Mountain Project Logo

WA ice?

eyesonice2014 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 140
John Collis · · Moab · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 283

Bummer—Looks like you got the tools out for a scenic stroll at least. Does anybody have an idea of how long any of the routes up there (Leavenworth) should take to form up at ~15-20°F? Doesn't look like there's any shortage of moisture.

Lots of moisture, lots and lots and lots. What's missing is cold consistent weather. We are heading to Canada in the next couple of weeks. From the locals we heard January is more like it. Also that things come and go all the time. The gear shop in Leavenworth said some local dudes hike out and give them updates on what's in and what's coming in so it's worth to check with them.

Looks like Canada is your best bet now. Drive up to Hope, I heard there is a rumor of ice. Post pics.

Has anybody gone to Hope yet?

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969

What's around Hope?

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480
Nick Sweeney wrote:What's around Hope?
There's no Hope in dope
Ray Pinpillage · · West Egg · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 180
Nick Sweeney wrote:What's around Hope?
Short and curlies.
calvino · · Sedro Woolley · Joined May 2010 · Points: 425

I did some climbing in hope last Wednesday. We did three pitches of "a better mousetrap" , the original mousetrap was full of holes and had a lot of flowing water. I doubt it is still in, but looks like great potential. You take the first hope exit and can see most of the ice from the frontage road.

Hope BC ice climbing "a better mousetrap" wi3-

Hope is super thin. Marble canyon is in and fat. Alas we ran out of time and had to come back to the US. Will be back in a few days!

Ben Beckerich wrote: But is there dope in Hope? I can't belay if I can't burn
Hope can be sick but maple always delivers....so I heard. So we are going on the Canadian Loop ice hunting for 5 days next week.
Eli.M · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 0

Anybody been out to Banks yet?

Marlin Thorman · · Spokane, WA · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 2,415

This is the latest info I have seen.

cascadeclimbers.com/forum/u…

Look halfway down. Rafael_H posted pictures from the 1st and it was NOT in, apparently all dry. Maybe it formed up a bit over the weekend?? Good luck and post a conditions report if you get out there

John Collis · · Moab · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 283

Went up climbed the NE Buttress on Chair Peak last Friday. Route was icy! 1st 100m were kind of thin, easy ice/mixed terrain with only enough ice for 1 full screw, 1 stubby, and a piton. Upper pitches were nice hard neve, and the waterfall pitch was very pleasant easy grade 3 water ice.

What a shitty year for ice. Anybody know of anything in North Idaho? Or anywhere on the East side of WA?

TWrenO · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 0

Anyone have suggestions on the best areas to ice crag around Mt. Baker? I've never been to the area before. I saw that Peregrine Expeditions runs ice climbing classes all winter, so there must be something available close to the roads ( peregrineexpeditions.com/mt…).

I'm planning on being up in the Mt. Baker area in a couple of weeks visiting friends, so if there was easy access I was hoping to sneak a half-day or day of ice in as well.

Marlin Thorman · · Spokane, WA · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 2,415

Nick, I think everything in eastern WA and northern ID is mostly melted out. Copper Falls is good if it is in, but the temperatures are just too warm. Probably western MT around the Libby or Missoula area would be the closest ice that is in. Current weather forecast isn't too promising though with freezing levels rising to 10,000+ feet and temps in the 40s!

Marlin Thorman wrote:Nick, I think everything in eastern WA and northern ID is mostly melted out. Copper Falls is good if it is in, but the temperatures are just too warm. Probably western MT around the Libby or Missoula area would be the closest ice that is in. Current weather forecast isn't too promising though with freezing levels rising to 10,000+ feet and temps in the 40s!
Thanks Marlin. I did copper last year, fun climb but I agree that there is no way it's in now! I think I'm going to have to make a run to Hyalite or Canmore soon. Dying for ice!!!
J.C. Penny · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 15

Dam dam dam!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest
Post a Reply to "WA ice?"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.