Mountain Project Logo

Tips to help stop being a pansy.

Tommy Layback · · Sheridan, WY · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 85
nicelegs wrote:Withhold sex?
That's what I tell my wife when she gets in a pissy mood - "no cock for you until your attitude improves!"
Jason Todd · · Cody, WY · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,114

Get results.

Donkey punch.

Travkrack · · Alaska · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 5

Get her to smoke more buds to stay relaxed ( works for me personally). Or go get some crack
to hype her up! Smoke da rock/ climb the rock! Don't judge, do it and you shall understand :) Cheers!

DWF 3 · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 186

It took a bit of a dip but this has turned into a great thread.

aikibujin · · Castle Rock, CO · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 300
Don Ferris wrote:If she would tr, fall and be completely ok with it. I never would have thought to find a remedy. The problem comes in when she gets pissed that she was unable to send.
This doesn't sound like a climbing problem. This sounds like a personality problem. Maybe make an appointment with a psychologist for her?

I mean seriously, climbing should be fun, that's why we do it. We all get frustrated when we can't climb something, but at the end it's still fun (even if we got shutdown). If she gets pissed because she can't send, maybe she needs to adjust her attitude, especially if that negative attitude affects others. I know I wouldn't want to be around a climber who gets all pissy if they can't send.
doligo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 264
aikibujin wrote: This doesn't sound like a climbing problem. This sounds like a personality problem. Maybe make an appointment with a psychologist for her? I mean seriously, climbing should be fun, that's why we do it. We all get frustrated when we can't climb something, but at the end it's still fun (even if we got shutdown). If she gets pissed because she can't send, maybe she needs to adjust her attitude, especially if that negative attitude affects others. I know I wouldn't want to be around a climber who gets all pissy if they can't send.
Ever been to a major sport crag? Lots of grown ups throwing tantrums.
Ryan L · · Ringwood NJ · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 105

Everyone that's said your spraying or bragging about her climbing 11d is just jealous your girl can climb harder then they can!

Ryan L · · Ringwood NJ · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 105
doligo wrote: Ever been to a major sport crag? Lots of grown ups throwing tantrums.
Double post but I might just have to be on the lookout for that at Rumney this summer if I get a chance to check it out haha. Being young I can say its quite funny/entertaining seeing adults heading backwards in terms of maturity.
doligo wrote:Ever been to a major sport crag? Lots of grown ups throwing tantrums.
Of course I have (been to a major sport crag, and seen grown ups throw tantrums). But they were never in my group, and if they were... they are not anymore!
P. Sully · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 350

Penalty Slack

and i believe the correct term is "pussy"

Ryan M Moore · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 35

+1 penalty slack

J.C. Penny · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 15
aikibujin wrote: This doesn't sound like a climbing problem. This sounds like a personality problem. Maybe make an appointment with a psychologist for her? I mean seriously, climbing should be fun, that's why we do it. We all get frustrated when we can't climb something, but at the end it's still fun (even if we got shutdown). If she gets pissed because she can't send, maybe she needs to adjust her attitude, especially if that negative attitude affects others. I know I wouldn't want to be around a climber who gets all pissy if they can't send.
Here we go, Internet shrink!
DWF 3 · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 186

Who else gets the feeling "J C Penny" is actually Whore-a-nor?

J.C. Penny wrote: Here we go, Internet shrink!
That would be $200, thank you. Please make your next appointment with the receptionist on the way out.
Em Cos · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 5

"Sack up or I'm taking you off belay."

It's worked for me.

On a more serious note, it's difficult to give someone advice third hand. But if the problem is that she's perfectly happy just top roping comfortably within her limit but you wish she would approach climbing differently, maybe just let it go. Someone is totally happy doing an activity? What more could you ask for?

But then you say, that's all fine, it wouldn't be a problem except that she gets pissy (your words) when she fails on a climb. How will getting her to push herself fix that? Sure, she may improve her skills and her comfort zone will increase a grade or so. Won't she then just get pissy when she fails on the new higher grades? Unless she climbs things below her new higher limit, in which case she's still just being perfectly happy TRing below her limit.

All if us climb at different levels, but we all have a level that is easy and not challenging, and a level where we can push ourselves to grow but are definitely going to fail a lot on the way there. No matter what her limit becomes she will always have a limit, if she doesn't deal well with failure that's unlikely to improve just because she gets stronger.

Paul Hutton · · Nephi, UT · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 740

Some of these posts are great! Lots of comedians in here! Different points of view. Don't take each other so seriously! F*** it! I hate it when people try to make me something I don't wanna be, for no obvious cause. I don't have much respect for anyone that allows themselves to be a puppet. I've had a girlfriend that would get pissed when she couldn't increase her altitude on the wall and I'd give her a firm tone (thinking she'd be influenced by my aggression and become aggressive, herself), and the girl I'm with now has gotten pissed when I tried to push her into trying the lead test at the gym after I taught her how to clip draws on easy sport routes outside. The chemistry of dialogue between people is very complicated. After almost every conversation I have, I dwell on it, wondering how saying something differently might have adjusted the mood or the topic. Some are sensitive and want to sleep on a cloud-soft mattress and want someone to hold the umbrella for them and want to dine with fine china, and some want to harden their exoskeleton and want to be prepared for the worst and possess superhuman strength and skills. I strive to be strong-minded and strong-bodied. I grew up with tough parents who stood up for themselves. The idea of preaching "Whatever you think or do, be all you can be." Some are stronger than others in different ways. But we ARE human with different backgrounds. Words don't do shit! Incentives that involve depriving someone of some type of solid substance, taking action, rewards. That'll get you the results you want! I shut my mouth when someone is climbing. Maybe a firm "c'mon!" when they hesitate in a difficult spot. I don't run the show. I don't own a wall or a route. I don't own a professional climber that works to pay my bills. I'll give insight and advice based on opinion and/or experience, when it's asked for. Less is more.

rgold · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 526

The only problem the woman has in this situation is her man.

Matt Wilson · · Vermont, USA · Joined May 2010 · Points: 316
Blissab wrote:If my math is correct, "bump up a few grades from 11d" = 13d...my gosh, what more do you want?
Since when does "a few" mean 8? A few grades higher than 11d would be 12b or c.
Andy McQuillen · · Mesa, AZ · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 0

When you say that she backs down, does she take or downclimb? If she takes, then in theory she has already "fallen" on TR. If not, have her try the move and communicate to you when she feels in over her head and needs to rest. She obviously weights the rope when she gets to the chains, so maybe all you need to do is slowly introduce taking at different times throughout the route, like one move into the crux of a climb, then two, and three, and so forth. Ease into it gently until she's climbing through an entire route and possibly falling unexpectedly. Also, I'd much rather fall unexpectedly than look down at my last piece and consciously let go. Something about overcoming my body's natural inclination to not fall.

Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175
Don Ferris wrote: Climbing friend aleks, as the Sven thinking technique works so well for me I also advised her to do this. She told me to feel refreshed before climax. Has yet to work.
Climbing friend,

Do not think of Sven Lavransen when nearing of the climax, or it may bring you faster to the end. Only think of Sven Lavransen during difficult, enjoyable flash, when you must be needing your forearms becoming refreshed at crux.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Tips to help stop being a pansy. "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started