Mountain Project Logo

Value of old gear

Healyje · · PDX · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 422

Give me a shout if anyone has a #4 Lowe/Byrne Ballnut they'd be willing to part with, still looking for another of those as the one I've had is starting to show its age...

Zappatista wrote:Ok, here's a question. Why not buy a new set of camp/trango ballnuts if you're in the market? From what I gather from your posts, you fall on these. Why search out the old one if the new ones are liable to be more trustworthy?
Because they're not. There were a number of subtle changes made by the Korean manufactures who didn't really understand how the originals worked and how they are used. So, while they may be 'better made', I don't personally find them to be particularly useful in the context of my own climbing.
Gunks Jesse · · Shawangunk Township, NY · Joined May 2014 · Points: 111

Resurrecting an old thread...

I've rescued some classic gear from oblivion and am wondering if the community can help me ID these Dolt nuts/stoppers? I also have a nice collection of very good condition Dolt Trunuts and Spidernuts, as well as lots of pitons and hex nuts.

Any ideas on these?

Edit: what I originally thought was an "&" stamp was used as a "D" initial.

Dolt Nuts, but when and what kind?

Another view - note the ampersand (&) stamp on the smaller two.

Bill C. · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 110
Royal wrote:I finally got around to taking better pictures of everything. I also inventoried everything. In the first picture does anyone know what the red plastic handled devise is for?
This might be pretty unlikely, but the red handled thing almost looks like an old harp tuning key. Not sure why that would have found its way into a collection of old climbing gear, but that's what my brain jumped to first when I saw it!
Eric Mountford · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 0

Jesse,

Are you sure those are Dolt? Most of Bill's stuff was labeled "Dolt". I've never seen those but they look very similar to Clog's. Of course Bill was pretty OCD when it came to nuts and turned out around 18(?) different varieties. I only have a set of crud nuts and trunuts personally.

ACR · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 590

Looks like at least one "Kernlchock" and a few "Narrochocks". They are from 1968/69 timeframe.

As with anything, old gear is worth what folks will pay and Dolt always goes for a premium. There are a few hardcore collectors out there that might indulge in a bidding war if you want to sell it.

If you want a decent price or just want to talk details PM me.

Check out my gear museum if you have a second or two:
Vertical Archaeology

I'll be glad to offer any assistance I can.

Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203

Jesse see this page from ST: thenosev2.pairserver.com/cl…

Seems like a corn chock, kernel chock, and a couple of nut chocks. After seeing more pics I think I also have a tiny Dolt jack. I'll post up pics tomorrow of the jack. The chocks are in like new condition! Great collectors pieces! Also have a spidernut and a bunch of trunuts.

More help needed - this looks to me like a VERY small Dolt Jack. Can anyone confirm? If so, what size?

Dolt Jack?

Looks like a dolt jack

karabin museum · · phoenix. AZ · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 1,670

In the photo with the four Dolt nuts is a Dolt Hipchock (largest). Then Dolt Blockchock (square top), A Dolt Cornchock, And smallest is a Dolt Kernelchock

-Karabin Climbing Museum

One more for help identifying. This is the smallest hex nut I've ever seen. The only ID on it is a "1" stamp. Copper ferule with solder to connect the wire. Note it is about 3/4" long and maybe 1/8" across. I don't even have a clue who made it, when, or anything on this one.

Hex nut

Hex nut

--- Invalid image id: 110655441 ---

Roots · · Wherever I am · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 20

Let me know if anything is for sale. Thank you.

Dolt, Summit Mag March 1969

Dolt, Summit Mag Jan/Feb 1969

The wired hex looks like a first generation Troll, or Eiger

If you are selling any of this the museum is always looking.
Also reference Supertopo.com, Dolt Stories forum thread
Dolt Chocks
Dolt Kernlchock - (with sling), one size available. First mention Summit mag Oct 1968 pg 38. Photo shown in Summit mag March 1969 pg 36.
Dolt Cornchock - one size - first mention shows photo Summit mag March 1969 pg 36.
Dolt Narrochock - hole through ends with wide taper sides. First mention Summit mag Oct 1968 pg 38. Stamped "N1"
Dolt Hipchock or Nutchock - three sizes shown. First mention Summit mag Oct 1968 pg 38. Not 100% sure on correct name of these nuts.
Dolt Blockchock - far right row three sizes shown. First mention Summit mag Oct 1968 pg 38. I am guessing these are Blockchocks since they are perfectly square on the tops of the nuts.

Gunks - Thanks for making them available.

EDIT: scratch that.....you pulled the auction already? Someone get to you with a grip of cash? LOL

And thank you Marty for the history!

Hey Roots - I made a mistake in the original post. They are back up as individual pieces (more collector friendly since not everyone needs all the pieces to complete their sets - this I understand).

Here is the link to the Crudnut. You should be able to navigate to the rest using the sellers other items link in the listing. The chocks are going up tomorrow. Bid it up gentlemen!

Look at this on eBay:

pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=it…

Dolt Spidernut aka Crudnut Rock Climbing Nut Stoppers from Chouinard Era

^Got it thanks!

Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203

If folks are wondering about the value of old gear and given Jesse just listed his Dolt collection:

ebay.com/itm/Climbing-Gear-…?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Value of old gear"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started