Mountain Project Logo

RACK ENVY

Tom Sherman · · Austin, TX · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 433
Dylan B. wrote:It's not the fact of having a hobby I wonder about. Though that's an interesting question in it's own right. Nor is it the acquisition and accumulation of tools to facilitate the hobby that I'm thinking about. It's not even the discussion and comparison of the tools that I'm inquiring about. It's specifically the impulse to display the accumulated tools that has me curious.
Dylan, that reminds me, if you have some time for an anecdote. In college we had to take a senior seminar course, all of which topics are glorified basket-weaving useless endeavors. I picked one called 'collecting ourselves' or something like that. (Prof had high reviews) To be honest I did actually gain something from the course. From that coursework, I would say that the display of our trinkets is a way to visually evoke our mind. Both for the imagination of future outings and the recollection of past experiences. It would make sense that our hobbies/ passions/ life focus is what we would desire to display most. (AKA what we would enjoy provoking our mind with the most.)
Steven Lee · · El Segundo, CA · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 385
Dylan B. wrote:It's not the fact of having a hobby I wonder about. Though that's an interesting question in it's own right. Nor is it the acquisition and accumulation of tools to facilitate the hobby that I'm thinking about. It's not even the discussion and comparison of the tools that I'm inquiring about. It's specifically the impulse to display the accumulated tools that has me curious.
My friend has a dog that brings out his toys to show off every time a guest visits the house. He takes them out of their normal spot, plays with them, and goes back to take more out right in front of you.

It transcends species! There must be something deeper. Maybe it's like, "Hey, I'm your friend, and I want to show that I am capable."
Tom Sherman · · Austin, TX · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 433

Good point about photos, but you have to understand those are explicitly linked. One can look at a photo of a past climb and reminisce, or a beautiful rock face and dream of future exploits. But the gear is much more imaginatory I suppose. And I am not saying we look at our gear and drift off day-dreaming, I think it works more subconsciously.

In the class we talked about 'sentimental value', 'nostalgia', 'reminiscing'. Why do these thought-processes exist, why do we cherish the thoughts, hold onto them, choose to collect them. It's all about the psyche and how a physical object can provoke it.

Maybe I just listened to too much of their bullshit that semester...

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525

i don't usually post such sexy pictures but heres my rack

now before you flame me, just know i enjoy it. it's hilarious to read.
Trondheim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 35
My rack

Seriously this is hilarious but whats up with people adding their sport draws and harnesses as racks. There should be some sort of standard for measuring this. Like number of cams? I dont know. Im just 14 so. Im on my way to nyc (i live in norway) so i got no pictures but i can write down my protection.

2x sets of 1-11 wallnuts dmm
1x set of dmm offsets
1x set of dmm peenuts
wild country slung rockcentrics 1-7

X4:

C4:
2x 0.75
2x 1
2x 2
2x 3

One 0.5 x4 and one 0.5 in x4 works for me.
15 cams in total

But wait....
Wild country rigid (forged) friends size 2 and 2.5!!
Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

Like saying why are you putting biners as part of your rack... draws / biners are just as important as your cams.

Maybe you have never slung as chicken head because you are somewhere cams and nuts don't work?

ViperScale wrote:Like saying why are you putting biners as part of your rack... draws / biners are just as important as your cams. Maybe you have never slung as chicken head because you are somewhere cams and nuts don't work?
Ofcourse slings is important but i think draws and such doesn't really tell us much about your climbing area and history. (Maybe sometimes) if you see someone with 4 sets of brassies you're maybe thinking he is the best trad climber ever and needs fingernail sizes in friples or maybe just a gearcentered aidhead. Or maybe a dude considering the 4 a small piece and shows of his collection of valley giants. Like people have mentioned gear whoring is for real but trad gear is mainly at least to me, what you meed to get to the top. While draws shows of how rich you are with your stupid petlz ange draws. People show off even more with their trad racks but that rack is mostly performance based.

Whatever... im just a stupid teen who spent my money on trad gear.
Kevin DeWeese · · @failfalling - Oakland, Ca · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 981
Fabian Kolbergsrud Espeland wrote: Whatever... im just a stupid teen who spent my money on trad gear.
Whoa! Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk. Even if it's towards yourself in a passive aggressive way that allows us to see your embarrassment and fear of being called out shining through.
Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175

yeehaw, climbing friend,

Perhaps you are reincarnating from past life as sigmund freud, climbing friend. i see you pschoanalyze this young from over the tubes of the internet, myah?

Kevin DeWeese · · @failfalling - Oakland, Ca · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 981
Aleks Zebastian wrote:yeehaw, climbing friend, Perhaps you are reincarnating from past life as sigmund freud, climbing friend. i see you pschoanalyze this young from over the tubes of the internet, myah?
+1
Camssss

Nutsss

Hexsss

Bd hex 11

Rigid friends 2 and 2.5

I know i know...
Pretty shiny huh
This is protection only as it should be
Zac St Jules · · New Hampshire · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 1,188

This is fun.

rack

Z.St.Jules wrote:This is fun.
That flash though
Zac St Jules · · New Hampshire · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 1,188
Fabian Kolbergsrud Espeland wrote: That flash though
Dark gear closet.
Dave Holliday · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2003 · Points: 1,078
Chase Bowman · · Durango, CO · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 1,010

Jesus Christ Dave.. 80 cams and 8 #1s??? do you plan on climbing El cap in one pitch?

keithconn · · LI, NY · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 35

So much ENVY!

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

Dude where are all your nuts????

I only have 15 cams and have 26 nuts not counting my tricams which can also be nuts!

ViperScale wrote:Dude where are all your nuts???? I only have 15 cams and have 26 nuts not counting my tricams which can also be nuts!
With those cams he won't need nuts.
WyomingSummits · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 0
Dave Holliday wrote:
Holy.....freaking.....smokes. Now I know where to point the finger if the world has an aluminum shortage!
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Trad Climbing
Post a Reply to "RACK ENVY"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started