Mountain Project Logo

Initial impressions of Trango Rock Prodigy Training Center (RPTC) hangboard

Monomaniac · · Morrison, CO · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 17,295
Jon Zucco wrote:Mono, when is your book coming out?
Good question! I'll let you know when I know :)
slim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 1,103
Monomaniac wrote: That sounds reasonable. Note that one half could be permanently fixed, and then you would adjust only the other half from side to side. Maybe you said this and I missed it (you may want an extra eyebolt below the board so your pulley system can be centered for both users). I thought if I were to do this I would build a track, like for a sliding door or window, out of some kind of lumber, with the moving half mounted to a piece of lumber or plywood that would slide in the track. That would allow for nearly infinite width adjustment.
i was thinking the same thing about keeping one half fixed and using a second eybolt (but was short on time when replying). this would be a pretty good way to do it.

i had originally thought of using two horizontal pipes with clamps so you could slide them together or apart. that would be pretty cool. it would also be a good setup for a climbing gym.
Jon Zucco · · Denver, CO · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 245

What about having 2x4s run along the top and bottom with a groove or tongue routed out that created a groove when mounted against the back board. You could mount each half on independent 3/4" boards like you mentioned, slim. Then mount those to the sliding boards to make them flush with the 2x4 runners. The two base boards could slide freely within those grooves. You could drill some holes in each 2x4 for a couple hand knobs/screw clamps to hold each board in place when you've gotten the right width.

but may be more complicated than it's worth.

independent sliding mount boards

Lanky · · Tired · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 255

You could try a French cleat system with clamps or bolts to lock the boards in place. French cleats are dead simple.

Jon Zucco wrote:What about having 2x4s run along the top and bottom with a groove or tongue routed out that created a groove when mounted against the back board. You could mount each half on independent 3/4" boards like you mentioned, slim. Then mount those to the sliding boards to make them flush with the 2x4 runners. The two base boards could slide freely within those grooves. You could drill some holes in each 2x4 for a couple hand knobs/screw clamps to hold each board in place when you've gotten the right width. but may be more complicated than it's worth.
That's what I was thinking, except only one hald would slide. You could use a simple carpentry clamp or two to hold the move half in position
Lanky wrote:You could try a French cleat system with clamps or bolts to lock the boards in place. French cleats are dead simple.
That looks slick. I wonder if the torque on the board would make it pull away from vertical?
M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911
Lanky wrote:You could try a French cleat system with clamps or bolts to lock the boards in place. French cleats are dead simple.
I've been using this method to hang cabinets for years now and recently even hung a vertical 4'x8' climbing wall for my 3 year old this way as well.

If you make the lower cleat out of a wider board(2x8 instead of 2x4)it would not move a bit

That French Cleat system looks great. Drawing from that and MJ's specs on lumber size it seems like it would be very solid. The top cleat is a 2x4 cut at a 30 to 45 degree angle. The bottom cleat has a matching and opposite angle, and is 2x8. Mounting each cleat to it's respective board with bolts would make it super solid. The back board adds a more solid surface for the top cleat to rest against than a wall.

French Cleat Sliding Mounts (probably overkill on the bolts for the bottom rail)

Nate Reno · · Highlands Ranch, CO · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 156

Don't do it. Your girl already has way better technique from climbing the same stuff w/ way less strength.
Get her on the hangboard and she'll be warming up on your projects in a matter of months, then be out the door and shackin' up w/ the first hardman she finds.

haha, I doubt it. She probably won't even use it...

Nice. I like it.

Yes, the bottom cleat would be a continuous rail. The dowel pins would be a good easy way to prevent lateral motion during the session. If I build this out though, I'd probably leave both boards free floating instead one fixed, as this is going to fit over a door way. I'd rather keep both halves centered regardless of the width.

Leaving both boards free floating and the bottom cleat rail semi-permanent would also allow switching out hangboards if one were so inclined.

Jon Zucco wrote:haha, I doubt it. She probably won't even use it...
i think he was talking to me :(
Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974

The Spot just installed a RPTC board on a track. It's super easy to adjust the width and seems plenty stable.

RPTC at the Spot

GhaMby Eagan · · Heaven · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 385
Mark E Dixon wrote:The Spot just installed a RPTC board on a track. It's super easy to adjust the width and seems plenty stable.
Mark,

What is on the back side of the moving board? thin piece of plywood???

Does it freely slide and just rely on friction to keep it in place while hangboarding? My guess is if it's set in the right place for your shoulders then it shouldn't be able to slide to the sides (because all the force will be in the down, y, direction).
Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974
DoesNotCare wrote: Mark, What is on the back side of the moving board? thin piece of plywood??? Does it freely slide and just rely on friction to keep it in place while hangboarding? My guess is if it's set in the right place for your shoulders then it shouldn't be able to slide to the sides (because all the force will be in the down, y, direction).
I'll try to take a closer look next time I'm at the Spot. You might have better luck calling or emailing Jackie, their head setter. I believe this was her inspiration.

that looks great!

419 · · Sacramento · Joined May 2010 · Points: 520

Do eye bolts consistently distribute a load?
Is the "Rock Prodigy" pulley kit that is recommended an up sell or necessity?
I'm leaning towards the former.

Seriously, great branding, very well deserved. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is buying from Trango for the first time. I'm glad the Anderson Brothers found a bigger market.

Jonathan

whether it be an upsell, or a pulley and eye bolt from the hardware store, it is pretty much essential for effective HB workouts.

Jeffrey Arthur · · Westminster, CO · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 290

I bought (2) eyebolts and (2) pulleys from Home Depot for about $5 and they work perfect. If you dig through Mark's website he says if you want to spend some cash purchase the Trango setup, if not just head to the local hardware store. I didn't get the impression of an upsell at all.

SteveZ · · Excelsior, MN · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 431

I used my new board for the first time the other day and would echo everyone else that it's great.

I tried using the small hateful square crimp...mercy! Super realistic though which is awesome. Perfect for all the vertical crimpfests on the front range here. I just need to buy more weight to take off or get stronger before I can touch them again.

Awesome texture on this thing and the pockets are comfy.

Very excited for the book coming out soon too.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Training Forum
Post a Reply to "Initial impressions of Trango Rock Prodigy Trai…"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.