Mountain Project Logo

Brian Delaney Memorial - Fatality at Cathedral Ledge - July 12, 2014

Original Post
Chuck Weber · · SoPo, ME · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 45

I wish to start a thread in honor of a fellow climber who passed away today before we could extricate him to the ambulance. If you were not there or did not know him, please do NOT comment with endless speculation regarding the event unless you were there or have something positive to say about the man. This is an attempt to honor him and gather info for his family who will certainly be struggling to deal with this unexpected horrible loss.

For those that were there, I don't recall all your names, but please add anything you think would help the family deal with this tragedy.

I'll just call him "Brian" for now (full name witheld on original post) - to the best of our knowledge, Brian had rigged his rope from atop the cliff and was about to rappel to the base of the cliff for some top rope soling of a relatively short route on Barber Wall. As an experienced climber, I'm sure he'd done this many times and it is normally a perfectly safe practice, but something horribly went wrong at the top today. The very first responders were other climbers from the area and they could not tell from the scene exactly what went wrong. He fell about 60ft to the base of the cliff and it was immediately assessed that due to his multitude of injuries, he could not be moved w/o a litter and professional medical assistance.

Brian was coherent and communicative the entire time I witnessed, but he could not tell us exactly why or how he fell. He spoke briefly and lovingly of his family.

911 was called immediatley and local cliff rescue personnel were on site as quickly as possible. When the EMTs arrived the patient was given IV fluids, secured on a backboard and then into a litter to be hand carried out by fellow climbers and rescue volunteers. An air evac was being coordinated to get him to a hospital, but despite our best efforts we could not get him to the ambulance before his blood pressure dropped too low due to internal bleeding from the injuries of his fall.

My heart goes out to Brian's family and friends as they deal with this unexpected loss. Please post any remembrance and positive comments you have to offer of our fallen comrade.

rgold · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 526

Oh my god; what terrible terrible news. Brian was a central figure in New Hampshire climbing history. My heartfelt condolences to friends and family.

Greg DeMatteo · · W. Lebanon, NH · Joined May 2007 · Points: 315

I am very saddened by this news. All my best to his family and I'm glad that he was surrounded by caring people when he passed.

Rosalieva · · southshore MA · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 5

thank you for assisting him...prayers to the family and climbing community

ChefMattThaner · · Lakewood, co · Joined May 2013 · Points: 246

I am so sorry to hear this news. Thank you to those who responded to and helped with the rescue. My deepest condolences go out to friends and family of a great memeber of the climbing community.

john strand · · southern colo · Joined May 2008 · Points: 1,640

Bryan was a pioneer in NE as well as the Indian Creek area. A super talented and really nice guy.

Mark Hudon · · Lives on the road · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 420

I'm so sorry to hear this. I didn't know Brian well at all but he was one of the youg kids who was learning to climb along with me back then.

Chuck Drew · · Cape Elizabeth, ME · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 115

Hi Chuck,

Thank you for sharing. Im sitting here with Brian's wife and she loved what you had to say. If its okay, she'd love to talk with you. Her home number is 207 - 885 0262. Call her any time.

Thanks.

Chuck Drew

Not Me · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 15

Thank you Chuck for being there and comforting him while he passed on. It doesn't surprise me in the least that he spoke of his wife and daughter - he loved them with all he was. He was a dear friend and amazing man and there are a lot of devastated people around the country right now.

Matt King · · Durango, CO · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 327

So sorry for the loss of this gentleman! Does anyone know what device he was using. Not looking to start a discussion, but I have been doing this for 18 years and am just curious. You are in my prayers!

Thanks,

Matt

Bill B · · New Hampshire · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 220

Link to today's article in the Conway Daily Sun about Brian and the accident...

conwaydailysun.com/newsx/lo…

Paul Ross · · Keswick, Cumbria · Joined Apr 2001 · Points: 22,236

Condolences to Brian's family.He was always in the forefront of rock and ice climbing in New Hampshire. Well remembered in my days on the crags when I lived in North Conway. A really great lad. Paul Ross UK.

Matt Levine · · Portsmouth, NH · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 110

His reputation preceded him. I never met Brian but I've heard the name many times. I would like to wish all the best and condolences to his family. It seems like he was a great man. Rest easy, Brian.

Jeffrey Dunn · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 229

Very sad. My condolences to Brian's family and the rest of the New England climbing community as they gather to remember a fine man.

Hello everyone, we have set up an email address to collect stories and photos of our dear friend Brian Delaney. It is incredibly comforting to his family to hear of the ways he touched the hearts of so many people for so long. If you ever shared a smile or a conversation or a rope with him, met him through work or as a fellow parent, anything at all, please take a moment to send a reflection to briandelaneymemorial@gmail.com.

Pictures are also very much appreciated.

If you would like access to the email account to read the stories, please also let us know (we will also compile them and print hard copies later). He touched so many people and we are struggling to contact them all - please share this so we can reach as many of them as we can.

It is great to see so many thoughts and stories on here. Brian's family would be comforted if you took a moment to forward them on to the email account. Thanks to you all.

briandelaneymemorial@gmail.com

PBazanchuk · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 0

I read about Brian in the local paper this morning. My condolences to his family.
I haven't seen Brian in a few decades but remember him from back in Western Mass. He was a few years younger than I and climbed many grades harder. I can picture him in his long red locks, white painters pants and yellow and blue rugby shirt at the local crags (Ragged, Farley, Chapel...). One of the most friendly climbers of the day.

john strand · · southern colo · Joined May 2008 · Points: 1,640

Among Bryan's finer achievements in NH..the f/a of the classic Lichen It A Lot on Cathedral and what was certainly one of the hardest pitches around at the time Women in love P1 11D in 1975

Of course many more..

Bryan F Becker · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 0

When I first visited New England to climb with Ed Webster and Jimmy Dunn fresh out of high school in 1975 I had the priviledge of meeting Brian - long red locks and all. His parents put me up at their house while Brian took me around to several classic and obscure crags to show me his climbing world and share it's history and tradition. Being from Colorado I never knew so much rock could be tucked away in the forests! Brian was a much better free climber than me at the time and I remember him belaying patiently while I struggled to second some of his leads.
I remember his parents lending me a copy of Tom Patey's book "One Mans Mountains" and our conversations about trying to climb with grace - both physically and in spirit. I learned a lot from Brian and his folks that helped guide and temper my approach to climbing over the years. Their hospitality and Brian's easy going manner I'll never forget. It was a priviledge to know and climb with Brian. His sudden passing, I'm sure, leaves a hole in the lives of many. He'll be missed. My heart goes out to his family.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Memorial
Post a Reply to "Brian Delaney Memorial - Fatality at Cathedral…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started