Mountain Project Logo

Mineral Mountains?

Original Post
AnthonyJ · · Salt Lake City UT · Joined May 2008 · Points: 45

Does anyone know where I can get some info on this area? I saw a picture of an area called the Geode Dome, it looked pretty awesome. All I know is that it's in the Mineral mountains near Milford UT.

Tristan Higbee · · Pocatello, ID · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 2,970

There's some info over here on rockclimbing.com, including info on Geode Dome. The area looks pretty rad, but I've never been there.

There's some good info on camping (and a tiny bit of climbing info) and access here.

Let me know if you want a partner for going down there and repeating existing stuff or maybe doing some FAs.

-Tristan

Eastvillage · · New York, NY · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 80

I drove through here years ago and it looked great. I'd love to hear more.

climbingsource.com/LocalBet…

Reed Fee · · White Salmon WA · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 155

Wow that place looks way cool. I would love to go down there and put a few routes up.

M L · · Sonora, CA · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 165

Garrett's new guide should have a fairly big section on the minerals.

Christian "crisco" Burrell · · PG, Utah · Joined May 2007 · Points: 1,815

It's amazing how much I am hearing about this place now. It seems like this might be a hot spot come fall.

ddriver · · SLC · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 2,084

first, most of whats readily accessible is highly weathered choss

second, there's tons of stuff not readily accessible, so good luck

Rich Connors · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 302

Has anyone been in this area recently? Thinking of heading down south to explore the area and ideally get on Geode Dome. Any idea if there's snow? Would love to hear about anyone's recent trip!

markmaguire Maguire · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined May 2010 · Points: 5

That place is super choss. Really cool hang though

PerryTheFoodie · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 0

Where is Geode Dome? I heard great things about the place a lot of times..

ddriver · · SLC · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 2,084

This is from a heli flyover I did in '96, approaching from the NW aspect. It gives you an idea of just how much choss there is out there. I think Geode Dome is the prominent tooth at the far right in this photo, approached from the right as seen here.

Mineral Mtns Flyover

BobGray · · Salt Lake City, Utah · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 711

I think the choss comment is to scare people away, because I've only found high quality rock so far...

Jonas Salk · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 10

One of my favorite climbing stories is from climbing in the Minerals. As I belayed my buddy I could hear the little rocks whizzing down the face as the holds broke off under his hands and feet. When it was my turn to climb, it was one of the scariest pitches I've ever seconded. The holds just crumbled as I went up. I never knew if I was gonna peel and pendulum out over the abyss, dragging the rope over hundreds of sharp crystals. Maybe there is solid rock out there, I wouldn't know. We never found any. It is an absolutely beautiful area to be in though, so by all means, go camp out and see for yourself. I'll never go there to climb again though.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern Utah & Idaho
Post a Reply to "Mineral Mountains? "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started