Mountain Project Logo

Possible Area by Mineral, WA

Original Post
RandyEL · · WA · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 25

I have heard rumors about a newish crag out between Elbe and Mineral that is just coming online. I want to go and check it out, but I know that its hidden off some old logging road. I know that it is far enough away and undeveloped so the beta is hard to come by, if the developers want to keep it under wraps for some time I understand. But with so much other stuff further north and east of the mountains I can't see it getting overrun. Thanks for any potential help, I might be left to explore it on my own sadly...

David Stephens · · Superior AZ/Spokane WA · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 987

Mile marker 11...good luck

jordand · · Seattle, WA · Joined May 2012 · Points: 100

Wasn't aware that WA had any limestone sport routes. Looks pretty sweet!

jordand wrote:Wasn't aware that WA had any limestone sport routes. Looks pretty sweet!

Not on the Wetside there is no Limestone, this is Sandstone.
Benny Hugh · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 0

If I were to go out there and find this magical place, are there any not red tagged routes that I could get on without pissing anybody off?

From what I remember one of the guys telling me, there are still several projects that have yet to go free. This was last winter so things may have changed.

One of the developers was telling everybody two years ago. At that time, I had the only project with a red tag on it. Someone other than myself took the tag down before I sent it. I live in Spokane, so after I sent the climb I named it "Red Tagged Whore" just for them. The other developers don't finish bolting there routes (missing bolts) and are happy just top roping them until they get wired and ready to fire. As far as I'm concerned the crag was opened up two years ago. There is maybe 12 routes with a few unfinished projects.

enjoy

Logan Fuzzo · · Portland, OR · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 437

I've been there! bring a broom, its sandy in the pockets. I remember a ~45 min hike up a road, then 10 mins of schwacking to get to the base. there is a warm up 5.9 on the far right, the rest are 5.10-5.11+ range. Do the 5.9, the rappel is sweet, and so is the view!

Thanks guys, I appreciate the beta. I look forward to exploring and finding it!

While we are all on the topic of climbing areas, does anybody know who is developing 'World Wall 2' in North Bend? I stumbled upon it once by accident while roaming about with my dog, and climbed there once with a friend of mine. I do not think that it is a big secret, more so that routes start at about 5.12b and there are not many climbers of that caliber in the area. Please pm me if you know anything, I don't want to go around spraying beta on its location if it is still on the dl.

btustison Tustison · · Tacoma, Washington · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 5

I wish I could zoom a little closer on Google Earth, I think I see where it might be. So many bare clear cuts that it is hard to tell what is rock and what is dead trees.
I will have to explore in person over spring break.

I am headed to look for it tomorrow with the old lady. I will let you know what I find. Unless of course you want to find it on your own, which is half the fun.

dylandylandylandylan anddylan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 107

I think my buddy Heat might know. He says to hit him up.

Oh no shit?! You guys wanna come to? My phone is dead as of right now, but I have been periodically checking on here. I think it'd be a good adventure and distraction from studying for a bit!

Andrew Love · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 10

Mile marker 11 is very vague. I heard about this last year and have been trying to find it since then. It is the closest place to me and I would love to check it out if anyone could oblige me with some better directions it would be monumentally appreciated

Andrew Love · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 10

Thanks!

Quincy aka Tiffany Samson · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 1,174

I found this wall yesterday. The directions are quite vague and I'd like to add to them. Are there any issues with me posting beta? I'm not sure if the developers are wanting to keep this under the radar, and I'd like to be respectful about it. Is there any published beta about this wall already? Or can someone send me some route info? It was scary climbing up unknown routes, but I'd like to return because sandstone is so amazing.

Drederek · · Olympia, WA · Joined Mar 2004 · Points: 315

After losing access to a different crag on weyerhauser land I suspect keeping this low key would provide the longest access for the most amount of people.  I'm curious how the bolts are holding up and if anyone ever put up anything on the really steep crag a few hundred meters east of this one.

Jon Nelson · · Redmond, WA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 8,196

The lack of routes posted there might not have anything to do with an effort to stay "low key".

I think there were routes posted before, but the descriptions and location info were so useless that I deleted them. If you post a route, consider if there is enough info for folks to find the route. If not, it might get deleted.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest
Post a Reply to "Possible Area by Mineral, WA"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.