Mountain Project Logo

Starved Rock Ice 2013/14

John Hein · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 65

topping out on Lasalle, check out that Bozo belay, ha ha

Woodchuck ATC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 3,280

Belay? I thought LaSalle was always accepted as a warm up free solo? Oh, maybe not with the gear back in '84. LOL,,great old pic!!!

Juggler Jones · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 1,185

I thought this thread was about SRSP In 2013-2014??

;)

Double J · · Sandy, UT · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 3,952

Oh Juggler...

John Hein wrote:topping out on Lasalle, check out that Bozo belay, ha ha
LOL,,reminds me of the old fashioned over the shoulder belay of 40's 50's era. Or Spencer Tracy pulling up Robert Wagner, hand over bloody hand dead weight on the rope in awful '56 movie called 'The Mountain', loosely copied from historic 'Banner in the Sky' book written by James Ramsey Ullman. Those were real mountain man belays back then.
jon jugenheimer wrote:Oh Juggler...
oh JJ ;)
Doug Hemken · · Madison, WI · Joined Oct 2004 · Points: 13,678

Someone needs to move all these pics to their respective routes ... they are worth saving for posterity.

Doug, how do I move them, and where do they belong?sorry, i have no idea as to what i am doing, other than putting up photos for a few to see, again, sorry for being a newbie

John, if you look at this part of the web site you can upload photos to each route.

It looks like this area needs an admin (Hoffman is someone who is adding geodata all over the website). Woodchuck??

Got your message and invite,,but sadly my computer skills are awful, my windows XP is gonna die soon, my internet server is so slow I often cant get online for hours..so even though I have alot of the old pics now scanned for a slide show presentation out our way,,I'm not the one for posting everything here. I'll try to add pics as I get them to the right spots later too.
Meanwhile today at SRSP was AWESOME!!!! Great to mee Shane from Ch 8 WQAD TV from Davenport area. The ice is in great condition. Don't believe anyone who says it's melting down. Wildcat was a bit wet on the right, has water running within the center section, but is Building Yet! It's fat, it's solid, no horizontal cracks, lots of attachment on top. It would take a week of 50's and inches of rain to ruin this. You can be sure to be out there next weekend, and remember,,,the new Supt. of the park does NOT make decisions and suddenly choose to close up the ice climbs. He trusts our decisions, our overall knowledge and experience to get on or off the ice. So I figure a couple weeks for sure yet, even more if we get another 3 day cold spell anytime, any nights back in 20's will save the day for sure. Pic attached today from Wildcat, about noon, temps wonderful, no jacket required. I didn't get to Tonti, but still read on sign in sheet that it is in ,and not in bad shape judging from the pics posted above earlier this week. What a great day, my first out there on ice for quite some time, and it was fabulous.

Wildcat ice on 3-7-14 at noon. Fantastic ice!

So psyched to hear you went out for the filming!

Among other things, it lets Park folks know that many people are interested in ice climbing. Besides having a great day, you did a good deed for the community, Mark. Thanks!

Doug Hemken wrote:So psyched to hear you went out for the filming! Among other things, it lets Park folks know that many people are interested in ice climbing. Besides having a great day, you did a good deed for the community, Mark. Thanks!
You are welcome.... we had a great time doing it.

News Crew

GroupSRSP
Doug Hemken wrote:So psyched to hear you went out for the filming! Among other things, it lets Park folks know that many people are interested in ice climbing. Besides having a great day, you did a good deed for the community, Mark. Thanks!
Their director of Marketing, Kathy Casstevens was also there to talk to us and the TV team, and was excited to see something new and exciting to show on a western IL tv station to pull visitors from that side of the state to the park too.

Here's the link to the Quad cities Channel 8 story on SRSP:

wqad.com/2014/03/11/breatht…

Anybody been down there since the 11th or so? Wonder how the ice is holding out in warmer temps and a bit of rain.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Midwest
Post a Reply to "Starved Rock Ice 2013/14"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started