Mountain Project Logo

Cheaper in Italy?

Original Post
Eric Schnepel · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 320

This May I'll be heading to Europe for a few months to do some climbing. I'll be going to Kalymnos, the Italian Dolomites, Switzerland, and Ceuse. I'm debating on whether it would be wise to travel there without climbing shoes and pick up a pair of Sportivas when I arrive in Milan. Does anyone know whether Italian climbing shoes are more reasonable in Italy (or any of the other places I mentioned, for that matter), or will I just get destroyed by the exchange rate? I've done some poking around on Italian sport store websites, but most do not post pricing. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Eric

Jon Frisby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 270

My buddy was in Venice last semester. He said gear was more expensive if not the same.

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 21,746
Eric Schnepel wrote:...the Italian Dolomites...and pick up a pair of Sportivas when I arrive in Milan.
Go to the La Sportiva shop on your way to the Dolomites. If they have your size ("if"), you could get a great deal on shoes.

Otherwise...I'd bring shoes. Not cheap in Europe and not usually on sale either, especially "in season".
Norm Rasmussen · · North Jersey · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 866

The stuff you already own is usually cheaper.

Mark R · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Norm3 wrote:The stuff you already own is always cheaper.
Norm3 wrote:The stuff you already own is always cheaper.
Norm3 wrote:The stuff you already own is usually cheaper.
Norm3 gave such good advice,
it warranted repeating thrice.
Norm Rasmussen · · North Jersey · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 866

Sometimes I think New Jersey internet connections are still using dial up

Norm3 wrote:Sometimes I think New Jersey internet connections are still using dial up
Your connection is just being throttled for disagreeing with the governor.
Brad M · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 0

I found shoes and most gear to be much cheaper in Italy. I bought new scarpas and laspos in Arco for a considerable discount over NA prices. Bring your shoes though.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492
Brian in SLC wrote: Go to the La Sportiva shop on your way to the Dolomites. If they have your size ("if"), you could get a great deal on shoes. Otherwise...I'd bring shoes. Not cheap in Europe and not usually on sale either, especially "in season".
Great point. If they don't have your size in stock, your vacation goes down the tubes.
Ed Wright · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2006 · Points: 285

You should be able to find climbing shoes over there a bit cheaper but EVERYTHING else will be MUCH more expensive.

I've found that every time I think gear is going to be cheaper abroad it turns out that online sales in the US are still king. Free shipping + past season clearance or 20% or whatever.

Rocks and Snow · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 0

Does it really matter how much cheaper they are?

They pack pretty small, and any space you save on the way there will be eaten up by the shoes you just purchased on the way back.

Save the possible headache, and bring shoes.

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 21,746

I think if you compare prices at spots like Barrebes in Spain and Crux Move in Milan, you'll see their prices are higher than US retail.

Sometimes you can find amusing old gear for sale...that might be at a good price. I remember the 80's!

Shoes for sale in shop in Valmalenco, Italy

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Cheaper in Italy?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started