Mountain Project Logo

The 2014-2015 Colorado Ice Conditions Thread

Highlander · · Ouray, CO · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 256
jselwyn wrote:Anyone know how the Tellirude area is looking?
Its been rock climbing weather around here for more than a week and looks like that is going to continue for a while, have not had the cold overnight lows needed, chance of rain and snow this weekend.
MTN MIA · · Vail · Joined May 2006 · Points: 405

Temps in Vail will be high 40s to 50 all week. Things are deteriorating quickly. Fang gone, Des is thin and wet with a long unprotected eggshell finish, no ice on the lLttle Thang and the Thang is melting fast. Sigh!
Rock climbing is good though on the sunny walls :-)

Peteoria Holben · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 60
GLD wrote:Grace falls was fat on Saturday. We also saw people on NE face of notchtop.
Could someone please elaborate on Notchtop conditions?
The Blueprint Part Dank · · FEMA Region VIII · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 460
J Antin wrote: Blueprint! We were at Vail all day yesterday, did you make it out for some pitches? J
My work commitments took up too much time unfortunately. I went up to the Pumphouse late Saturday evening hoping to TR solo a lap or two. But I decided against it because the flow was super wet and I was loathe to beat it up by running laps. I did some traversing at the base then glissading down and enjoyed exploring the approaches for some of the other areas before the sun set. Then my cell phone battery died and I wasn't able to call my co-worker to come back and pick me up, so I then enjoyed a leisurely stroll to the Vail Transit Center on the Frontage road. I especially enjoyed it when Luxus's and BMW's peppered me with gravel while leaving the country club.
Ted Eliason · · Westminster, CO · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 585
seth0687 wrote:Hey guys, here is a look at the NW Gully on Thatchtop. Deep Freeze and everything uphill aside from NW Gully was out.
Seth, was hunting for the NW Gully Saturday. Went up where it is red and hit a dead end so cut our losses at the Loch Vale crag. MP beta says its left of Deep Freeze. Gilpin says it to the right. Can you help with beta?
N Face of Thatchtop.

@ Gilroy, looks like it takes off where I put the green arrow
Keith Guillory · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 1,005

Saw tracks heading up that dead-end gully Sat. You need to go to the next gully to the west, climbers right of the steep rock face that holds no snow. If you walk along the south side of the Loch until you get to a break in the bank side going up there leads you through frozen bog to the correct gully.

Better luck next time!

Keith

sanjuanmtnguide · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 5

Alpine ice continues to be good in the Silverton, Ouray, and Telluride area: Ames is shaping up - see more detail here: mtnguide.net/blog/

Andy Hansen · · Longmont, CO · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 3,130

Grace Falls is not in. Super warm in RMNP today. Also not in: Hot Doggie. Very much not in but getting there.

LIV Veraldi · · Lone Tree, CO · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 495
Ted Eliason wrote: Seth, was hunting for the NW Gully Saturday. Went up where it is red and hit a dead end so cut our losses at the Loch Vale crag. MP beta says its left of Deep Freeze. Gilpin says it to the right. Can you help with beta? @ Gilroy, looks like it takes off where I put the green arrow
Ted - Green Arrow is the correct entrance. I have a few pics from last year and will share . . . sent some over on FB.
Noah McKelvin · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,500
Andy Hansen wrote:Grace Falls is not in. Super warm in RMNP today. Also not in: Hot Doggie. Very much not in but getting there.
You have a recent close up picture of Hot doggie by chance? Or anyone else?

Also Mixed Feelings is in pretty awesome shape right now. A #2 pecker sews her up fairly well, since the dagger isn't super fat this year.
Andy Hansen · · Longmont, CO · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 3,130
Noah8000 wrote: You have a recent close up picture of Hot doggie by chance? Or anyone else? Also Mixed Feelings is in pretty awesome shape right now. A #2 pecker sews her up fairly well, since the dagger isn't super fat this year.
Noah, I do not have a close up of Hot Doggie. We climbed up to the base, geared up, climbed up 10' and then climbed down. And by we I mean my partner. For what it's worth the ice about 35' up seems to be very well bonded to rock. The hanging dagger below that is, well, hanging and quite thin. Would be a sporty lead.
GLD · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 83
Andy Hansen wrote:Grace Falls is not in. Super warm in RMNP today. Also not in: Hot Doggie. Very much not in but getting there.
OK so perhaps I have my routes mixed up between Grace Falls. The next thing down the drainage is Guide's Wall but my understanding is that is much further down.
The first picture is what I think is Grace Falls

Grace Falls or Guide's Wall?

The next photo is NE face of Notchtop...is the very bottom Grace Falls?

NE Face of Notchtop

Finally, does the ice at the top of this photograph have a name? The skier is exiting the bottom of the East couloir on flattop. The ice touched down into the couloir but was thin, it looked thicker higher up.

Exit of Flattop East Couloir
Martin le Roux · · Superior, CO · Joined Jul 2003 · Points: 401

All Mixed Up is fat (and busy - 3 parties on a weekday). Continuous ice with decent protection the whole way. Top pitch is WI3. One short step lower down that might be WI3+.

Ali Jaffri · · Westminster, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 695

Went up to Moffat yesterday. The fall that forms right next to trail has not come in at all (not even verglas - dry as a bone). The main fall is partially in but hacked and beat-out to all hell and not worth the drive up.

The pillar that was farmed last year has started coming in and will need at least 2 weeks to be worthwhile (assuming temperatures drop and no-one hacks that down too).

Colin D. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 5

Silverplume is...climbable. I'm not sure if it can be considered "ice" but you get some hero sticks and ice screws may even hold a fall. Scariest part was the base of the climb where it looks like you could punch thru the snow into the running water underneath.

Silverplume condition

JDCH · · Seattle, Washington · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 0

Anyone been up to lincoln falls recently?

Scott McMahon · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,425

Anyone caught a glimpse of the overflow in RMNP? Was supposed to do a splitboard tour, but with poor snow (no) conditions it'll be good to have a back up plan with a buddy that hasn't ice climbed before.

LIV Veraldi · · Lone Tree, CO · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 495

Overflow is in - not stellar but in. Here's a closeup I took standing on the opposite side of Jewell Lake by the trail.

Overflow.

Scott McMahon · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,425

Sweet thanks LIV! Just looking for a little TR action and that'll do!

Thanks!!!

Jason Antin · · Golden, CO · Joined May 2009 · Points: 1,375
JDCH wrote:Anyone been up to lincoln falls recently?
JDCH - Lincoln Falls is in just fine. Go get it!

Jason

The Pillar.

The Bowling Alley - fatty fatness.

Middle Tier - looking good.

Jensens is full value right now, no snow step to reach the good gear, but still fun and doable!
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "The 2014-2015 Colorado Ice Conditions Thread"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.