Mountain Project Logo

What's the deal with MP forums?

Original Post
new2rock · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 0

I will probably get blasted for asking this but...

Why are the MP forums so mean spirited? All I see are acusations of trolling (& what's up with the Elanor, Hellanor, Trollenor bit- is one person really doing all the trolling?), name calling, pissing matches and arguing.

I am afraid to ask questions(being a "noob") or post anything on the forums. It seems like a great idea to exchange information and ideas but I am put off by the general crappiness I've seen in how some people treat each other.

Probably just the internet in general, I guess but thought climbers might have more sense of common interest/community....

Tom Sherman · · Austin, TX · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 433

epic

Leify Guy · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 367

Definitely an all around internet forum thing I'd say, I personally find it amusing to sit behind my computer and follow the trolling.

splitclimber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 18
new2rock wrote:but thought climbers might have more sense of common interest/community....
we do but one person (maybe 2 or 3) has the uncanny ability to bring this place down.

also, search the forum before you post a noob question. it has probably been discussed before. :)
bearbreeder · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 3,065
hmmmmm

;)
Tom Sherman · · Austin, TX · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 433

this should get me the last 45mins through the workday

Trad Princess · · Not That Into Climbing · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,175
Jason Halladay · · Los Alamos, NM · Joined Oct 2005 · Points: 15,153

I think you're right about it just being internet forums in general that are flooded by negative or mean-spirited users. Actually it's even more than that, it's genetic and societal.

The good news is, there is a good number of nice, real folks on this forum and once you spend enough time around here, you'll take notice and appreciate their posts and attitudes. The rest...I've just learned to ignore and that's working pretty well. It's hard, though, I know.

MojoMonkey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 66
new2rock wrote:I will probably get blasted for asking this but... Why are the MP forums so mean spirited? All I see are acusations of trolling (& what's up with the Elanor, Hellanor, Trollenor bit- is one person really doing all the trolling?), name calling, pissing matches and arguing. I am afraid to ask questions(being a "noob") or post anything on the forums. It seems like a great idea to exchange information and ideas but I am put off by the general crappiness I've seen in how some people treat each other. Probably just the internet in general, I guess but thought climbers might have more sense of common interest/community....
It is the internet, and climbers are also people. People will handle things differently than you would and may have different goals than you.

Personally I am put off by people that start their posts with some variation of "I know I'll get flamed for this, but...". I'd rather folks just say what they have to say. However, you may see that as a polite way to introduce what you think is contentious so I won't really hold it against you.

Though I hear that Adam guy is something of an a-hole.
bearbreeder wrote: ;)
are you suggesting... that the OP might indeed be hellenor?
M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911

keep your questions in the beginner climbing forum and you'll find people are way nice in there.

MojoMonkey wrote: ... Though I hear that Adam guy is something of an a-hole.
If you're referring to me, that's what I hear as well. The reality is: I love climbing...LOVE it. Unfortunately, I can't stand a good portion of climbers. Passive aggressive, whiny, thin-skinned, spineless. Etc Etc. Those are the ones that become butt-hurt, my friend (see the chart).

Fortunately, there are some climbers that are fantastic human beings and friends. I should probably just focus more on them and ignore the chaff, eh?

If you weren't referring to me, btw - you should have been.

If I understand the forums as well as I think I do, I think we're about to hear about how we shouldn't worry about any of this stuff... and only worry about an enjoyable bold flash?

Leif...killing me!

I can't help, but bust up laughing every time I read, in no particular order, the words "enjoyable" "flash" "refresh" "cheesesteaks" etc etc.

This particular part of MP has been a bright shining beacon to me in days of dark.

MojoMonkey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 66
Adam Burch wrote: If you're referring to me, that's what I hear as well. The reality is: I love climbing...LOVE it. Unfortunately, I can't stand a good portion of climbers. Passive aggressive, whiny, thin-skinned, spineless. Etc Etc. Those are the ones that become butt-hurt, my friend (see the chart). Fortunately, there are some climbers that are fantastic human beings and friends. I should probably just focus more on them and ignore the chaff, eh? If you weren't referring to me, btw - you should have been.
Pretty passionate response, are you sure you aren't taking the internet too seriously?

Besides, it was just something I heard on the taco...
MojoMonkey wrote: Pretty passionate response, are you sure you aren't taking the internet too seriously? Besides, it was just something I heard on the taco...
No passion there, really - just reality. Lots of folks have trouble with it. I hope it becomes easier for them some day.

Until then, it's buckets of fishheads and cold-stream-benchpress for this guy.
Adam Burch wrote:Leif...killing me! I can't help, but bust up laughing every time I read, in no particular order, the words "enjoyable" "flash" "refresh" "cheesesteaks" etc etc. This particular part of MP has been a bright shining beacon to me in days of dark. Also this
I will admit that I do thoroughly enjoy reading those words myself, in fact, I think I try harder to flash routes now just because I read about how enjoyable it is... also cheesesteaks are and will always be a major contributing factor to my climbing performance.
FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65

My wife sent me a string of them one day, making fun of me on the forums. This one made me giggle, since I also complain about not having enough time to get things done around the house.

gittim

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Discuss MountainProject.com
Post a Reply to "What's the deal with MP forums?"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.