Mountain Project Logo

Shoes delaminating

Original Post
Patrick Kehoe · · Fort Collins · Joined May 2010 · Points: 10

I had a pair of Scarpas in the car over the weekend. It wasn't THAT hot, and the entire sole peeled off. I've been climbing forever and never had that happen. Any thoughts?

Ian Cavanaugh · · Ketchum, ID · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 620

get new shoes, treat like baby...dont leave them in your car.

Patrick Kehoe · · Fort Collins · Joined May 2010 · Points: 10

Thank you

Doug Meneke · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 10

buy some barge cement (is similar to rubber cement), apply to the shoe sole and the "sticky" side of the rubber that peeled off, wait 1/2 hour, stick them together CAREFULLY (once it sticks, it stuck)...put them in front of your car tires and pull forward 4-6 inches, so your tires are on top of your shoes. Remove the following morning.

It's much easier than it sounds.

Ray Pinpillage · · West Egg · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 180
Patrick Kehoe wrote:Any thoughts?
They work better with the rubber still on the shoes.
Mr. Wonderful · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 10

For the complete sole to peel off, it sounds like a defect. I'd send them back to scarpa for a replacement.

My shoes are always in my car unless I'm using them, and Ive never seen that problem.

Jon H · · PC, UT · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 118

Hot car syndrome is usually the front 1/2" or so at the toe, not the entire the sole. Sounds like a defect to me. I've been climbing 15 years and had at least 30+ pairs of shoes and plenty have been left in the car and none have ever had the entire sole peel off.

But barge cement will work and a tube will be cheaper than even postage to send the shoes back.

Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974
Mr. Wonderful wrote:For the complete sole to peel off, it sounds like a defect. I'd send them back to scarpa
How much is your life worth?

You should send them back to Scarpa for destructive testing and analysis.

Better send the car too, just in case.
Johanna Corinne · · Golden, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 30

Tip from Scarpa's website on how to take care of your shoes and avoid problems with delamination;

"Don’t leave your rock shoes in a hot car (or expose to any type of heat), or even – when possible to avoid it – in direct sunlight." - blog.scarpa.com/avoiding-pr…

The temperature inside your car can exceed 87 °C (190 °F) on an average summer day. Because of the color of surfaces in the car and the trapped moisture and CO2, a "greenhouse" effect turns your can into a natural convection oven. It is reasonable that the shoe may delaminate at these temperatures, so I can't agree that it's a manufacture defect. If heat is a component to assembling the shoe, then of course it would be a factor in disassembling them as well.

That being said, I generally leave a pair of shoes in the car as well, I just try to keep them in a light colored bag closest to the floor and definitely crack a window. A friend of mine just ran into the same problem and is in a conversation with Scarpa about replacements. They may likely cover it, just try to avoid it in the future. Good luck! We all run into issues like this and have to find ways around it.

Mike Cara · · Hendersonville, NC · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 21

Drive to Boulder. Pearl Street to be exact. Walk into Scarpa HQ. Get a new pair.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Shoes delaminating"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started