…

scott cooney · · La Casa Taco · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 85

I've used them before and they can be really handy, and they can be a pain in the arse too.... last time I used one it resulted in me being pulled over and my truck being put through a K9 search on the side of a highway because my plate was partially blocked by the cooler on the tray......

Ray Pinpillage · · West Egg · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 180
Tristan B wrote:I just got a 2001 Rav4 and was thinking about getting one and then strapping some rubbermade bins on them for extra space. Anyone have a tow hitch cargo carrier on their car or suv? Like it? Lame? etrailer.com/dept-pg-Hitch_…
Most of those cargo carriers will hold more than your Rav4 is capable of hanging off the back. I have one that I use only if I have to, mainly for firewood. Otherwise I'd rather use a roofrack.
Tristan Burnham · · La Crescenta, CA · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 2,176

Thats shitty scott, but I'm not worried about that. Are they a pain in other ways? Like trying to open the trunk and stuff?

Yeah throwing firewood on there for camping seams way better than putting it in the back.

I have ski racks on top for snowboarding, but I'm trying to decide if I should get a sky box on the roof or go way cheaper and just get one of these. I need a place for smelly boots and climbing shoes.

Ray Pinpillage · · West Egg · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 180

Roof pods let you dump gear in them while being secure. The receiver hitch trays are generally a pain in the butt. The last time I used mine was a trip to Tuolumne and only to carry firewood, I have plenty of room without it.

Also, depending on the type of receiver hitch you have you may have to deal with adapting a 1 1/8" receiver hitch since most trays have a 2" shank.

John D · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 10

I use a hitch carrier for my motorcycle on my 4 runner (I know different from cargo carrier)I like it, but one think I didn't think about was when I'm driving sometimes the rack scrapes the ground if it's a big dip or rough ground. I don't know how much you'll have to deal with rough roads, but it's something to keep in mind.

Burd · · Selinsgrove, PA · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 0

If you take a long trip just be sure to place a piece of plywood under the right side. The exhaust pipe will put out more heat than you think. Have a Tacoma truck and melted part of a cooler on that side, warm beer sucks. Once I put a square of 1/4" plywood down the problem was fixed.

Justin Tomlinson · · Monrovia, CA · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 270

I've been thinking about getting cargo carrier for our Nissan Rouge. Even a one night trip with my wife and 2 year old son amounts to a full car with the cooler, firewood and all the cushy chairs and sleeping pads.

Anyone have any other words of experience using cargo carriers?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Tow Hitch Cargo Carriers"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started