Mountain Project Logo

La Sportiva Tradmaster shoe, good or bad?

-sp · · East-Coast · Joined May 2007 · Points: 75
DFrench wrote:Alright, all you TC Pro lovers out there. What is the deal with the tongue of the shoe? That's all I can feel grinding into the top of my toes when I wear these. Does this eventually break in? Anyone else have this problem?
The tongue doesn't extend down to the top of my toes. It stops right at the end of my foot (before the toes), and I don't feel any pressure or binding, so maybe I don't understand your issue?

But I will say that the edge of the tongue can roll if you pull on it while putting the shoes on which can cause a pressure point on the edge of the foot. I make sure the laces are loose quite a ways down before I start put them on. Then I pay attention to how it feels while snugging them up.
Dan Wachlaczenko · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 85

I have Tradmaster size 43.5 used twice _ will sell cheap- let me know

Rich Farnham · · Nederland, CO · Joined Aug 2002 · Points: 297
DFrench wrote:Alright, all you TC Pro lovers out there. What is the deal with the tongue of the shoe? That's all I can feel grinding into the top of my toes when I wear these. Does this eventually break in? Anyone else have this problem?
I definitely get this on my left foot, but not my right for some reason. All I have to do is adjust the tongue slightly before lacing up, and it isn't an issue. I haven't dug down into the boot to see what the issue is, but it feels like the stiching around the edge of the tongue.
Jennifer Barton · · Champaign, IL · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 25
Will S · · Joshua Tree · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 1,061

Why not just get another pair of Newtons? They're making them again.

Mic Fairchild · · Boulder · Joined Jan 2003 · Points: 360

yea, just buy some Newtons that are your size! Maybe somebody you know has a used pair for cheap.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

I had the rubber replaced on my Tradmasters soon after getting them, because I had heard about the poor rubber they come with. I think the Tradmaster is a comfortable all-day shoe. It smears well (with the new rubber resole) is comfortable in cracks, but doesn't edge well. Still, I think it is a decent shoe.

ajax7 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 5

I have had the same pair of Tradmasters for about 3.5 years now and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THEM... granted, they are the only pair of climbing shoes I have ever owned and so I can't really compare them to anything else. They have taken me up mountains across the country, difficult and delicate sport climbs and... well I don't boulder much but most of all CRACKS!

1. They are extremely comfortable, the lining can get pretty smelly but hopefully thats because you've been wearing them for hours on end... or years..

2. I'v had them resoled once and that was only because they had become so rounded off that I thought it would help with edging, it did, briefly but lets face it, they are not edging shoes (regardless, I use them for EVERYTHING) and I have to admit they did feel better once resoled, although I never thought them to be slippery to begin with though.

I love my Tradmasters and being that I am just a poor if not more so then when I started climbing, I would get them again. If I had more to spend it MIGHT be a different story.

Nate Manson · · San Diego, CA · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 135
ajax7 wrote:I have had the same pair of Tradmasters for about 3.5 years now and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THEM....

Way to revive a 2 year old thread!
ajax7 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 5
I'll take it!

Just blew through the rand on the left one.....
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Reviews
Post a Reply to "La Sportiva Tradmaster shoe, good or bad?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started