Mountain Project Logo

Totem cam damage

Original Post
TJ Brumme · · Marrakech · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 1,648

The rubber that coats the steel wires on my totem cam split, right where the webbing is attached. It happened at some point in the past couple days while climbing at Joshua tree. Didn't take any falls on it or ever weight it, so not really sure when it happened.

Anyone else experience this with totem cams? I'll post a photo of the split tomorrow.

mapeze · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 10

Hello TBrumme,

I'm Mikel Apezetxea the Technical Manager of Totem MT. This breakage happens due to an internal pore in this part. This pore extends with time even with no load in the cam (this part is always loaded as it is forced to it's curved shape) and finally causes the visual breakage.

Even we had tried to completely resolve the issue, really we have not and we still suffer a very few breakages like yours. We are working on this but it seems not easy. The next to test is the translucent injection as it seems the only way to have a method to visually test all 100% units.

The failure is not critical as there is no chance for webbing cutting as the cable is still partially covered with the plastic and the webbing is supper over-sized (close to 30kN strength).

Could you give me please the serial number and size of the cam? The serial number is beneath the guide (4 digits and 3 digits).
I apologize for the inconvenience. We will exchange it for a new one and continue working to improve the quality.
Regards,

Worth Russell · · Rosendale, NY · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 40

Totem quaity control and. Explanation. Love this company and tell everyone who will listen about them. Keep cranking out the fine products that you do a d I will continue using

Joe Palma · · Stouffville, Ontario · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 35

Awesome Mikel. Superior products and service from Totem

Brasky · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 0

I have racked Totems this past season after trying almost every other cam on the market. Totems are hands down the best and now I can see their customer service matches the quality of their product. TOTEMS!

Colonel Mustard · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 1,241

Cool posts like these are EXACTLY why I rock trips in the totes!

DWF 3 · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 186

Looks like I'll be getting some totems.

Trad Princess · · Not That Into Climbing · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,175

Trips in Totes is a great start, but you've got a long way to go.

puff puff

mapeze wrote:Hello TBrumme, I'm Mikel Apezetxea the Technical Manager of Totem MT. This breakage happens due to an internal pore in this part. This pore extends with time even with no load in the cam (this part is always loaded as it is forced to it's curved shape) and finally causes the visual breakage. Even we had tried to completely resolve the issue, really we have not and we still suffer a very few breakages like yours. We are working on this but it seems not easy. The next to test is the translucent injection as it seems the only way to have a method to visually test all 100% units. The failure is not critical as there is no chance for webbing cutting as the cable is still partially covered with the plastic and the webbing is supper over-sized (close to 30kN strength). Could you give me please the serial number and size of the cam? The serial number is beneath the guide (4 digits and 3 digits). I apologize for the inconvenience. We will exchange it for a new one and continue working to improve the quality. Regards,
Awesome, thank you Mikel. I'll send you the serial number and photos later today.

Impressive customer service. I'll definitely be expanding my rack with more Totem cams!

Here are the photos

Totem cam

Cam damage

mapeze · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 10

Thanks for the photos.
That is indeed the breakage I explained in the post above.

Chris Simrell · · Leavenworth, WA · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 115

I finally created a MP account just to post this: Mikel, thanks for the refreshingly fast, frank, and professional response to a customer's public gear-performance inquiry. Fantastic. I own only one Totem cam (and I like it), but I'm further moved to buy more after reading this.

Sam Spuds · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 65

im sold. I was super stoked on the new aliens but have been hearing about issues with them. also feller at my gear shop says dealin with the company can be a pain. looks like im goin with totem!!

Colin Porter · · Stockholm, SE · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 5

"I was super stoked on the new aliens but have been hearing about issues with them"

Totem now makes Aliens too (the basic cam) and they kick ass.

Sam Spuds · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 65
Colin Porter wrote:"I was super stoked on the new aliens but have been hearing about issues with them" Totem now makes Aliens too (the basic cam) and they kick ass.
thats why I think im gonna snag some. any info on the sizing of them? compared to BD? I know they go .5 to 1.5 sizing but how small is totems .5
Trad Princess · · Not That Into Climbing · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,175

Obviously no cam is perfect, and no cam is the best at everything.

That being said, what I've seen of the two types of totem cam leaves me very impressed. The craftsmanship stands out, they are just finished well - similar feeling I get from DMM products. As we know, a huge part of placing pro is the mental boost it gives for the next moves. Something about these cams, the bite of the metal, or the difficulty in walking them, really gives an extra sense of security to the leader. I'm referring to the totem-totems mostly here, they just seem bomber like no other cam I've used.

All that said, I'd rather a well placed nut over a cam any day.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Totem cam damage "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started