Mountain Project Logo

What does your Woody look like???

TBlom · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2004 · Points: 360

James,
If you have a garage, build your climbing wall there. When you are done climbing, go swimming.
Unless you live someplace very warm, getting wet while climbing will lose its appeal.

Without the cost of wheels, hinges, and engineering feats, you will probably be able to have twice the climbing wall. (and your lady friend will be happier)

Jamespio Piotrowski · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 5

You guys give up too easy, and you're all at least twice the climber I am, since I'm the one who gives up too easy out on real rock. :)

I am going to build an outdoor woody on the front of the garage, that's pretty much a given. The pool is, however, on the side of the garage. I may have to scale my plan down, but by August my kids and I will be taking falls into our pool one way or the other.

3/4" plywood weighs closer to 2.5 pounds per square foot. So if I dialed down to a 6'x10' wall (4x10 just seems TOO small), I'd have under 100lbs of ply; framing and hardware would probably be another 100lbs. Still a heavy beast, but a more manageable one, and when not being used for playing over the pool, could be rigged as a system wall.

Adam Stackhouse · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 13,970

If anybody ever has any of those old Yaniro smooth pocket holds that they wish to part with, I'd like to hear from you

"Power Holds"

Adam ant · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 55

just put this up last week. now to try and learn the finer points of route setting.

framework

fresh plywood

wall unfinished but setting a route anyways

climbing when I should be working

Tavis Ricksecker · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 4,246

Looking good Adam, nice and tall :)

@James
Sounds like you are going to do it!

A rolling base that supports a overhanging wall will need to have a lot of counterweight, or some temporary tie downs near the pool.

You could set some permanent footers by the pool that the wall would attach to. A fulcrum point and chain might work, but you will need a very stout/heavy anchor point.

Adam ant · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 55
Tavis Ricksecker wrote:Looking good Adam, nice and tall :)
I was hoping it would be taller but that darn roof got it the way.
Woodchuck ATC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 3,280

" I love the smell of fresh plywood in the morning..smells like,,,,Victory"...And dam that roof, cut a hole in it and keep building !!

--- Invalid image id: 108625458 ---

Adam Stackhouse · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 13,970

Travis, the beer is out of focus. Please retake the picture. ;-)

Right, Sir! Maybe it was me that was out of focus at that moment :)

progress so far on my buddies wall.
A little more blocking and we'll be ready for plywood. We found some decent 3/4" tongue-and-groove plywood that had a nicer finished face.

50 degree wall and `75-30 degree box.

garagewall

garagewall2

Tavis Ricksecker wrote:
Nice looking set up , massive sized place you will have. Reminds me of my first indoor built wall I did in a barn hayloft back in '89. Great angles.

Tevis, that's a cool little wall! Get that ply up and crank! :)

Woodchuck, thanks! It is a massive project indeed. Been working on it for about four weeks now, pretty much all my spare time. Just a few accessory panels to frame now and then we will be ready for lighting and the ply :)

Mile9 Earl · · Logan · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 30
Tavis Ricksecker wrote:
What are your plans to floor an area that big? Looks amazing by the way.

Thanks man. As for the flooring, I really like the way Greg Stokes did his floor, so someday when I have the money I will put that in. His floor is 4" open cell foam topped with 2" closed cell foam topped with carpet. But I have 24'x24' so I think the total price tag for that floor would be $4000-$6000 or more. Until then just old crash pads and mattresses.

GhaMby Eagan · · Heaven · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 385
sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho…

Anyone have ideas on how to incorporate slopers on this wall? The only thing I can come up with is volumes, which I hate and placing them along the left, vertical side for a traverse.
Tavis Ricksecker wrote:Tevis, that's a cool little wall! Get that ply up and crank! :) Woodchuck, thanks! It is a massive project indeed. Been working on it for about four weeks now, pretty much all my spare time. Just a few accessory panels to frame now and then we will be ready for lighting and the ply :)
I know the feeling,,all my evenings, weekends, and every cent of spare money I had went into my 78 ft wide, 26 ft high indoor wall back in '89-90. Massive job, tons of lumber, thousands of thousands of t-nuts drilled and pounded, and hundreds of holds to put up and try out. I loved every minute of it!!!

Now THAT sounds legit. Roped climbing or bouldering or both?

Amy Jordan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 275
The garage wall

This is the woody in our "garage". It looks impractical, since it juts outwards and looks like it consumes a lot of space, but there's a room behind it for gear storage so it actually turns out to be a good use of space. The wall is 12.5' high.

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started